Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times

Advertisements

I have NOT been on here.....just haven't had much time......wanted to say hi to all. We went to Missoula last week.....didn't get to see our girl very much because she was studying for 3 mid terms. It was colder than our area in CO. There was light rain each day, for half of the day.....

We ran errands for her and basically only saw her at dinner time...... One day my husband and I drove out to Flathead Lake......ate at a cute bakery in Polson.......had Indian Fry Bread for the first time....with honey....LOVED IT!

We had to take the dog with us at the last minute......he had lightly sprained his leg by doing something stupid in the garage the day before we were to leave and we decided not to board him.......he made the drive a lot longer......he gets out at a stop, has to smell every blade of grass and then doesn't go... He briefly escaped out of our motel room twice..(with me on his tail)....he's huge but licks everybody to death......like CO., everybody in MT. seems to have a dog, so his size didn't scare anybody....the people at the front desk learned his name right away....he's such a charmer. We learned that he could be on the UM Campus but not in rooms, so we took him for a big walk and surprised our girl when she got out of class one day......he got lots of pets from strangers....he's such a chick magnet....LOL...

Saw several deer, other wildlife, some was road kill.....dang, those roads are DARK at night! Lots of antelope in WY....

I finally got to see Butte, Billings, Bozeman, etc......didn't get to stop, but drove through the areas getting to Missoula.......such a pretty state......

It's a long-a*s drive, but not as far as our former house...... It's very expensive to fly her home, (we tried various routes), so I am planning to make the trek again right before Thanksgiving..(she only has a 5-day weekend)...I hope those danged arms aren't lowered on I-25 throughout WY...boy, keeping my fingers crossed for sure, for sure....sigh.... We will fly her home for winter break, but we can't do both......our best friend in CA. is terminally ill and we have unexpectedly spent extra money getting there a time or two.... If we weren't on call to go to CA., we probably would have rented something in MT. for Thanksgiving....

We had beautiful fall weather in CO. for the past week (record breaking temps, @ 80 degrees), and then, 2 days ago, we got a foot of snow.......a 50 degree drop in temps from one day to the next.

Hope all are doing well.....I will try to catch up and read your latest when I can.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Great to hear from you!
Glad you got to see more of our state. Careful on that drive close to Turkey Day.
Prayers to your friend and to you.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,539 times
"And as for the car registration, it cant be as bad as California... can it? 2000 Chevy S10 cost me $150 annually here in CA."
Unfortunately it is ALMOST as bad as CA. But no sales tax. I found ID was the best on property taxes and registrations. For retired people I still wish I was in ID.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM

451 posts, read 999,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
...... One day my husband and I drove out to Flathead Lake......ate at a cute bakery in Polson.......had Indian Fry Bread for the first time....with honey....LOVED IT!
We didn't even hear you honk nor see you wave!!!..????

mg

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Fry Bread, I love it. My friend, who is Navajo, makes the BEST fry bread ever! However, there is a theory that Fry Bread is really the curse of the Native American's, causing health problems, and diabetes. It is SO addictive, with honey...warm...fresh... American Indian fry bread: cultural icon or health curse? - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
There are probably genetic factors that predispose some to type-II diabetes, and per the demographics, some populations are certainly more susceptible than others. However as to the diet thing, the best layman's article on the subject is here:

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - New York Times

None of this is any mystery to any first-year biochemistry student.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Fry Bread, I love it. My friend, who is Navajo, makes the BEST fry bread ever! However, there is a theory that Fry Bread is really the curse of the Native American's, causing health problems, and diabetes. It is SO addictive, with honey...warm...fresh... American Indian fry bread: cultural icon or health curse? - Houston Chronicle
The best fry bread in the world is made by Victor Joseph's mom Arlene on the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation! Anyone get the movie reference? I love fry bread--had a fry bread ham and cheese sandwich in Kayenta, AZ in the Dineh deli. Got another one for the road next day! They also made fry bread tacos.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Spent all day in the shop yesterday. My Ambient WS-2080 is completely assembled and tested. Now, as soon as the wind goes down, I'll be mounting it on the end of 10 ft of blackpipe and mounting the pipe up against a corner post. I love it.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
For those mystified by Elk's enthusiastic bugling,
Ambient Weather WS-2080 Wireless Home Weather Station

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
For those mystified by Elk's enthusiastic bugling,
Ambient Weather WS-2080 Wireless Home Weather Station
Whoops, sorry. I was going to post the link and then got distracted and went off and did something else. Come back and hit the post button. Thanks Rez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana