Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times

Advertisements

Zucchini production, I've found after this year, is not guaranteed.... cold, wet weather can really stunt your crops, EVEN ZUCCHINI!! ;-) I grew them in lots of different spots around the garden and yard, in both pots and in the ground, different packets of seeds, and the lack of fruit flowers was surprising. The boy flowers bloom first on zucchini, and then the girl flowers with tiny potential fruit are supposed to form, and you can hand pollinate to make sure the fruit set. I looked constantly for those female flowers to make sure they were pollinated, and for some reason.... nada, no go, zilch.

It was weird.... but then, a flood in Roundup and lots of other wet weather events in the state were unusual, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Zucchini production, I've found after this year, is not guaranteed.... cold, wet weather can really stunt your crops, EVEN ZUCCHINI!! ;-)

It was weird.... but then, a flood in Roundup and lots of other wet weather events in the state were unusual, too.
The conclusion is obvious. Roundup was flooded by AWOL zucchini !!!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM

I think this summer it was just a boy's club for zucchini in my yard.... no girls allowed (the Little Rascals)!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
All this talk of zucchini was making me hungry. So I ate too much lunch. Now I just want to take a nap.

I grew up in Easter South Dakota and we had the same problem. Dad drove a pickup so it didn't do any good to lock it. We'd come out and there would be a bag or two of zuc's in the back. Dad would immediately look around for another pickup to put it in.

Being the last man out of store or business, meant you got stuck with a bunch of bags of zuc's because everybody in the parking lot put theirs in your truck.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Oh man... now I've finally got a reason to fix that busted window on my truck's topper!!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 PM

I used to give it away, make zucchini bread (and have to give some of that away) and zucchini pickles, more than I could ever use! Yup, the humble zucchini, prime for lots of vegetable humor.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Have you ever seen the images of all the beautiful carved vegetables and fruit, an artform in Asia, especially China?

The Exquisite Art of Food Carving - China culture

Fruit Carving | Learn Fruit Carving

Seems like zucchini carvings could be great additions to Jack O Lanterns at Halloween!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Default Hazelnuts growing in Bozeman

I just went out and gathered my meager harvest of hazelnuts from the three shrubs I have.

I bought bare-root plants over 20 years ago, mail order from a nursery in up-state New York. I hoped that maybe something from that climate would survive in Bozeman, even though my neighbors thought I was "nuts".

The shrubs are actually a cross between hazelnuts and filberts, called hazelberts.

They form pods that contain the nuts, usually two pods together. I've never had a big crop so far, but they make beautiful fall colored foliage and enough that the squirrels find them.

I took a few photos to show you, one with artificial light and one with natural light.

As I was shooting, a ladybug crawled out of one of the pods. They are all over the bushes right now, hiding inside the nut pods, as they do every fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit on the Porch II-hazelnut1.jpg   Let's visit on the Porch II-hazelnut2.jpg  

Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Here is a little watercolor/pen and ink painting I did this weekend of a pinecone.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit on the Porch II-artcardpinecone.png  

Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Are those nuts edible by humans? If so, what do they taste like, any good?

How long after you planted before you had a crop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana