Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 AM

427 posts, read 389,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Good for downtown but another seafood joint ?!?!? .

Side bar : Al.com ran article on seafood restaurants in the state and only 1 was mentioned in Mobile. Majority were in North Alabama lol.Not saying that there aren't any good ones up that way its just crazy that they only mentioned one for Mobile smh.Al.com's journalism became horrible when they took away the local writers.

Anyway.Any word on Truman's Oyster Bar downtown.
Mobile really doesnt have any straight seafood joints downtown other than Wintzells and it't pretty terrible. There's a Truman's Diner that opened up already and its mediocre at best. There is an oyster bar going into the former Bucks Pizza location, but I haven't heard anything new.

If anything we have way too few seafood restaurants here for being this close to amazing seafood. The few we have specialize in fried seafood and poorly cooked fish. Luckily Chef Jim Smith from Bravo's Top Chef, Executive Chef for the State of Alabama, and the head of the Alabama Seafood Marketing Commission, is opening a restaurant in the former Kitchen on George location. Should be incredible.

This looks to be a food hall of some sort, so a mixture of different restaunts and maybe rotating places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM

5,024 posts, read 9,275,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
Mobile really doesnt have any straight seafood joints downtown other than Wintzells and it't pretty terrible. There's a Truman's Diner that opened up already and its mediocre at best. There is an oyster bar going into the former Bucks Pizza location, but I haven't heard anything new.

If anything we have way too few seafood restaurants here for being this close to amazing seafood. The few we have specialize in fried seafood and poorly cooked fish. Luckily Chef Jim Smith from Bravo's Top Chef, Executive Chef for the State of Alabama, and the head of the Alabama Seafood Marketing Commission, is opening a restaurant in the former Kitchen on George location. Should be incredible.

This looks to be a food hall of some sort, so a mixture of different restaunts and maybe rotating places.
Not for just downtown but in general there are a lot of seafood restaurants in the area.And they mentioned Wintzells in the Al.com article out of all places lol.Not R&R ,Blue Gill,Kravers,Sea Food House,Mud Bugs, K&D ,Cody Sea food,Ed's Sea Food,Ranch Sea food and etc.

Last edited by PortCity; 10-16-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
It sounds like a food hall and it’s in the open lot next to Downtown Mobile Alliance on Dauphin.
Hmmm food hall ?

Old 10-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Not for just downtown but in general there are a lot of seafood restaurants in the area.And they mentioned Wintzells in the Al.com article out of all places lol.Not R&R ,Blue Gill,Kravers,Sea Food House,Mud Bugs, K&D ,Cody Sea food,Ed's Sea Food,Ranch Sea food and etc.
And most of those specialize in fried/basket style seafood plates. None of those do a great job cooking fresh fish in slightly upscale version.

I really like the idea of a food hall. If done well, like Ponce City Market in ATL (not to that scale obv), it could be a huge get for Mobile.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
It sounds like a food hall and it’s in the open lot next to Downtown Mobile Alliance on Dauphin.
Quote:
And most of those specialize in fried/basket style seafood plates. None of those do a great job cooking fresh fish in slightly upscale version.

I really like the idea of a food hall. If done well, like Ponce City Market in ATL (not to that scale obv), it could be a huge get for Mobile.
Not they are not upscale but they are far more worth mentioning than Wintzell's and just about everything that was on that list north of Mobile/Baldwin easily.You will be suprised that they have options outside of fried seafood baskets.

I love the Ponce City Market ! I always thought that the Gayfers and Old Press buildings would be a great fit for Mobile's version of that.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Not they are not upscale but they are far more worth mentioning than Wintzell's and just about everything that was on that list north of Mobile/Baldwin easily.You will be suprised that they have options outside of fried seafood baskets.

I love the Ponce City Market ! I always thought that the Gayfers and Old Press buildings would be a great fit for Mobile's version of that.
I have eaten at every single one of those locations and I'm not saying its bad food, but its not that great either, and it's real casual. Something along the lines of The Optimist in ATL would kill down here. We have nothing like it and its a shame due to how close we are to amazing seafood.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:29 PM

311 posts, read 395,536 times
I also love Ponce City Market and my favorite item there is the Holeman & Finch burger. It's a long haul to Atlanta, so when I get a craving for it I plan a trip to New Orleans. Adam Biderman worked at the original H&F in Atlanta before opening The Company Burger in N.O. and his version tastes almost identical.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
I also love Ponce City Market and my favorite item there is the Holeman & Finch burger. It's a long haul to Atlanta, so when I get a craving for it I plan a trip to New Orleans. Adam Biderman worked at the original H&F in Atlanta before opening The Company Burger in N.O. and his version tastes almost identical.
H&F burgers are really good. Was happy to see them at The Battery at the Braves Stadium.

Ill have to check out Company Burger next time I'm in NO

Old 10-22-2019, 07:13 PM

139 posts, read 216,926 times
Quote:

I agree about the upscale seafood restaurant, it is needed. I am a little nervous about a food hall in Mobile. I've mentioned this before that Mobile needs to be strategic in growth in every area. I just dont want it to shutter in a year or two.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:16 PM

139 posts, read 216,926 times
Quote:

Love this idea! The Gayfers building serve as something similar to the Woolworth in Bham. I was hoping that the new design for the civic center could have a top deck entertainment venue like the Skyline in ATL....Mcgowin would be a good spot as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area