Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,661,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
Greeting Minnesotans, how is everyone today? I've been reading this thread from beginning to end over the past few days and it has been very interesting reading as the temperatures change and patterns from season to season as well as year to year. I've wanted to move to Minnesota for fifteen years but now I'm not so sure how I'd handle the extreme weather and/or being far from my family. I still love Minnesota though and it is my favourite place to visit, even though I've only been there once. Twice if you count passing through on way to SD but I don't really count that. I think that Minnesota is a beautiful place with wonderful people! I love the snow and cold weather to a point but I know that I have my limits and I've also noticed that Minnesota gets extreme severely hot Summers as well, including hot Summer weather in March and October sometimes. Are there occasional hot days in February and November too? I thought I remembered reading that a while ago in this thread. I hope that everyone in Minnesota is doing well!
Hi. Where are you from? We do definitely get four distinct seasons here in Minnesota. Sometimes the seasons mix and cant decide so we get summer weather in fall or winter and winter in spring or fall
Spring (late march thru early May) and fall (late Sept thru Nov) are the best times if you don't like the extremes.
Regarding your last question, I don't remember it ever getting "hot days" in November or Feb but there are usually a few days worthy of wearing shorts and sandels in November - but we can also get blizzards in November. November and March-early April are really unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
Anyone following Nemo on the east coast. Kinda makes our blizzard seem tame. I saw people there using SHOVELS to move three feet of snow. What??? I was driving down Cedar a couple of days ago and saw a guy moving snow off his front walk with a garden tractor equipped with a blade. My sister in Minnetonka has used similar gear for her driveway for years. We may not have as much snow, but I guess we're all willing to buy better gear.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Hi. Where are you from? We do definitely get four distinct seasons here in Minnesota. Sometimes the seasons mix and cant decide so we get summer weather in fall or winter and winter in spring or fall
Spring (late march thru early May) and fall (late Sept thru Nov) are the best times if you don't like the extremes.
Regarding your last question, I don't remember it ever getting "hot days" in November or Feb but there are usually a few days worthy of wearing shorts and sandels in November - but we can also get blizzards in November. November and March-early April are really unpredictable.
I'm from Ohio. I live in the Southwestern part of the state close to the Dayton area. I love Ohio too but Minnesota seems to me like a better, more scenic version of Ohio. Like an enhanced Ohio if that makes any sense. I think that they're both beautiful places and both have their pros and cons. I love the snow and I tend to favour the colder/cooler weather over the hot weather but I still enjoy warm weather and even hot weather if I'm going swimming. Otherwise I prefer temps to be 70s or below in the warmer months and then I like cold enough for good snows that last long enough to enjoy. I've decided that even if I stay in Ohio I definitely want to visit Minnesota every chance that I can.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I don't know where my manners are, I forgot to thank you! Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated! Especially considering that strayed off topic a bit!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 AM

I meant to write that I strayed off topic lol! How is the weather in Minnesota today? I've noticed that it seems to be quite changeable which would definitely keep me from being bored! I wonder how my Golden Retriever would like Minnesota. She does seem to love the snow as I do and I bet that she would love those lakes because she also loves to swim! I'm afraid of snakes and other scary animals that may be lurking in the waters though (event though I think that it's true that they try to avoid us for the most part just as much as we try to avoid them!). I wonder if snakes and other potentially dangerous animals are more likely to be in the warmer Minnesota lakes and rivers or if they would also be in the cooler/colder lakes and rivers? On the topic of (Winter) weather I think that snow on the ground and snow as well as ice on the trees and houses is absolutely beautiful!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,661,462 times
No problem. The weather today and yesterday was quite nice- close to 40, mostly sunny and the snow was melting pretty good- but it has since clouded over and is raining/snowing lightly.
I have a Lab for a dog and he seems to love the snow and swimming in the lake near my house (granted its a shallow, warm prairie lake).
Snakes- I don't really see them much in the water, but definitely near the water. This year there seemed to be a lot of garter snakes out and about- especially this fall.
I don't mind snow, but towards the end of winter, this time of year I begin to dread it and never want to see it again. Here in Minnesota, usually once we get a big snow in December, it says on the ground until the spring melt and just keeps piling up- well actually melts a little, turns into an icy ugly pile and gets new snow on top of it. This was not the case last winter, but most winters anyway. When I lived in Missouri and I'm sure in Ohio once you get snow, it melts in a few days or so until the next system moves through. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, be careful what you wish for because if you have to go through a few Minn. winters, you might not be too fond of snow anymore

Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
Well, appreciating winter and appreciating when it comes to an end are really two parts of the same thing. If seasons are your thing, you just don't want one. We tend to get a LOT of winter, and when it ends, we really dig the next thing coming along. No contradiction to me.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,535,732 times
Coldest walk to work I've had yet this year. That wind is something else. It can be -30 but it it's not blowing it's no problem. -6 out there right now, sunny and bright - but that wind is a steady 20mph. Cuts right through.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Coldest walk to work I've had yet this year. That wind is something else. It can be -30 but it it's not blowing it's no problem. -6 out there right now, sunny and bright - but that wind is a steady 20mph. Cuts right through.
I ran some errands and wished I would have put on my Columbia jacket with a hood--that wind is just brutal.

More snow on the way Thursday and then again Monday possibly.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Major snow storm on tap for later today and overnight. Looks like early predictions of 7-12" in the metro along with strong winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota