Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 PM

42 posts, read 115,520 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm fairly new to Minnesota. I'm a teacher, but completely broke...broker than most teachers; I'm a single mom of two little girls.

Anyhow, I REALLY want to buy a home. I'm tired of apartment living. I want to provide my girls with a cute home but it must be affordable. Are there any nice neighborhoods in Minneapolis that you can recommend? I'm still having trouble telling the difference between bad areas and good ones. I'm from Los Angeles, and well...since I grew up there, I just new where the dangerous areas were.

I want to live, basically, in Utopia. I hope to find diversity amongst whites and other ethnic groups. I live in Eden Prairie right now and it seems like you're either white or from Somalia. It's so segregated cuz it's not like either group is trying to hang out with one another. I want to live around the laid back, easy going, hippie Minnesotans. Help!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:04 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincefan View Post
Hi. I'm fairly new to Minnesota. I'm a teacher, but completely broke...broker than most teachers; I'm a single mom of two little girls.

Anyhow, I REALLY want to buy a home. I'm tired of apartment living. I want to provide my girls with a cute home but it must be affordable. Are there any nice neighborhoods in Minneapolis that you can recommend? I'm still having trouble telling the difference between bad areas and good ones. I'm from Los Angeles, and well...since I grew up there, I just new where the dangerous areas were.

I want to live, basically, in Utopia. I hope to find diversity amongst whites and other ethnic groups. I live in Eden Prairie right now and it seems like you're either white or from Somalia. It's so segregated cuz it's not like either group is trying to hang out with one another. I want to live around the laid back, easy going, hippie Minnesotans. Help!

Thanks.
Check out the Victory Memorial neighborhood in North Minneapolis.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,873 times
I love the area of Mpls between Hiawatha and the River Parkway. Affordable and "cute". Also, NE Minneapolis can be very nice and is definitely diverse.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:16 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
I have no doubt you could find a decent single family home for a good price in Minneapolis, but it will depend somewhat on your budget. What are you looking to spend? Any other preferences in regards to the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, square feet, garage size, etc.?

Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Well you probably won't find a perfect utopia, though you should be able to find something really nice. Do you know of any Minneapolis neighborhoods off your head that you're interested in? People here can provide feedback on that and also what you want in a neighborhood and what size of house and what amenites and such you desire. As far as being broke, well you'll make it work. I had a 24(not sure if it was 24 but she was in her early 20s) year old teacher my freshmen year of high school in Annandale, and she said she lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in Waite Park, MN and didn't have all that much money, and she wasn't miserable or anything, she was actually one of my favorite teachers that year.
Up where im at(st. cloud), its basically all white and Somalian as well, though I have seen quite a bit of other minorities too which is great, but the vast number of non white people are Somalian from my experience.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 AM

324 posts, read 572,652 times
Are you sure you want to live in Minneapolis? I suppose you are picking apartments that are closer to your workplace so you don't have to pay the extra cost of commuting. Otherwise, I'd suggest something on the outside of the Minneapolis area such as a suburb or smaller town.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Are you sure you want to live in Minneapolis? I suppose you are picking apartments that are closer to your workplace so you don't have to pay the extra cost of commuting. Otherwise, I'd suggest something on the outside of the Minneapolis area such as a suburb or smaller town.
Why?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM

42 posts, read 115,520 times
Hi. I've only been in MN for a couple of years, so I don't know it so well. I'm hoping to buy a home in the next few years. I am tired of renting apartments. I have two little girls, I'd like to live in a nice little family neighborhood. Maybe Bloomington?? I'm not sure. I work in South Minneapolis, but so often see broken glass on the streets from car breakins, a drug bust here and there, graffitti, etc. I'm tired of that too because I'm from Los Angeles and I've been there, done that. I'd like a 3bdrm, 2 bath around 1800 sq.ft. with a garage hopefully attached, but if it's not, oh well. I like Edina, but we all know that's too pricey. I do like West Bloomington-seems to be close to everything.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
What do you consider affordable? How about Richfield? I think the median house price is something like $163k (and there are 3BR/2BAs listed for well under that currently), and it would be an easy commute to south Minneapolis. There are a lot of nice family pockets, and Or, for that matter, other parts of south Minneapolis (one of the many family-friendly safe parts; some are pretty affordable, although the attached garage will be more difficult, although not impossible, to find). All depends on budget, though.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I love the area of Mpls between Hiawatha and the River Parkway.
I agree that is a good area to consider. It's called the Longfellow community, BTW, and I think as long as you're a few blocks south of Lake St, it is one of the safer areas of south Minneapolis. It's definitely one of my favorite city neighborhoods, and I'd love to live there.

Definitely look at Richfield and Bloomington as well, because you'll likely get a bit bigger house and yard for the money. If you end up in a fixer-upper, it's generally easier/cheaper to update or repair a 50's/60's house (like you're likely find in your price range in Bloomington/Richfield) than a teens/20's/30's/40's house (like you'll probably find in Minneapolis). It's not that an average 50's or 60's house is built better; in fact, they're generally not. It's just that the basic building codes and techniques were pretty standardized by then, and Blueboard/plaster or Sheetrock had also replaced wooden lath. That makes them easier for the average contractor or handy homeowner to work with.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul