Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 26,937 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I am moving to Milwaukee next week to attend graduate school. I've read most of the threads here that looked relevant, but haven't found answers to these questions - I'm hoping you can all help me:

1) On average (just ballpark guess), how much is spent per month on heat for a 2 bedroom apartment with temp ~ 65? (I know that's hard to answer, but I have no idea what to expect as I've never paid separately with heat. I'm looking for a place with heat included, but just in case...)

2) Are dogs usually allowed in Milwaukee parks (and what about off leash)? I'll be living (hopefully) within walking distance of UWM and have a medium sized dog. I'd like to be able to walk her to the park daily to train and play frisbee, but will I have to go to special dog parks? What are the rules about this?
- Also - are dogs allowed on the beaches of Lake Michigan?

3) Does anyone know how soon after moving one must obtain a new driver's license and car registration? Or are graduate students allowed to keep their cars registered with their home states? Does anyone know?

4) Is the neighborhood just west of Oakland Ave. really bad (i.e. dangerous) for a single female to live? I've heard mixed reports about this area. I've heard that the farther west one goes, the worse things are, but what about the 3-4 blocks just west of Oakland? I'm moving from a rural area in northern utah and have little experience living in the big city; my primary concern is safety. I won't be going out at night alone, but I would prefer to live somewhere with less likelihood of car/apartment theft/burglary/muggings/etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:05 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhazelm View Post
Hi everyone.

I am moving to Milwaukee next week to attend graduate school. I've read most of the threads here that looked relevant, but haven't found answers to these questions - I'm hoping you can all help me:

1) On average (just ballpark guess), how much is spent per month on heat for a 2 bedroom apartment with temp ~ 65? (I know that's hard to answer, but I have no idea what to expect as I've never paid separately with heat. I'm looking for a place with heat included, but just in case...)

2) Are dogs usually allowed in Milwaukee parks (and what about off leash)? I'll be living (hopefully) within walking distance of UWM and have a medium sized dog. I'd like to be able to walk her to the park daily to train and play frisbee, but will I have to go to special dog parks? What are the rules about this?
- Also - are dogs allowed on the beaches of Lake Michigan?

3) Does anyone know how soon after moving one must obtain a new driver's license and car registration? Or are graduate students allowed to keep their cars registered with their home states? Does anyone know?

4) Is the neighborhood just west of Oakland Ave. really bad (i.e. dangerous) for a single female to live? I've heard mixed reports about this area. I've heard that the farther west one goes, the worse things are, but what about the 3-4 blocks just west of Oakland? I'm moving from a rural area in northern utah and have little experience living in the big city; my primary concern is safety. I won't be going out at night alone, but I would prefer to live somewhere with less likelihood of car/apartment theft/burglary/muggings/etc.

Thanks!
You're going to be spending probably around $130-$200. on heat, maybe more depending on how well insulated your place is. No joke, the heat bill is going to be high, I HIGHLY suggest you find a place that includes heat. Dogs are allowed on leash in parks, just make sure you of course clean up after them. Off-leash, well there are some places that allow that & some that don't care. I see dogs all the time at the beach, with or without leashes. I don't know the specific laws but cops really have more important things to worry about than if a dog is off it's leash or not. I wouldn't worry about that too much. Regarding drivers license, I have a friend who lived here for probably 6-7 years before she finally got rid of her Illinois license & got her Wisconsin license. Technically, I don't know what the rules are. The area west of Oakland will be considered Riverwest. It's not bad, there are some good pockets, you just have to know where to look. If I were you, I wouldn't go farther west than say Holton. But when you find some places, post them on here & we can give you our opinion.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $850-$925 for a two bedroom apt in the area you mentioned.

The area west of Oakland only goes 3 blocks, after that there is a bike trail and the Milwaukee river. Farther west of the river the neighborhood changes, but it is a distance away. The neighborhood between Oakland and the river is fine. This is not a dangerous neighborhood. Use common sense, such locking your door at night and do not leave valuables in clear sight in your car or on your porch at night. Otherwise it's fine. The neighborhood is a mix of students and families. There are no hood/thug/gang types in this neighborhood.

Apartment buildings often include heat, but homes/duplex the tenants pay for heat.

I would walk my dog on the bike trail, which runs next to this neighborhood. It's a popular trail and very busy with bikers, runners, walkers and dog walkers.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 06-29-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 03:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
The area west of Oakland will be considered Riverwest. It's not bad, there are some good pockets, you just have to know where to look. If I were you, I wouldn't go farther west than say Holton. But when you find some places, post them on here & we can give you our opinion.
The area between Oakland Ave and the Milwaukee river is not Riverwest.
Riverwest begins west of the river to Holton St. on the west, North Ave to the south and Keefe Ave to the north. The neighborhood in question would be considered the UWM/Upper East side neighborhood. If your from rural Utah and you have questions concerning living in a large city, stick to the neighborhood you mentioned. Oakland Ave on the east, Locust on the south, Edgewood on the north and Cambridge on the west. This is a clean, safe, comfortable neighborhood with a nice mix of students and families.
No trouble makers, except some students who may party too much, but they are not going to mug you.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 06-29-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 AM

158 posts, read 486,130 times
As a single female with dog myself,
I would get an upper flat. They're safer and if there is a porch your dog can sit outside without running away and you can have privacy from passersby.
The beaches - dogs are not allowed off leash or on the actual sand. But, early in the morning, no-one cares because no-one is there - that's the time to go. When there are people/children there it isn't fair to have your dog running around and they will ticket if a cop happens by.
The trail right at the end of Locust on the lake is a wonderful wooded retreat as well.
I do carry pepper spray, but have never once had anything remotely resembling a problem in daylight hours. After dark, I wouldn't walk alone, though the dog most def helps!
If you are at school, the BOSS program runs free pickups to take you home at night if you do end up by yourself and you live close (is it one mile? Two? Not sure) to campus.
Well built apartments might only be $60 per month for heat, but old leaky victorians, which are beautiful! can be well over a hundred in winter.
Good luck! Milwaukee's a great town!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
The area between Oakland Ave and the Milwaukee river is not Riverwest.
Riverwest begins west of the river to Holton St. on the west, North Ave to the south and Keefe Ave to the north. The neighborhood in question would be considered the UWM/Upper East side neighborhood. If your from rural Utah and you have questions concerning living in a large city, stick to the neighborhood you mentioned. Oakland Ave on the east, Locust on the south, Edgewood on the north and Cambridge on the west. This is a clean, safe, comfortable neighborhood with a nice mix of students and families.
No trouble makers, except some students who may party too much, but they are not going to mug you.
Right, Riverwest starts at Humboldt. I would say Humboldt is just a couple blocks west of Oakland, wouldn't you say? That is included in the area she is asking about, which is why I gave her a heads up about that area.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
I think a lot of you need to pick up one of these:

Or visit this website: http://www.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Public/map4.pdf

Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 AM

104 posts, read 416,474 times
For the record- Riverwest is bordered by the Milwaukee River on the east
(not Humboldt, there is at least one block and a couple cul-de-sacs before Humboldt) and north, Holton Street on the west, and Capitol Drive on the south.

Milwaukee City- Where did you find that map? I love it! Can I buy one somewhere?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshea View Post
Milwaukee City- Where did you find that map? I love it! Can I buy one somewhere?

I bought one for myself on amazon.com!! I love it and it's fairly big on your wall. I put it up and every time people come over they stop and look at it and ask the same question. I paid $25.00 for it and it's worth it. The person who drew this one also did a Chicago one first and then got a lot of request for a Milwaukee one so they did a Milwaukee neighborhood map as well.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM

104 posts, read 416,474 times
Just put my order in- THANKS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee