Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 12:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,310,106 times

Advertisements

This thread isn't to start a political discussion but has a direct bearing on my moving to Milwaukee and the area where I will decide to move to. I read an article(link below) that predicts some bad happenings in cities. Of course there are always the alarmists who like to scare the hell out of people. But the author of that article is nationally known and respected for his predictions. Anyway, if the guy is right there are probably still going to be areas where people come together and make life livable inspite of the circumstances. Any opinions on this subject?

Revolution, Food Riots, Tax Rebellions By 2012?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 AM

448 posts, read 1,823,864 times
It's alarmist - 100%. Could it happen? Possibly but not at the levels Celente talks about. The guy probably got lucky with one prediction after popping out a million wrong ones. He sounds completely full of ****, as they say in France.

The last time Milwaukee saw civil unrest was 1967 which was one of the worst in it's entire history. That took time to brew but was linked to a minority which was marginalized for an even longer time. It was guaranteed to happen at least a dozen years before then. Things like that don't just appear out of nowhere. Food riots? Tax rebellions? Taxes aren't going to increase in a democracy to the point of rebellion. That is just plain insane. Government services will disappear and massive layoffs will happen well before unrest rears it's ugly head.

Food riots, likewise will never happen unless there is paralyzing droughts across the nation. Even with droughts, the Great Lakes area will still be able to grow crops to sustain it's population. The safest place to be in the nation with that prospect is in America's Dairyland. We will probably never see unrest like we did in 1967 in our lifetime. But even if we did, 1967 really did not have a huge impact on the citizens of Milwaukee. There was curfew for a few days, the suburbs saw nothing and a week later life was back to normal.

Seriously, get your news from a better source or just start stockpiling guns with some other mountain crazy cultists in Idaho.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,310,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
It's alarmist - 100%. Could it happen? Possibly but not at the levels Celente talks about. The guy probably got lucky with one prediction after popping out a million wrong ones. He sounds completely full of ****, as they say in France.

The last time Milwaukee saw civil unrest was 1967 which was one of the worst in it's entire history. That took time to brew but was linked to a minority which was marginalized for an even longer time. It was guaranteed to happen at least a dozen years before then. Things like that don't just appear out of nowhere. Food riots? Tax rebellions? Taxes aren't going to increase in a democracy to the point of rebellion. That is just plain insane. Government services will disappear and massive layoffs will happen well before unrest rears it's ugly head.

Food riots, likewise will never happen unless there is paralyzing droughts across the nation. Even with droughts, the Great Lakes area will still be able to grow crops to sustain it's population. The safest place to be in the nation with that prospect is in America's Dairyland. We will probably never see unrest like we did in 1967 in our lifetime. But even if we did, 1967 really did not have a huge impact on the citizens of Milwaukee. There was curfew for a few days, the suburbs saw nothing and a week later life was back to normal.

Seriously, get your news from a better source or just start stockpiling guns with some other mountain crazy cultists in Idaho.
You sound informed and well grounded in reality. I hope that you are right. For now I am not going to worry about what that guy says or what any alarmists says on the internet. Yet looking at history one can see that extreme situations do arise occasionaly.

I remember a couple of years ago people on the internet were saying that iran was going to start their own oil bourse and when that happened the dollar would drop and we would go into a depression. The only alternative was to invade Iran and stop them from creating an oil bourse. None of that came to pass. Just an example of what information alarmists transmit.

But at the same time keep your eyes open and don't become compacent.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,726,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
This thread isn't to start a political discussion but has a direct bearing on my moving to Milwaukee and the area where I will decide to move to. I read an article(link below) that predicts some bad happenings in cities. Of course there are always the alarmists who like to scare the hell out of people. But the author of that article is nationally known and respected for his predictions. Anyway, if the guy is right there are probably still going to be areas where people come together and make life livable inspite of the circumstances. Any opinions on this subject?

Revolution, Food Riots, Tax Rebellions By 2012?
I'd say alarmist. This goes along with $200/barrel oil by Christmas (I actually read $600 somewhere), Phoenix running out of water by 2008, and a host of other bizarre predictions that I've read over the years. In the 80s, it was nuclear war flattening the developed world. In the 90s, global warming was going to cause polar ice caps to melt within a few years, potentially shaving thousands of square miles off of coastal areas. Let's not forget about huge earthquakes leveling most of California. Wasn't that supposed to happen years ago?

People who predict things usually throw a lot of darts before they nail a bullseye. Some people are better at darts than others. The ones who are more accurate are rarely getting attention, because the accurate ones are usually more realistic, and people are glued to drama. Therefore, that's what the news gives us. Drama. Everybody loves to hear about the guy who preaches ruin, because not "when", but "IF" it happens, he's the guy who will point the finger and say I told you so... and you idiots didn't listen to me.

The idealistic "coming together" isn't going to happen. There is not enough agreement on what amounts to a subjective matter. "Coming together" and "social unrest" are polar opposites. I think somewhere in the middle is where the future lies.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,867,616 times
Thanks for posting a link to a white supremacist web site, by the way . Not exactly what I wanted cahced in my computer's memory. Anyone who believes that stuff should just be taken away by men in white coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: