Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 PM

16 posts, read 28,017 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I currently live in Denver, Colorado and he has been told that as soon as all things are ready to go, we will be transferred to Milwaukee. We are coming to Milwaukee next weekend to look around and would like to get some ideas of where to look.

We are both in our 40s and have no children living at home. He will be working at the airport, I am self-employed and work from home, which I am happy about since the winters are colder, icier than Denver's (from what I understand). We want to rent and need a place with a garage and a backyard for our two dogs. We are looking for a three bedroom (or two bedroom with area for an office), at least 1400 sq ft. with a budget of $1400/month. From what I see online, the homes are older, unlike Denver where the metro area is mostly newer, track homes. Where can we find homes that meet our needs and are all the homes older or are there areas that are newer? We like older homes, just curious about what we have seen so far. If we decide to stay, we will buy a home but don't want a fixer-upper. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again.

We love craft beers, good restaurants and I am really looking forward to the festivals and living near water. At our age we are not looking for the bar scene. Although I am a Colorado native, I am not looking forward to the intense winters, but you take the good with the bad, nowhere is perfect. I am curious to hear about the summer weather, seasons and your take on the winters, especially compared to Denver if anyone has had the experience with the two.

We hear that the traffic is much better than Denver's, so another plus. We are also excited about being 1.5 hours from Chicago. We are thinking the southern or southwest area of Milwaukee or suburbs. Are there any places to pay special attention to that might meet our needs and lifestyles?

Thank you in advance for your help and information,

Shannon from Denver

Oh... We also like to camp, take our dogs walking and I would love to get a jet ski or learn sea kayaking... Are there places near Milwaukee to do these activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,459 times
Hello -- We lived in Milwaukee for about 8 years, and really enjoyed it. The area we lived, Wauwatosa, is a central area, and was great for us, but would be quite a ways from the airport. We had some friends who lived in Greenfield, which is further south, and might be a pleasant community, not too bad a commute from the airport. There is also a greenbelt village, called Greendale, which might work for you. I worked with a couple of women from the suburb of St Francis, which is older, and near the lake on the south side of Milwaukee. They loved St Francis and were lifelong residents. St. Francis, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here is the Greenfield link: City of Greenfield, Wisconsin* , Discover Greendale, Wisconsin!
Milwaukee is a nice city and there are many festivals in the area, which you will enjoy.
Good luck with your move!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
It is worth noting that since Milwaukee is near Lake Michigan, the winters are milder and the summers are cooler. However, it is still cold in the winter.

Last edited by Drewjdeg; 09-09-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Winters are cold, but not northern Minnesota cold. They'll be more overcast than you're used to with frequent snow that generally doesn't melt much until spring.
I'll second Greendale. The older part is one of the neatest little neighborhoods I've ever seen anywhere. It's extremely quaint without being too weird about it.
St. Francis would be my second choice on the south side. They have some really nice newer condos overlooking the lake.
Speaking of the newer housing, you do have to go to the outer tract-home suburbs to find most of it, but there are some infill developments with new housing in older areas of the city. Examples of that would be a small area in St. Francis, as well as a neighborhood just south of Alverno College.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM

319 posts, read 664,858 times
What area is the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee