Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,148 times

Advertisements

So, like most of the posts on here, I'm moving to Milwaukee for a job. I'm from a small town in Central Wisconsin so this is a big change for me! This forum has been a god-send to me so far because I think for the most part I've been able to figure out where I want to live. Oh, by the way I'm 23 and just starting my professional career. Anyway, all of the apartments that I like the most are in the Lower East Side part of Milwaukee (South of Locust, East of Dr. Martin Luther King, and North of Wisconsin (safe right?)). Also, most of the apartments include heat, hot water, water/sewer which is nice!

I was just wondering about the other expenses and if anyone could help me out?! I'm trying to dig myself out of the debt hole along with a relocation so any input would be very helpful with me choosing a final place. What would you other renters say that your average electricity bill is? Also internet/cable bill? If parking isn't available through your building, how much would you say you spend a month on parking? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Milwaukee night parking is very cheap $45/yr or $12/quarter. Otherwise look to spend at least 50/month for lot parking a month or if your lucky your building has underground parking. Underground parking isn't a must I say Location is. Internet $25 highspeed, cable for basic is $60/month. Electric bill 25-35 is normal. Get heat included for sure!!!!! Brady.st area is nice but also check out The Third Ward, Walker's Point, Bay View, Upper east side by UWM. You can find a nice one bedroom for 650+ if you look close enough, this will be in a house/duplex not a building though. Otherwise just plan on 800+ for anything really nice. Check out Prospect Heights building on Prospect.ave , great local and the London Building as well.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM

http://www.forrent.com/

Old 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Thank you so much! That information will really help me with my budget plan. BTW I figure I can only spend about $800/mo. total on rent, electric, internet/cable, and parking. So...that's where I stand! Hopefully I can get into one of the buidings I like....my prospects aren't looking so good right now though! Anyway, thanks again.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM

check craigslist and the Milwaukee journal sentinel newspaper for rentals also. You should be able to find all included apt for under 800 but it will be small. There was a great building I tried to get into for 650/month and great location and it was a decent size. If your in the Milwaukee Area anytime soon it's on the corner of Farwell.Ave and Lafayette.ave on the north west corner. It also included heat and central air with a very large living room. By far the best buy in that area.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 PM

The other thing you should know is I'm completely okay with small! I'm not that big and I don't need a lot of space! And also something I've noticed is that for how many apartment buildings seem to be in that area it's sure hard to find any information on a lot of them! I've already looked at JSOnline at the classifieds and nothing really looked...good and safe at the same time. I'm going to be in the Milwaukee area tomorrow actually and I figured I'd drive around a bit and take a look!

Hopefully some of the places that I've called and e-mailed will get back to me soon. I wish I could start actually looking at places tomorrow!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM

I would also check out Milwaukee's East Village area. Humboldt on west, Brady st on south, Kane on north, Cambridge.ave.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM

78 posts, read 229,309 times
I would definitely look in the Bay View area. It is far more convenient than the East Side, less crime, better parking options, fewer noisy undergrads. Plenty of good bars & restaurants...very convienient, quick drive into downtown.
East of 1st St/Chase, south of Becher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: