Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

I wasn't talking to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I wasn't talking to you.
I know, but anytime I bring up Miami or San Diego the Milwaukee -v- Phoenix thread takes over which ever thread it is.

What is it about Phoenix -v- Milwaukee, is this Milwaukee's biggest rival ? It's almost on the same field as Milwaukee -v- Chicago and has been beaten to death just as much as that topic(even though Milw can't compete with Chi).

Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There are plenty of places you can move where you don't have to bundle up all the time that aren't hotter than 38 suns either. It's the jumping from one extreme to another that I don't get -- just as I wouldn't understand someone who moves from Phoenix to Duluth just to get away from the heat.
I merely answered the question as to why anyone would want to do that.

The amount of good weather months by most casual objective observers in Phoenix is about 8 months out of the year. I'd agree with that assertion. I'd also agree with the popular notion that one can increase temps many degrees for tolerance when it is a dry, non-humid heat.

Combine that with over 300 days of sunshine per year, and there you go. I believe in seeing past posts of yours, that you either do not understand, or completely underestimate many people's desire or even need for sunshine more often than what occurs in places like Chicago. I also believe you underestimate some people's desires for not wanting to bundle up, nor even wear sweatshirts, or light jackets.

There are people out there who don't like extreme heat, even if dry or drier than other places. And there are people who like it cool, or even like it cold. However, considering migration patterns, and other, there is a large sizeable group out there that prefers over 300 days of sunshine combined with dry heat, and no winter.

I personally don't enjoy weather lower than 60 but less than 85 degrees, with lots of sunshine. I'd like to make it magically rain often enough, just to keep things green, but no more than that, and have that happen mostly at night, and I'd like no humidity. I'd like to combine that with every other aspect of a city/metro area I want etc..and so on....I like long sunny, warm with a breeze summer days. However, I realize that isn't for everyone.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I know, but anytime I bring up Miami or San Diego the Milwaukee -v- Phoenix thread takes over which ever thread it is.

What is it about Phoenix -v- Milwaukee, is this Milwaukee's biggest rival ? It's almost on the same field as Milwaukee -v- Chicago and has been beaten to death just as much as that topic(even though Milw can't compete with Chi).
Why does Milwaukee need a "rival?" Now that is something I've never understood on these forums, the mentality of this vs this etc...Every place has pros and cons. Why can't Milwaukee just be itself and not compete with anything nor have a rivalry with anything?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Why does Milwaukee need a "rival?" Now that is something I've never understood on these forums, the mentality of this vs this etc...Every place has pros and cons. Why can't Milwaukee just be itself and not compete with anything nor have a rivalry with anything?

I think it's just human to be competitive, it's like keeping up with the Jones in a way. We are always comparing ourselves to others and trying to out do the others. I'm very competitive but I don't care either way, but I can tell you this I would pull my hair out if I had to live in the twin cities.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I think it's just human to be competitive, it's like keeping up with the Jones in a way. We are always comparing ourselves to others and trying to out do the others. I'm very competitive but I don't care either way, but I can tell you this I would pull my hair out if I had to live in the twin cities.
I'm competitive in a healthy way when it comes to athletics, for example, because in athletics, there is often times a declared winner and loser within the rules of a game or sport. We are talking about cities here, where there is no winner and loser, it's opinion. I don't have any interest in this city vs that city in terms of this one is better than that one. Every city has pros and cons.

The twin cities is a fine place.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,330 times
Quote:
I never said Phoenix, I was talking about San Diego or Miami which has never had a day over 100 degrees.
I don't know about Miama, but San Diego certainly has days that get over 100 degrees, especially in the East County. El Cajon can see 100+ degree days in August, and so can Escondido.

I worked at the Wild Animal Park when I was going through college and I remember days in the summer when it would get over 100 degrees.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,140,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I don't know about Miama, but San Diego certainly has days that get over 100 degrees, especially in the East County. El Cajon can see 100+ degree days in August, and so can Escondido.

I worked at the Wild Animal Park when I was going through college and I remember days in the summer when it would get over 100 degrees.
But it is dry heat. lol.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
I think people in Milwaukee feel competitive because as far as I've noticed, people around the U.S. generally don't have a positive view of Milwaukee. It's like we're constantly trying to tell people the pro's of Milwaukee, it gets exhausting!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

I've just about survived my second winter in Wisconsin, and I'm not dead yet. I think I'm getting a bit tougher though. When I first moved here, I thought 45 degrees was just plain frigid. But now I'm like, "Woo hoo! It's 45 degrees today; it's downright balmy!"
And now how do you feel that it's been getting into the 50's? Pretty nice, hey? That's the nice thing about living in Wisconsin, the change in seasons. Everyone gets in a happier mood once spring, summer & fall come. Of course, when winter hits, it's all downhill from there! Unless of course you happen to love the snow & cold, then you're all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee