Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,720,807 times

Advertisements

OK...metro Milwaukee doesn't seem to have a huge amount of love, pride, representation, etc., on this forum. In fact, maybe that is metro Milwaukee in general...just somewhat of an inferiority complex. However, while I can point to three big negatives of metro Milwaukee:
1) Weather (November - mid-April)
2) Property taxes / cost of housing
3) Suburbanites trying to emulate Chicago 'burbanites in a gruff, cut-throat manner

However, I love Milwaukee metro, and think it is an underrated gem. People that live in the metro - often having never lived elsewhere - often times do not even realize the gem they are sitting on.

I found a list someone once wrote citing the reasons they loved Milwaukee. I tweaked and revised it to fit my opinion, and think it is accurate into the reasons I personally love metro Milwaukee (Milwaukee and its 30+ suburbs).

So...while there is often negativity (or a lack of posting) in the Milwaukee metro area, here is a former native Milwaukeean hoping to get back listing 75 reasons I love metro Milwaukee:

1) The people -
while overall hard to initially get to know (people are in general more reserved), the friends you meet here will be the most genuine, friend-for-life good hearted people (and colorful - INTERESTING!) in the country
2) Folks in metro Milwaukee are very diverse and for better or worse are not dull in general
3) The beautiful lakefront, Lake Michigan, and the scenic beaches...great areas for runners, bikers, etc.
4) The 1st-place Milwaukee Brewers and the world-class facility that is Miller Park (w/ corresponding dome for bad weather)
5) The incredibly many summertime cultural festivals
6) The sports: the Bucks / Green Bay (should be "slash" Milwaukee) Packers and collegiate sports - great so many sporting options for a city of its size
7) Top-notch park systems and recreation spaces
8) The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (while I often do not agree with the editorial slant of the paper, its news content, layout, graphics, etc., are among the best of all papers in the nation...seriously. I miss that paper so much living away from the city and visit its website every day)
9) Summerfest...truly a signature festival that is unique
10) Everything is rather accessible and convenient in comparison to much bigger metros like Chicago, Boston, even St. Louis
11) It is very close to Chicago and Madison, WI allowing for usage of not just Milwaukee's ammenities, but also Chicago's and Madison's
12) Especially in the city itself gorgeous old buildings are everywhere
13) Many entertainment options for a city of its size.
14) Many dining / restaurant dinings (of many ethnicities) for a city of its size and even compared to bigger cities
15) Metro Milwaukee definitely still feels like a small town that has a big city appeal
16) Great live theatre / arts
17) Many great local colleges, universities, community colleges, etc. all over the city and suburbs - both public and private
18) A historic, charming, and unique city that is varied
19) Many world-class golf courses (private) and a great public golf course set of systems
20) The Milwaukee County Zoo is a gem
21) Ever-improving retail (with even more options closeby in Chicago)
22) Beautiful, unique, aged theaters, like the Pabst and the Oriental.
23) Winter excitment (yes winter) - blizzards and frightful wind chills (is there anything more exciting than getting a day off of work due to a big blizzard?)...this gets really old in March, but in January, it can actually be kind of exciting
24) Midwest Express is a great local airline
25) Many varied ethnic eateries brings cuisines from all around
26) Frozen custard (you'll never crave ice cream again)
27) Friday night fish fries
28) Mitchell Park Domes - just another unique thing in a cold, norther climate for garden lovers
29) Wisconsin State Fair (like Summerfest, Milwaukee metro loves to party when the weather is good)...including the cream puffs
30) Brats, beer, and cheese (yes, the negative stereotypes aren't really all that negative)
31) Mitchell International Airport is pretty much a perfect-sized airport
32) Milwaukee metro, while taxes are absurd and housing prices for my tastes too high, is still affordable compared to many cities (such as neighborhing metro Chicago)
33) The city has aged, historic, beautiful churches
34) Safe streets and neighborhoods in almost all of the suburbs
35) Fireworks all the time in the summer (again, this metro area may have lousy weather for long periods, but when it does get nice, they don't take it for granted)
36) Three rivers to enjoy along with Lake Michigan in Milwaukee alone
37) The Milwaukee Symphony and other great arts / theater options for a city of its size
38) There are four distinct seasons (if only that darn winter one wasn't so long and spring / fall were longer)...however falls are beautiful, summers are great, and the first month or two of winter isn't so bad either
39) Community spirit - people overall take pride in being "cheeseheads", cheering for the Packers, being Wisconsinites
40) Harley-Davidson (although not my cup of tea, great visibility for the city)
41) The coolish, pleasant summer weather
42) Impressive historic homes
43) Lake Drive
44) Allen-Bradley Clock Tower - largest 4-sided clock in the world
45) The Artesian Well on Pryor Street in Bay View
46) The metro area - even the most urban parts - are close to the country and serenity
47) The expressways are efficient (I-94, I-43, I-45)
48) Petit National Ice Center
49) Tailgate parties at Miller Park Stadium (or two hours north in Green Bay at Lambeau Field)
50) Bob Uecker - a legend that Milwaukee is lucky to have on Brewers' broadcasts
51) Al's Run/Walk and the Lakefront Marathon
52) George Webb's
53) Boerner Botanical Gardens
54) Special smells, like the breweries and the yeast factories
55) Beautiful bridges
56) It's a city that knows how to celebrate
57) The city has a cosmopolitan feel to it
58) Cream city brick
59) Eagle's Ballroom
60) Edelweiss river tour boat (which was re-started again this year)
61) Farmer's markets in the summertime
62) Iroquois boat rides on Lake Michigan
63) Kinnnickinnic Avenue
64) Milwaukee's unique Convention Center Downtown
65) The Port of Milwaukee
66) River Flicks -- free movies on the river
67) Water Street (just please, take a cab home)
68) Family and friends make Milwaukee special
69) Usinger's
70) The flame atop the Wisconsin Gas building
71) Milwaukee Art Museum
72) The Milwaukee skyline
73) Goldmann's Department Store
74) Milwaukee East Side and North Shore suburbs (just beautiful and unique)
75) Waukesha County's Lake Country suburbs...close to Milwaukee, yet beautiful lakes, dark night skies, great little towns (I always thought Oconomowoc would be one of the great suburbs to live in)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:26 AM

23 posts, read 146,550 times
As a 22 year old, it's one of the best college / party towns I've ever been in! You can party like it's Friday night every night of the week if you choose!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleachednblonde View Post
As a 22 year old, it's one of the best college / party towns I've ever been in! You can party like it's Friday night every night of the week if you choose!
Yep, Milwaukeeans know how to celebrate and enjoy life.

Especially in the warmer months...Water Street, etc., are just amazingly alive.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 234,487 times
Thanks for the great list. I'd agree that Milwaukee is an underrated gem, for these reasons and more.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 PM

27 posts, read 143,423 times
I'd agree with all those things except that the Journal Sentinel is one of the best papers in the nation. There are some good reporters but overall nothing to write home about.

On negatives I'd add the violent crime rate that is astounding. As well as a public school system that is a virtual warzone.

Overall Milwaukee is a great city, fun and affordable.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathead View Post
I'd agree with all those things except that the Journal Sentinel is one of the best papers in the nation. There are some good reporters but overall nothing to write home about.

On negatives I'd add the violent crime rate that is astounding. As well as a public school system that is a virtual warzone.

Overall Milwaukee is a great city, fun and affordable.
Fair enough.

I don't know why, but I just simply love the Journal Sentinel. Again, I do not typically agree with the editorial slant, etc., so I am not judging it by that. But I have found that I just love the graphics, layout, design, etc., of the paper. I love their website versus so many other newpapers' websites...so much easier to navigate and follow. Their sports' coverage is typically great and very thorough, and it is just an easy paper to follow / read.

Also - the content is huge compared to many papers (in terms of stories, etc.). I live in Albuquerque, NM currently, and we are lucky to get 12 pages in the front news section for a daily paper, and our Sunday paper's news coverage is awful...the JS's front page section is usually very lengthy, and their Sunday actually has relevant news. Here, it is like news takes a break between Saturdays and Mondays.

But I surely can understand and respect not liking the paper. For some reason though, I really love that paper.

As for the crime rate and MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools), I cannot argue what you say in the least as it relates to the city of Milwaukee itself. I would never for a moment consider sending my children to MPS for any stretch. However, I guess that is why I tried to target the list as "Milwaukee metro" rather than just the city itself. Most of Milwaukee's suburbs are completely safe and serene (very near Milwaukee) and the schools are incredibly better than MPS.

When it comes to things like safety, schools, etc., places like Brookfield, New Berlin, Menomonee Falls, Shorewood, Glendale, Pewaukee, etc., are night-and-day better than Milwaukee, even though they are essentially right on MKE's border and to a resident of the area, they don't even seem like separate towns.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:39 AM

20 posts, read 92,600 times

Hello, Enjoy,
Thank you for this list. It is exactly what I would say is wonderful about Milwaukee, too.
I read it to my husband. He's from Brookfield and I'm from the North side of Milwaukee. We've lived in northern CA for 25 years, but we still think about the East side of Milwaukee.
Thanks!
kj

Old 05-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbem View Post

Hello, Enjoy,
Thank you for this list. It is exactly what I would say is wonderful about Milwaukee, too.
I read it to my husband. He's from Brookfield and I'm from the North side of Milwaukee. We've lived in northern CA for 25 years, but we still think about the East side of Milwaukee.
Thanks!
kj
Not a problem...I am glad you and your husband enjoyed it! The East side of Milwaukee is great...a little colder in the winter than northern CA though!

Here is reason #76 that Milwaukee metro area is great:

http://www.nbc30.com/news/2608638/detail.html

The 14th most-fun city in the U.S.!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 PM

151 posts, read 705,752 times
Thanks for your list! I agree with everything it included after living here for almost 30 years. Alas, we are moving to Reno, NV and I am sad to see that it is not on the fun list.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Thanks for your list! I agree with everything it included after living here for almost 30 years. Alas, we are moving to Reno, NV and I am sad to see that it is not on the fun list.
Well, take heart. I have heard many-a-great thing about Reno too, and the winters'll be a little shorter than you are used to in Milwaukee. I live still currently in Albuquerque and it isn't on the list either, yet I could have more fun here than a huge amount of cities on the list.

However, Milwaukee deserves its ranking. People in Milwaukee just embrace celebrations and "letting loose" in a very comforting way. Folks in Milwaukee overall work very hard, but they also know when it is time to put work aside and enjoy recreational life too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee