Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times

Advertisements

Hi, I moved here this past august from california. I just wanted to drop a thread and say that it is awesome. Here are my top 10 reasons as to why I like Milwaukee.

1. Lake Michigan
2. Downtown
3. People are friendly
4. 4 seasons
5. Little traffic
6. Reasonable cost of living
7. Beer + Cheese.
8. Amazing medical care (Froedert and MCW).
9. Proximity to Chicago without being a dinky suburb or being in chicago.
10. It feels like my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM

295 posts, read 546,703 times
My list goes on a lot longer than that but anyways welcome to the Brew City!!! Just wait till next summer when you can exp a full Milw summer. Summerfest, Lakefront Festival of the Arts, Riversplash, all the ethnic festivals.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,780 times
#4. Four Seasons

Often an overlooked aspect of the midwest. I would have to agree...even the snow.

I will just contribute some of my personal favorites for each season here in milwaukee:

Summer -
- festival season! Personal faves: Cheesefest/Brady Street Days, Summer Solstice on North Avenue, and Locust Street Days: home of the famed two mile Beer Run!
- Veterans Park
- McKinley marina tennis courts

Fall - the bars start carrying some great seasonal fall beers!!

Winter - downtown holiday lights display, Nutcracker Ballet at Marcus Center by Milwaukee Ballet

Spring - Oak Leaf Bike Trail, Alterra opens the outdoor patios

Thanks for the post!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,723 times
Sometimes it takes the fresh perspective of someone who just moved here to remind us that Milwaukee is a pretty awesome city. Thanks for the positivity. It is sorely needed on this forum.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
What do I love about Milwaukee.....the Public Museum, specifically Streets of Old Milwaukee & European Village. If I could live in there, I'd be set. The zoo, especially when it's pretty dead & no kids running around & the prairie dogs are my favorite exhibit, they're so squeezable! People watching on Brady St. in the summer, either enjoying coffee at Brewed or a drink at Nomad. Brats....that's all I have to say about brats, they are scrumptious. Miller Brewing being one of our claims to fame for I love me some ice cold Miller Lite. The hot artsy guys I see whenever I'm in Riverwest. I love living on the lake even though I don't partake in it as much as I should, but it's nice to know it's there. The Hoan Bridge, without it I'd have to endure driving down KK everyday & the slow drivers would cause a mental breakdown. The bags & purses at Miss Groove, they are exceptional (sorry, I had to put that in, I'm a girl!) I love that we have so many parks, no matter how small or rundown they may be. The Polar Bear Plunge, even though I've never participated, I'm not that crazy!! What do I loathe about Milwaukee? The parking checkers.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:28 PM

295 posts, read 546,703 times
Quote:
The Hoan Bridge, without it I'd have to endure driving down KK everyday & the slow drivers would cause a mental breakdown
Why is this? I always got stuck behind someone driving 25 on KK or 30 and this drove me nuts, are all the slow drivers from crudahy or south milwaukee? This was one of my pet peeves about bay view, another one was the goth people. I'd bring someone from out of town and on the corner would be standing 5 people with more staples in there bodys than an office max. Nonetheless I love Bay View I would just live east of KK.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Why is this? I always got stuck behind someone driving 25 on KK or 30 and this drove me nuts, are all the slow drivers from crudahy or south milwaukee? This was one of my pet peeves about bay view, another one was the goth people. I'd bring someone from out of town and on the corner would be standing 5 people with more staples in there bodys than an office max. Nonetheless I love Bay View I would just live east of KK.
LOL, I've never seen the goth people, where are they lurking? But yeah, what is it about south of downtown the people drive like "Driving Miss Daisy"?? Why oh why do they drive that slow?? And what's even more frustrating is for most of KK going towards downtown it's 2 lanes, but STILL you get stuck behind slow movers! ARRGGHH!!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 PM

86 posts, read 307,614 times
The City of Milwaukee is the most underrated city in the nation, and it's not even close. The Milwaukee suburbs are generic and no different than "anyplace USA" but the city itself is amazing. I'vre lived all over the nation and just moved to Bayview last year from Dallas, TX and don't see any end in sight to the love affair we have with the city. The only people who have negative things to say about Milwaukee are the people who have lived here their whole lives or those who have never been here. Milwaukee has a very big and very positive future. Great location, great neighbors, great neighborhoods restaurants/bars, great Lake, etc etc etc etc.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 AM

104 posts, read 416,254 times
SickOfTheSunbelt-I love Milwaukee and I have lived here my whole life! I grew up in Shorewood and moved to Riverwest when I was 18. I am now 39 and will probably always live in the city!

Not everyone who has lived here their whole life hates Milwaukee. I have been all over the USA and I love to travel, but I will always come home to Milwaukee.

I love BayView, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee