Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times

Advertisements

The riot or whatever yopu want to call it by 50 or so young people would be a scary thing if it is a trend with more of the same type of thing happening in the future. In my opinion this coming summer is going to be a socially hot one. The sings of the times don't look good.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I'm not worried, I do wish Mayfair officials would just ban teens without parents all day instead of just selected hours.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 AM

280 posts, read 648,014 times
I'm not scared either. Of course, I'm also not a paranoid, uptight suburbanite who thinks every isolated incident is a sign of the apocalypse.

And yes, this is an isolated incident. That's why I've been going to Mayfair for close to three decades and have never seen anything like this happen before.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I don't think it's even relevant, to be honest. So far, the only result of the incident is increased security at the two most exclusive shopping centers in Milwaukee County. And probably elsewhere.

The only message that I took away from the Mayfair incident, was that a bunch of minors wanted to prove that they were idiots. They succeeded. The outcome was only a bit of damage, and resulted in more exclusive policies at places where the majority of the shoppers are probably thankful for those policies anyway. Translation--the whole incident was a waste of time, with virtually no net effect on legitimate shoppers, or the revenue of the mall.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm not worried, I do wish Mayfair officials would just ban teens without parents all day instead of just selected hours.
If you met them while walking on some street you would be worried.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM

280 posts, read 648,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
If you met them while walking on some street you would be worried.
I doubt he'd be living in Walker's Point if that were the case.

I honestly think the people who live in Milwaukee's suburbs might be the most paranoid and viscerally hateful people anywhere in America. They certianly top all of the places I've ever lived. And worse yet, most of them seem blissfully unaware that most of the country evolved past their views on race relations sometime in the 1950s and think what they're feeling is actually normal. I seriously think these people would bring back colored drinking fountains if they could.

Last edited by Devitron5000; 01-13-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Okay I am no fan of the suburbs and I refuse to live there but the suburban bashing gets really old especially painting suburbanites as racists. Majority of suburban people have moved there from Milwaukee or Milwaukee County. All the people I know in the suburbs grew up in the inner city in Milwaukee so typecasting them as racists or backwards ignorant morons might leave egg on your face.

Just because you live around 98% whites doesn't make you a racists likewise if you live in a neighborhood 100% black doesn't make you a racist either.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post

I honestly think the people who live in Milwaukee's suburbs might be the most paranoid and viscerally hateful people anywhere in America. They certianly top all of the places I've ever lived. And worse yet, most of them seem blissfully unaware that most of the country evolved past their views on race relations sometime in the 1950s and think what they're feeling is actually normal. I seriously think these people would bring back colored drinking fountains if they could.
What are you saying? That if a suburban person was walking down and street and ran into 50 young punks that he is paranoid and full of hatred of he feels fear?

Most of the country has evolved past suburbanites views in the 1950s? Where have you been living in a log cabin in the north woods? Race relations are worse now than they have ever been. And don't blame the suburbanites who happen to be generally a liberal bunch of people. You can blame the gangbangers and the government who encourages that sort of behavior.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
I don't know what the situation is for young black people who legitimately want to shop at the mall or see a movie there. It could be that they are continuously hassled by the mall cops. If I was in that situation I would probably protest too. Sure, the protest got out of hand but what can you expect with kids?

The sad thing is that they are protesting something stupid like the freedom to shop at a mall instead of protesting against some real political issue which will affect their entire future.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post

Just about every city in America has such a problem. Some worse than others. Not making excuses, but Milwaukee seems about middle of the pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee