Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 PM

280 posts, read 649,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Okay I am no fan of the suburbs and I refuse to live there but the suburban bashing gets really old especially painting suburbanites as racists. Majority of suburban people have moved there from Milwaukee or Milwaukee County. All the people I know in the suburbs grew up in the inner city in Milwaukee so typecasting them as racists or backwards ignorant morons might leave egg on your face.

Just because you live around 98% whites doesn't make you a racists likewise if you live in a neighborhood 100% black doesn't make you a racist either.
Suburb bashing is old? There must be at least a handful of posts bashing Milwaukee then there is for every one that talks bad about the suburbs. And I'm not "bashing." There's something to be said for the fact that Milwaukee has been the metro area with the highest concentration of blacks in the central city for the past 5 census rounds (and possibly 6 depending on 2010)... or the fact that Milwaukee is the largest city in America with no type of commuter rail... or the fact that Mark Belling's arbitrons (ratings for you non-radio folk ) actually went up after he said "*******" on the air. Even the mayor of New Berlin is on record saying that prejudice is a huge problem in the suburbs.

By no means am I saying that everyone who lives in the suburbs is a racist, but I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that there's not a culture of paranoia and cultural ignorance in the suburbs and that it doesn't have everything to do with the insane levels of racial tension in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Just about every city in America has such a problem. Some worse than others. Not making excuses, but Milwaukee seems about middle of the pack.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like you've haven't experienced too much outside of the Midwest. I say that because I thought the same thing until I moved away from this part of the country and realized that the urban-suburban divides we take for granted here are pretty much a Rust Belt phenomenon. You'd be surprised at how well suburbs get along with their host cities in the south and west... even places like Nashville and Denver that have a progressive city and conservative burbs are more cohesive than we are.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:36 PM

280 posts, read 649,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
What are you saying? That if a suburban person was walking down and street and ran into 50 young punks that he is paranoid and full of hatred of he feels fear?
LOL... this is exactly what I'm talking about! When has that ever happened?

And no, it didn't happen this past weekend either. Last I checked, Mayfair Mall wasn't "the street."

Quote:
Most of the country has evolved past suburbanites views in the 1950s? Where have you been living in a log cabin in the north woods? Race relations are worse now than they have ever been.
Ever? I'll grant you that race relations have taken a nosedive since about November of 2008 (I wonder why!), but I'm pretty sure things were much worse before 1865 or so. And according to the latest census counts, there's more black people living in suburbs than ever before. But oddly enough, that phenomena seems to have missed Milwaukee (again... I wonder why!)

Quote:
And don't blame the suburbanites who happen to be generally a liberal bunch of people.
The same bleeding-hearts who voted Walker into office, right?

Quote:
You can blame the gangbangers and the government who encourages that sort of behavior.
So you're telling me that the government is sponsoring gang activity and that you're a rational minded person who isn't the least bit paranoid?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM

73,103 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
I don't know what the situation is for young black people who legitimately want to shop at the mall or see a movie there. It could be that they are continuously hassled by the mall cops. If I was in that situation I would probably protest too. Sure, the protest got out of hand but what can you expect with kids?

The sad thing is that they are protesting something stupid like the freedom to shop at a mall instead of protesting against some real political issue which will affect their entire future.
The sad fact is, there are many who DON'T care about the Black shopper who is there as a legitimate shopper because, unfortunately, while most African-Americans aren't criminals, it is the criminals who get the most attention. Being a decent individual doesn't always keep you from being harrassed. In fact, it could be argued that being an INDIVIDUAL doesn't work people there are many people who see THE GROUP rather than the individual. This is how some people think.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,143,399 times
I like Brookfield's mall better these days. I use to go to Mayfair a lot, and it is still a good mall, but the kids are annoying. Brookfield is not racist, it has white people, black people, east asians, Indians, middle eastern.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM

131 posts, read 209,378 times
I've probably said this on this forum three times, but Southridge has always had more arrests than Mayfair. Always. Why don't you hear about it? Why didn't you hear about the white kids getting ****ed up, fighting, and stealing at Mayfair before they put in the theater?

How many people actually know that the murder at the end of Northridge's life was perpetrated by a white guy?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagbardCeline View Post
I've probably said this on this forum three times, but Southridge has always had more arrests than Mayfair. Always. Why don't you hear about it? Why didn't you hear about the white kids getting ****ed up, fighting, and stealing at Mayfair before they put in the theater?

How many people actually know that the murder at the end of Northridge's life was perpetrated by a white guy?
You bring up good points. I forgot about the Northridge incident. Northridge was on its way down anyway, but this incident basically killed that mall.

I would argue that because White people are in the majority, they are more likely to get a pass, whereas, African-Americans make up 13% of the population, and the majority of things you see on the 6pm News involved stories about gangbangers, murder, drug dealers, and other bad things. This stuff does happen, but do you here any positive stories about the good things that African-Americans are doing? I ask this because those stories are out there if you look for them.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,307,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
LOL... this is exactly what I'm talking about! When has that ever happened?

And no, it didn't happen this past weekend either. Last I checked, Mayfair Mall wasn't "the street."

Ever? I'll grant you that race relations have taken a nosedive since about November of 2008 (I wonder why!), but I'm pretty sure things were much worse before 1865 or so. And according to the latest census counts, there's more black people living in suburbs than ever before. But oddly enough, that phenomena seems to have missed Milwaukee (again... I wonder why!)

The same bleeding-hearts who voted Walker into office, right?

So you're telling me that the government is sponsoring gang activity and that you're a rational minded person who isn't the least bit paranoid?
No, Mayfair Mall isn't a street but any simpleton can reason that if 50 people descend on a mall they could also be on a street somewhere sometime. Or do they just go in groups in malls for some reason.

Race relations took a nose dive way before 2008. When the government started forced integration is when race relations started going downhill bigtime. Anyone who pays any attention to race relations worldwide knows that multiculturalism is a problem everywhere in the world. Pick the spot, Sri Lanka-war, Middle east-war and conflict, Maylasia-conflict, etc. etc. and multicurlturalism doesn't work. America is not exception.

The government protects gang activity by blaming whites for racism everytime there is a racial conflict somewhere. There are people blaming whites for that Mayfair Mall incident. How about blaming the perpetrators of the crime.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
No, Mayfair Mall isn't a street but any simpleton can reason that if 50 people descend on a mall they could also be on a street somewhere sometime. Or do they just go in groups in malls for some reason.

Race relations took a nose dive way before 2008. When the government started forced integration is when race relations started going downhill bigtime. Anyone who pays any attention to race relations worldwide knows that multiculturalism is a problem everywhere in the world. Pick the spot, Sri Lanka-war, Middle east-war and conflict, Maylasia-conflict, etc. etc. and multicurlturalism doesn't work. America is not exception.

The government protects gang activity by blaming whites for racism everytime there is a racial conflict somewhere. There are people blaming whites for that Mayfair Mall incident. How about blaming the perpetrators of the crime.
Race relations have been bad long before. That is the way it has been since the USA became a nation. African-Americans were never given a fair shake or any say in the things they wanted. Last time I checked, African slaves didn't have a say in whether or not they wanted to come to the USA or not. They were brought here by force, as slaves. Free African-Americans weren't treated any better. They were restricted in what they could do in comparison to the White population. How is that suppose to be good race relations? This is why I personally feel that integration was "forced" as you say. The last time I checked, it was African-Americans who were restricted in where they could live. There were sundown towns all over the USA that forbid African-Americans from living there. In cities like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Detroit, New York,Chicago, etc, African-Americans were restricted to living in certain parts of those cities via restrictive covenants or other discriminatory practices. In the South, schools were segregated by race through the LAW. It was the law of the land. And separate schools for Blacks were not equipped as good as White schools, as Black schools got the hand-me-downs from White schools. Segregated buses, theatres, being refused service in some hotels and restaurants. All of this and the Black man had NO say in it. Bad race relations are part of this nation's entire history. African-Americans have always been hated, especially after slavery ended. African-Americans were often prevented from voting in many states through discriminatory practices.
The way I see it, being a citizen of this nation means having the same rights, privileges, and access as any other person in the USA, regardless of race/ethnicity. Either treat everyone equally under the law as citizens of this nation, or let everyone have their own nation. Restrictive covenants, sundown towns, and other "legislated" forms of discrimination shouldn't be happening because this means treated a certain part of the population as "non-citizens" of this nation. Why should I have to suffer because of the color of my skin or my ethnicity.
I say multiculturalism has not worked in some places because of the lack of willingness for everyone to recognize everyone as human beings and citizens of said nations, and furthermore, everyone is seeking control of everyone and trying to discriminate. African-Americans, Native Americans, and other non-White ethnic groups have historically been treated badly in the USA.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,007,202 times
Quote:

You may want to rethink your forced integration is when race relations went downhill comment. If you study US history, which I'm sure you do, you'll should be well aware of our brutal past when it comes to race. I believe that beatings, slavery, hangings, real estate red lining, Jim Crow laws, etc are a good way to keep a group down and controlled. No problem with race relations when one group has to be worried about being hung in public for nothing else but being black. I'm sure African Americans and almost everyone else will not agree with your remark.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 01-15-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM

There is still a question to be asked? You have many legitimate African-American shoppers who don't cause trouble. In fact, I watched the video. A woman was their with her niece and nephews. All legitimate shoppers who happen to be African-Americans. She was almost trampled over. This normally doesn't happen. If African-Americans are going to be targeted more by security, how does is helpful to persons who are NOT criminals and who just want to shop in peace? I know that if I went to the mall and I got harrassed/searched by security for no apparent reason, I was be upset to the point of considering never shopping at the mall against as my own personal boycott. The first thing to come to my mind would be "what did I do to deserve this"? If someone is going to target me because of my race or ethnicity, my question will most likely be "I haven't done anything. Why me?"

In fact, where I live, in the suburbs of Atlanta, this has never happened at Town Center Mall, or any mall for that matter. I see alot of African-Americans shopping at my local mall and I haven't heard of any incidents happening there in years. In fact, more African-Americans have moved to the Kennesaw/Marietta area and have been shopping at the local mall, and I haven't seen many problems. Apart from the occasional young fool who tries to act stupid, nothing out of the ordinary. I wonder what the dynamics could be between Milwaukee vs Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee