Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 PM

83 posts, read 311,062 times

Advertisements

I've been finding the history of Mayfair Mall incredibly fascinating. Nowadays it's just essentially like any other mall in America, but in the 1970s, it was really something else. I found Mayfair Mall on Mall Hall of Fame.

I read the comments and read nearly every article I could find. I saw a rendering of the greenhouse, a few fuzzy images of the ice rink, and a fuzzy picture of the Bazaar, which was a two-level "mall-within-a-mall". Apparently, the basement section of the Bazaar still exists and is intact (albeit abandoned).

Using the 1959 plan as a reference (05a_Mayfair+Center+plan_1959.jpg (image)), I devised a rough 1970s plan (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8243916/Mayfair%20Mall_1973.jpg) showing where I think everything was.

How was the Bazaar arranged, and do I have the McDonald's in the right place?

Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you had photos or even a mall directory from this era (1973-1986). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I'm not old enough to remember the bazaar or the ice rink that well, but I definitely remember being at Mayfair mall with those features. I'm sure someone will remember it better than I.

As an aside, I just spent a half an hour looking at the Mall Hall Of Fame. All the old mall names I remember from around the country... Some are still there, some are better, some are gone.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 PM

402 posts, read 976,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Guy View Post
I've been finding the history of Mayfair Mall incredibly fascinating. Nowadays it's just essentially like any other mall in America, but in the 1970s, it was really something else. I found Mayfair Mall on Mall Hall of Fame.

I read the comments and read nearly every article I could find. I saw a rendering of the greenhouse, a few fuzzy images of the ice rink, and a fuzzy picture of the Bazaar, which was a two-level "mall-within-a-mall". Apparently, the basement section of the Bazaar still exists and is intact (albeit abandoned).

Using the 1959 plan as a reference (05a_Mayfair+Center+plan_1959.jpg (image)), I devised a rough 1970s plan (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8243916/Mayfair%20Mall_1973.jpg) showing where I think everything was.

Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you had photos or even a mall directory from this era (1973-1986). Thanks.
You have McDonalds exactly where it was, I remember being there and watching people skate. I cannot recall how the Bazaar was arranged though.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 PM

83 posts, read 311,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
You have McDonalds exactly where it was, I remember being there and watching people skate. I cannot recall how the Bazaar was arranged though.
So it was located, partially in the mall concourse, but partially in the office tower too?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM

402 posts, read 976,612 times
Quote:
So it was located, partially in the mall concourse, but partially in the office tower too?
The office tower west half first two levels if I recally correctly was actually part of the mall which I guess would answer your question as a yes.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I remember Mayfair in 1975. That entire region of Milwaukee from 51st Blvd all the up to Mayfair was premier living. It was peaceful, no crime, beautiful midwestern place to be. Mayfair was a great place to be back then with the skating rink. Good living then.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM

172 posts, read 414,442 times
I used to take ice-skateing lessons at Mayfair in the early '80s.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,686 times
Quote:
I've been finding the history of Mayfair Mall incredibly fascinating. Nowadays it's just essentially like any other mall in America, but in the 1970s, it was really something else. I found Mayfair Mall on [URL="http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/search/label/Wisconsin?updated-max=2010-05-01T12%3A34%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=20"]Mall Hall of Fame[/URL].

Using the 1959 plan as a reference ([URL="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AcUdTl7Aq-s/S2MQD33dPxI/AAAAAAAAQrA/9qVcXhfWjv8/s1600-h/05a_Mayfair+Center+plan_1959.jpg"]05a_Mayfair+Center+plan_1959.jpg (image)[/URL]), I devised a rough 1970s plan ([URL]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8243916/Mayfair%20Mall_1973.jpg[/URL]) showing where I think everything was.

Hi...I am looking for some things from that mall as well. I took private skating lessons there many, many years ago. My granmother also used to take me to a restaurant there named "The Stew Kettle". I am dying to find one of this former restaurant's recipes (actually 2). I want the recipe for Hobo Stew (it had what I think (as I was a kid at the time) beef short ribs
with mushrooms , carrots, and other veggies. It acame in a black little cast iron kettle and was awesome; I really want that recipe, if possible. I have looked everywhere online for this recipe and restaurant and recipe and have been unable to find it.

The restaurant also had a meatball stew that was beyond compare. I have not tasted one even close to that quality since they closed.

Does anyone have any idea of where to find these recipes? As I said, I have tried EVERYWHERE!

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,324 times
. That is a picture of what I think is the basement of te bazaar??? I work at the mall and have been recently researching It alot. Somone please tell me if they recognize this!!! I know this post is really old but I figured it was worth a shot!!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM

156 posts, read 351,276 times
Yes I believe that it is, it looks familiar. I did not remember it was called the Bazaar, but I do recall it, it was just this odd segment of stores segregated from the rest of the Mayfair Mall. I think Merle Harmon's Fan Fair and Foot Locker were located there.

No thread about the history of Mayfair can go without mentioning the stream running the length of the mall populated by goldfish. The stream ran under a series of gazebos which had glass floors so you could look down and see the goldfish as you crossed to the other side of the stream.

Of course there was the ice rink. You could watch the ice rink from the mall or from McDonalds.

Also the ice rink would occasionally be replaced by a tennis court and they would host a professional tournament. I thought my father told me that the tournament at times attracted some relatively big names, don't remember who.

I'm not an expert on malls, but these features struck me as quite unusual and distinctive. I was disappointed when they first remodeled it (late 80's I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee