Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,792 times

Advertisements

I would also like to hear about this in relation to the Air Force or Navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM

6,457 posts, read 9,832,766 times
If you want to travel to Naples get on any larger ship on the east coast! Almost all med cruises include at least 1 Naples visit!

I was on 2 med cruises and visited Spain, italy, France, israel, Malta, Greece and Turkey in the Med.

If you want to visit asian countries then go to a ship on the West Coast.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
In the Navy I did a standard 3-year tour to Naples Italy. I worked in the Navy Police Department there, at the time the US Navy operated five bases in the area, hosting NATO forces. The Police Department had 200 Military Police officers. The bases, assets and leased apartment complexes were scattered over an area of 500 square miles. According to the treaty worked out during WWII [as we took each base from the Nazis] we operate co-jurisdiction alongside Italian forces.

While I was there we would also send out 'rapid response' teams to areas in a much larger radius, if assets needed temporary assistance [Kosovo, Bah-rain, etc.]. The Navy lingo for these teams is 'Tiger teams'.

We worked 12-hours on shift and had 12-hours off. Sometimes circumstances caused a person to skip their scheduled off rotation, which meant that you did three shifts in a row before you finally got 'off duty'.

Each of our sections did a month of day shifts, then a month of nights, repeating. The rotation within that tried to get each section one day off each week. Sometimes circumstances would warrant that we worked a month or longer without any days off.

Roma is a short drive to the North, a nice place to explore.

There are many coliseums in the area. Some are huge and some are small. In Naploi is a coliseum that had been buried until a subway tunnel had tunneled into it. So when they dug it up they found it really very preserved.

Naploi sits on some very unique geological sites. A volcano that rumbles, open faults that shake and emit sulfur fumes, hot springs. One tectonic plate that is only 30-meters across that moves straight up and down. The Greeks had built an open air market on the plate, it goes down fills in with water and is a pond for centuries at a time. When I was there it was 'up' and dry. It has the statues and columns left on it by the Greeks since before the Roman Empire.

We had sailors who were renting flats that were on stone roads that had been built by the Romans, and those original roads are still in use.

Napoli is centrally located to many tourist sites. My Dw took the train once to Paris, then the next time she drove.

You can do lots of things with your annual leave. My family once we drove to Bari, took the ferry to Greece and drove around Greece for a week.

Our sons were in Boy Scouts, their troop did camporees in fantastic places. One was down in Sicily, I went along as their bus driver, we hiked up to the rim of Mt. Edna, and watched lava spewing hundreds of feet in the air above our heads.

Once I joined up with a church group led by an archeologist, we spent 3 weeks touring archeological dig sites through out Israel.

Another year I went to Egypt and did 2 weeks on a paddle steamer going up and down the Nile, with day trips to each of the sites.

Once I took a week of my leave and went to ski the Matterhorn. Zermatt Switzerland is a big ski resort that lies on the North slope of the mountain, Breuil-cervinia Italy is a bigger ski resort that is on the Southern slope. Using the ski-lifts on either side you can ski down either slope.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
Default U.S Navy

In May of this year ill be graduating from high school. I have always been 100% sure that attending college after graduation was what i was going to do but that all change. Lately i have been considering joining the Navy; i never thought i would but i guess I was wrong. I haven't talked to any recruiter since i am not sure if I should attend college first and then join the Navy or do it the other way around. Any suggestions?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydch View Post
Any suggestions?
Talk to all the recruiters right now... The experience will help you.

Good luck to you!

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-25-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
I enlisted in the Navy during my senior year and went to bootcamp a week after graduation. Six years later I got out and went to college. Four years after that I went back in the Navy.

When I first got out of the Navy I had a number of good job offers due to my Navy training. Four years later those job offers had dried up. The market and I had both changed; I was seen as a fresh college graduate with no experience. It seemed that the Navy's salary, benefits and pension were a much better deal than any job I was finding on the civilian market.

So I re-enlisted and fourteen years later I got my pension and retired.

Looking back, I can not really say if going straight into the Navy is better or worse; then going to college first.

Obviously I worked with a number of men who went to college first before going into the Navy. Was it better for them? I can not say.

Did getting out and going to college help me? It opened my eyes to a few of the realities of civilian life. It likely matured me some and changed me in such a manner that I was then ready to be 'career military'.

The Navy is not for everyone. Looking at first-enlistment sailors the majority do not consider the Navy as a viable career option. They get out.

It is really dependent on the individual.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM

6,457 posts, read 9,832,766 times
If you have an interest in any particular field it will greatly help your enlistment time. Find something fun and interesting to do and it won't be so bad.

Don't go in undesignated unless you want to be on the bottom of the totem pole much longer lol

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Talk to recruiters now. Good luck and God speed!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM

630 posts, read 1,876,048 times
Talk with a recruiter,BUT,have a parent,or guardian,or someone whose opinion you respect with you.They toss alot of BS around.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Talk with a recruiter,BUT,have a parent,or guardian,or someone whose opinion you respect with you.They toss alot of BS around.

Yeah, a navy recruiter was about to discredit my brother's opinion on enlisting in the Navy, then he asked if my brother served(probably thinking the answer would be "no").

The thing is, my brother was in the Navy waaay before I even thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues