Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times

Advertisements

NONE of the services are gay friendly no matter what the politiciians say or want; forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
I did 20+ years of Active Duty in the US Navy.

Each person's experience in the Navy is different; some love it, others hate it.

I did a lot of deployments, and spent a lot of time with no mail, no phone, no email access.

For me [and guys in my community] the pay was not bad, however I have known others whose pay was pretty low. It depends a great deal on which rate you get into and which community you are put into.

Each branch of the military [Army, Air Force, Marine, Navy] talk badly about the other branches. Anyone saying that the Navy is full of homosexuals, so doing that. Just voicing insults to try and make their branch sound better. All branches allow homosexuals to join. All branches follow Congress's UCMJ which states that homosexual activity [called Sodomy] is illegal. Homosexuals can go into the Air Force, or Navy just as easily as they can go into the Marines, etc. Once 'in' if they ever get caught committing sodomy they can be arrested, fined and/or imprisoned for it. All branches must follow the UCMJ which was written by Congress.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 AM

117 posts, read 269,363 times
Default can i still join the navy

hi i have a medical dissabilty where sometimes i lose vision in my right eye, can i still join the navy?
id like to know if theres any way i can pass my eye exam without making them aware of my eye condition
the navy is all i have and its been my dream to join it i need to be a part of it there is no other option for me
please i need help

Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times

Go see a Navy recruiter

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-02-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,638,002 times

You shouldn't try to "hide" your medical condition. For one thing, if it is truly your dream do you want to achieve it by dishonorable means? For another, your condition might get somebody (or yourself) killed. You want to live (or not live) with that?

Ask the recruiter and the chips will fall where they may. For all you know, it is not even a problem.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-02-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,638,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
First off I have no idea what you mean by "gay", but maybe that's just me. I can tell you one thing right now though; joining the navy to run away from your problems is not a good idea. When I was thinking of joining last year this situation was one of many reasons. You'll want to be looking more at what you can get out of it and take a turn toward your future. If you go into the navy to run away from your problems, you're going to get away from family problems and go into having a whole new set of problems so I'd think long and hard about this. Good luck.
I would have to disagree with this sentiment. Joining the USMC helped me get away from my problems and didn't cause any other ones. The military has always been a good place to basically start with a clean slate, IMO.

This guy may not be able to join anyway, based on his previous postings.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
Spent 8 years in the navy starting in 1990. We had gay guys on my first ship. They never came right out and said they were but it was obvious to Stevie wonder. They knew not to hit on they wrong guys. If you can join, go through the jobs the navy has to offer, study each one carefully, and decide which one you want. Come here to ask about those jobs you're interested in. My personal info will b about 13 years old so take it for what it's worth. Keep this in mind, whether you're gay or straight, having sex on the ship can lead to you getting kicked out of the navy. Two straight couples on my second ship were kicked out after getting caught having sex. That's up to the captain to decide. I

Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
Why?

Never.
Again.
Volunteer.
Yourself.

Just kidding. I served, some parts I liked, some parts I didn't. I don't like to travel and see other places, and you will end up doing that. But I did like--and miss now--being out in the middle of the open ocean, watching the wake off the fantail.

I don't recall meeting anyone who said they were gay, unless it was an "angle" they were working to get out of the service. Of course, it might be different now, it might be a kinder, gentler Navy, with them fighting to have women aboard combat vessels (has it happened yet?), but when I served, it was still a very masculine arena, where you solved your issues with your fists.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
"Rum, sodomy and the lash."

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,740 times
Default U.S. Navy

Hello I decided to join the Navy for certain reasons. One of them was to travel. Although I know the military puts you where they want I would love to go to Naples Italy. Does anybody have experience there? Also I would like to know from anybody in the Navy or prior Navy to share the places they have been. I like to hear stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues