Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone so i'm a senior right now and I just turned 18. Basically long story short, I've been interested in the navy since my junior year and have recently have been talking with a navy recruiter. My plans are to join the navy in a technology related job, earn college tuition, save money, and then return to the civilian sector with some experience and then hopefully continue with my college education with my GI bill. That is my plan long-term. My plan a year ago was to attend community college and then transfer to a university but I feel I'll get really distracted and probably party and have tons of bills (buying a car, car insurance, etc) AND COLLEGE LOANS although I would be living with my parents so I wouldn't have rent to pay. If I did go to community college.. I have absolutely no idea what I wanna do exactly and quite honestly feel I would end up putting school off for a few years which I don't wanna do.. I think I'm pretty mature but I have no experience in the real world so I feel the military could really benefit me mentally and physically I know I'm smart and ambitious but its just I feel unmotivated because I'm so clueless with what I wanna do although I do love technology. I'll probably just end up partying and spending away with my high school friends that will also be in community college.. I spoke with an army recruiter too but I decided I've always liked the idea of the navy better. What do you guys think?

Now I definitely know is not going to be easy or fun and games and will have to make sacrifices and I'm prepared for that

pros:
I don't mind being away from home for long periods of time (Most of my family lives in CA anyways)
I scored great on my ASVAB and qualify for tech jobs.
I want to travel and move to different places and I hear the Navy is the best for that.
I don't really care about pay cause I'm 18 with no kids or expenses so I'll pretty much be saving it all.
I like the idea of becoming more disciplined and could use it quite honestly.
My best friend joined and is loving it. He is an Air traffic controller and is really focused and motivated in his A school which I could see myself being like that in an environment like that.
Also if I do decide to leave after some years it looks great on a resume so it can help me out
I would be going in as an E-2 (pay isn't as important to me but still a higher rank.)
College Money that I will need (Don't want college loans)

OH and I would be going to A school in FLORIDA

Cons:
I know boot camp is tough but I'm pretty tough mentally and in great shape so I think I should be alright.
If I don't like it which I really think I will, I'll be stuck..

So if anyone has any advice for me as to what I should
What are some career outlooks? Like in a 4 year contract I hear you don't have C school so you'll be stuck doing grunt jobs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
It is not about what you qualify for, it is about what you were offered; what were you offered?

No one likes boot camp, it is not something you are suppose to like.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is not about what you qualify for, it is about what you were offered; what were you offered?

No one likes boot camp, it is not something you are suppose to like.

Ohhhh I didn't know that. Its about openings right? I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

and you're right

Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Kev, your "pros" outweigh your "cons" ... I think you will be a good candidate for serving in the Navy. It appears you've been giving this a lot of thought and are going to make an informed decision to join. The experience and skills you will learn will be invaluable in the future. I have no doubt this will contribute to your future success in life!

I'm curious why you selected the Navy over the other branches. My father was in the Army, but my mother served in the Navy.

About the travel ... don't be disappointed if you don't get to "see the world." If you do get out of the country, forget London, Paris, Rio or Sydney - chances are your ship will visit some dreary place like Oman (trust me, I've been there!)

If I was 18 the thing that would annoy me is the lack of privacy. I mean, what are you gonna do when you have the urge to ... umm ... well ... you know.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev703 View Post
Ohhhh I didn't know that. Its about openings right? I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

and you're right
Well, since you already know you are/want to go into the Navy, no need to discuss about that.

The only real thing to discuss is when you receive what rates you can select from. They will pressure you to make a decision right then, but you really should take a day to investigate and review these rates, then make the decision.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
Have you talked to any of the other service recruiters? I think you should. Don't get me wrong, the Navy is a great choice, but don't count the other services out either. I'm a bit biased since I was in the AF and my husband is still AD AF but they offer many technical career fields as well as lots of travel as well. I would look at all your of your options and really get in to the websites and look at the job descriptions that are offered.

Good Luck on finishing out your Senior Year and don't slack off! Keep those grades up!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
I think the Navy is the best choice! you should stick with the navy and dont talk to the other recruiters they will try to make you join the other branches dont listen to them

it's going to be an adventure!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev703 View Post
My plans are to join the navy in a technology related job, earn college tuition, save money, and then return to the civilian sector with some experience and then hopefully continue with my college education with my GI bill. That is my plan long-term.

I spoke with an army recruiter too but I decided I've always liked the idea of the navy better. What do you guys think?

I know boot camp is tough but I'm pretty tough mentally and in great shape so I think I should be alright.
Don't make up your mind about whether you're going to stay long term or not when you're not even in yet. You might be surprised, you might end up just loving it and staying in for quite a while.

I would speak with a recruiter from the USAF as well. Don't limit yourself to USN or Army.

Boot camp is tough but it's only temporary. That time will pass and no matter how tough the instructors are there, they can't stop time.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Heard a good one about 6 year enlistees in the Navy...

6 years in 6 figures out...

Old 12-09-2013, 06:51 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
I went into the Army straight out of high school. Overall it was a good experience, it's what I needed at the time - some advice:

Get everything in writing. don't believe anything your recruiter says if it's not in writing. If there isn't a specific dollar amount for the GI Bill/kicker for college then you're not getting it. It has to be in print.

Basic really wasn't that bad. Not saying that it's easy but you're so busy and tired all the time you don't have a minute to worry about it. When you finally get to your unit and things start to slow down is when the adjustment becomes tough. It's a tough transition to that lifestyle, especially when you realize what you've gotten yourself into.

Everyone says they're going to save their money while they're in. Hardly anyone does. At least not during their first enlistment. If you're really committed to saving something set up the accounts before you leave so you can have the money direct deposit into an account you can't access that easily. I wasn't much of a drinker but I still managed to spend most of my money on travel. It's all about priorities I suppose. I got to see a lot of the country and meet a lot of great people I still keep in touch with and I wouldn't trade that for a few grand in the bank.

I've been through a lot of **** in my life but transitioning back to civilian life is one of the hardest things I ever had to do. It really messes with you - who you are, what your place and purpose are. Those things are easily defined in the military and you look at anyone's collar or sleeve or lapel and you know exactly what their place and purpose is. It's not like that out here. There are also a lot of jobs in the military that have no direct civilian application and people who have never been in the military can't appreciate the basic concepts that you've learned that would apply to other similar jobs. Shortly after I got out I interviewed at a car dealership for a job in the parts department to do almost the same exact thing I was doing while I was in. In the army I was running my section. At the dealership I would be coming in at the bottom. The only major differences was their software/cataloguing system, which from the looks of it would've taken a few weeks to pick up at most. At the bottom of my resume I listed the Army schools I had been to. Rather than ask about the Quartermaster/Logistics school the one guy wanted to focus on (read:belittle) what I learned at Air Assault School. They offered me the job at 40% below what they had advertised. It was a really humiliating experience and I didn't take the job. Think about your skill set in the military and what you're going to do with it - if anything - when you get out. If you can't use it think ahead about what you're going to be doing while you're in college.

Going into the Guard for 3 years afterwards was just depressing but it meant free tuition at state colleges. I was coming from an infantry unit at Ft. Bragg to a rear, rear echelon support unit with a bunch of overweight, middle aged guys just hanging on for a pension. I picked it because it was close to home. Go cold turkey or shop around for a unit. I wish I had.

Being at least 4 years older than most of your classmates at school brings its own unique challenges. Be prepared for that as well.

If the Navy offers to send you to a school - do it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues