Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM

144 posts, read 158,897 times

Advertisements

I know a female who intersted in enlisting in one of those two branches.
She is 32 and has a family. Is this a good time to go in the military?
Is this too old of a age to start? I know the age limit is 28, but extened to 34 if you have a four year degree.
Which branch deploys the least? What one is best suited if you have young children.
Does the women in the Air Force or Coast go to war?
Thank you and any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
The age limit in the Navy is 35.

I would check again about the AF or CG.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,658 times
Whether or not you see combat depends pretty much on what your job is. In general, you'll see Marines and Army closer to the front lines than USAF or Navy. If you're working, say, on the flight line, they'll have you wherever the airplanes need serviced-- could be Afghanistan, could be Omaha. Chinese linguists aren't likely to end up in Baghdad, but if Korea gets busy, all bets are off.

Personally, if I had little kids, I'd think twice about joining just now-- but good luck to your friend, either way.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The age limit in the Navy is 35.

I would check again about the AF or CG.
AF is 34 if you have a 4 year degree.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,908,105 times
Has she checked into the maximum number of dependents she is allowed? She may have to get a waiver and the two services may differ in how easy that would be.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Has she checked into the maximum number of dependents she is allowed? She may have to get a waiver and the two services may differ in how easy that would be.
Yes the maximum is two. She has two children.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Well, then I would put in my vote for which ever service can offer her the career field she most desires. I am an AF spouse, so I like the AF, but I really don't know much about the CG.

Because she has 2 kids, if I were her, promotion rate would be a concern, because pay at the lower grades is not terrific. AF tends to have slow promotion rates. I don't know how the CG compares.

If she is married, her husband is considered a dependent, and from my understanding, that could require a waiver b/c that would be 3 deps. People who have done this have needed to show proof of sufficient income for the dependent spouse.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Well, then I would put in my vote for which ever service can offer her the career field she most desires. I am an AF spouse, so I like the AF, but I really don't know much about the CG.

Because she has 2 kids, if I were her, promotion rate would be a concern, because pay at the lower grades is not terrific. AF tends to have slow promotion rates. I don't know how the CG compares.

If she is married, her husband is considered a dependent, and from my understanding, that could require a waiver b/c that would be 3 deps. People who have done this have needed to show proof of sufficient income for the dependent spouse.
Her husband is a disabled veteran at 100%. Would disqualify her?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 PM

I don't know. I would guess it depends on how much his pay (disability, retirement) is. I would hope the recruiters would be able to give some guidance as to sufficient income and whether she could get a waiver. I would urge her to work with a recruiter to get better answers than I could give. I am not sure how the process works.

Even if she could get a waiver, I would definitely urge her to look at the 2009 pay charts. I think she could enter as an E3 with her college credit. It could be a couple of years before she makes E4 in the AF though. I think it was 25 or 27 mos for my husband - he entered as an E3. She and her husband will definitely need to consider whether she can support the family on E3 pay.

Back to your original question though, females in the AF definitely do get deployed to war zones. I have no idea how far out into the world the CG goes.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I would guess it depends on how much his pay (disability, retirement) is. I would hope the recruiters would be able to give some guidance as to sufficient income and whether she could get a waiver. I would urge her to work with a recruiter to get better answers than I could give. I am not sure how the process works.

Even if she could get a waiver, I would definitely urge her to look at the 2009 pay charts. I think she could enter as an E3 with her college credit. It could be a couple of years before she makes E4 in the AF though. I think it was 25 or 27 mos for my husband - he entered as an E3. She and her husband will definitely need to consider whether she can support the family on E3 pay.

Back to your original question though, females in the AF definitely do get deployed to war zones. I have no idea how far out into the world the CG goes.
Thank you for your input lisdol.
I will pass this info on to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues