Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 PM

90 posts, read 623,401 times

Advertisements

Hello all. First I want to thank any who read this and/or reply to it.

I am currently debating between joining either the Air Force or the Coast Guard. I graduated from high school 2 years ago and finally decided what I want to do with my life. I want to go into the military. After looking into all the different branches, Ive narrowed it down to either these two divisions. (Possibly the Marines, but thats doubtful). I scored a 75 on the ASVAB when I took it close to 7 or 8 months ago and probably will retake it when I decide on which branch.

I would greatly appreciate anyones thoughts on these two choices and would like to know which you think would be better and why/why not.

Thanks,
-Desert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,178,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert20 View Post
Hello all. First I want to thank any who read this and/or reply to it.

I am currently debating between joining either the Air Force or the Coast Guard. I graduated from high school 2 years ago and finally decided what I want to do with my life. I want to go into the military. After looking into all the different branches, Ive narrowed it down to either these two divisions. (Possibly the Marines, but thats doubtful). I scored a 75 on the ASVAB when I took it close to 7 or 8 months ago and probably will retake it when I decide on which branch.

I would greatly appreciate anyones thoughts on these two choices and would like to know which you think would be better and why/why not.

Thanks,
-Desert
What do you like to do?

"Your scores in the other areas of the ASVAB will determine how qualified you are for certain military occupational specialties and Enlistment Bonuses. A high score will improve your chances of getting the specialty/job and signing bonus you want." This is a great score, should open many doors with a bonus...

What is your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score?

http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_USAF.html

Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,358,587 times
My son loves the Coast Guard. There is more variety of types of work becasue they are charges with so many different operations; from law enforcement to drug interdiction to search and rescue to homeland security to environmental protection to ice breaking and maintaining waterways for commerce to aids to navigation. they do everything the other service branches do and then some.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,588,378 times
Hmmm ... still wondering what happened to this OP?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/milit...rd-better.html

Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What do you like to do?

"Your scores in the other areas of the ASVAB will determine how qualified you are for certain military occupational specialties and Enlistment Bonuses. A high score will improve your chances of getting the specialty/job and signing bonus you want." This is a great score, should open many doors with a bonus...

What is your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score?

ASVAB and Air Force Jobs - FREE ASVAB Practice Tests and ASVAB Study Guide
From what I've read, shouldnt the AFQT be the same as the ASVAB score? If not, I would need a print out of my score on the ASVAB to calculate my AFQT score if I understand correctly. My ASVAB was 75 and I was told that I qualify for just about, if not all positions in any branch.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,707,923 times
It's a tough call...Way too many variables...I you really like the beach, odds are in favor of the CG...

As far as qualifying for jobs...There are many more components to qualifying...Some are vision, if you have bad vision, no depth perception or are color blind you're DQed from several jobs. There are also certain classes they want you to take in order to qualify.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
It's a tough call...Way too many variables...I you really like the beach, odds are in favor of the CG...

As far as qualifying for jobs...There are many more components to qualifying...Some are vision, if you have bad vision, no depth perception or are color blind you're DQed from several jobs. There are also certain classes they want you to take in order to qualify.
No worries on health issues or anything such as that. Im in physically good/great shape (work out 5 days a week and run 4 miles a day every day) and I have 20/20 vision and no previous or current issues. Full color in both eyes as well.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,178,970 times
Always look at the long term, what will you gain on your decision

Are you looking for a long term military career or one term?

How will your military job translate to civilian jobs?

Answer this and will give more tidbits to help you with your decision...

Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Always look at the long term, what will you gain on your decision

Are you looking for a long term military career or one term?

How will your military job translate to civilian jobs?

Answer this and will give more tidbits to help you with your decision...
This will be a career. Im going in with the mindset that this will be my job for the next 20+ years.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,342,993 times
USAF may have an edge on getting in a job (rate, MOS, AFSC) that has a direct counterpart in the civilian world. However, if I were advising my own kids between the two, USCG would be my choice.

Why? A 20+ year hitch is hard to do. I did it myself, and it works out for some people. Problem is many will say they want 20 years (or more) but most don't really know for 4-6 years down the road (or they are stuck in for 20 because of situations beyond their control)

I guess the general differences are pretty simple. USAF if you like aviation support jobs. USCG if you like a more domestic-based maritime-type job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues