Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM

144 posts, read 158,926 times

Advertisements

I heard recruiter's are like used car sale's assoicates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
The CG goes everywhere the other service branches go, and then some. ...
Wow thanks, I did not know that.

I have spent 14 years at sea. A lot in the Northern extreme portions of the North Atlantic and the Arctic circle.

I had no idea that the CG left the US territorial waters.

Having spent time North of Greenland, I am familiar with vessels that spend months in that area. Before reading your post I had no knowledge of the CG ever going into that realm.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,355,228 times
What can I say...... you can take the teacher out of the classroon, but you can't stop her from teaching! LOL

Most people are quite surprised to learn the extent of the USCG's mission. Sometimes being the red-headed stepchild is a good thing.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 PM

So if we stay out for enough decades you say that eventually we might see a Coast Guard vessel out in the deep blue.

My career is fairly short 70s, 80s, 90s, until 2001.

I guess I should have stayed in longer

Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,355,228 times
Thrity years is a long time, were you under the water or on top of it? That might make a difference. You gotta remember there's way more of you than there are Coasties.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Underwater is when we hear the best.

Unless a vessel is dead-in-the-water with no machinery running, then they are putting out noises. Every sub within 500NM hears such a target vessel and is tracking such targets.

With the exception of DIW craft with no machinery running [like sailboats or rowboats], generally all other power craft put out a lot of noise that travels great distances.

Target craft are normally tracked by each boat in the area, it is very difficult for a target craft to hide from boats. Though boats rarely detect each other.

I have seen trawlers that were entirely undetected by boats. Though it was because they shut-off all machinery and drift with the current, sometimes as they tend their nets.

To my knowledge CG ships are designed and built for speed. They go fast and make lots of noise. A unique set of noises for each hull design so combatants in the area can quickly classify them by hull number, and determine them to be 'friendly'.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM

144 posts, read 158,926 times
I stand corrected as the age cut off for Air Force is 28 even with a four year degree.
Officer is the only way up to 34 and have to be American citzen.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlabs View Post
I know a female who intersted in enlisting in one of those two branches.
She is 32 and has a family. Is this a good time to go in the military?
Is this too old of a age to start? I know the age limit is 28, but extened to 34 if you have a four year degree.
Which branch deploys the least? What one is best suited if you have young children.
Does the women in the Air Force or Coast go to war?
Thank you and any feedback is appreciated.
Retired military guy here, what is here reason for wanting to serve her country?
That will answer your question of is it a good time to enter active duty..

I know some of the services have extended their age limits due to the wars overseas unfortunately, contact a recruiter "online" and check on the age criteria on the specific service of interest..
Which branch deploys the least? With a war that's a tough one due to the shortage of military ..but based on history, I would say Coast Guard is least, then the Air Force and Navy are close and ofcourse Army then US Marines in that order..
I have a daughter in the US Air Force , and she's been in the sand box twice now..

We need more ppl wanting to serve their country.....

Old 11-12-2008, 04:43 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlabs View Post
I heard recruiter's are like used car sale's assoicates.
Some are due to the pressure of their "quota's" each month...but then again some are not..I served in this role for a few years and helped a good number of civilians with their enlistment process, ensuring they received what jobs they wanted "but based on their ASVAB scores" and were qualified for the program of choice, but always remember the "needs of the military are always first and foremost...

vette-dude

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,949 times
I would say if you have dependants and are looking at active duty, probably USAF would be the way to go. I was in that situation back in '83 when I went active USAF from the Army Reserve and served until '92 when they had the reduction in force incentives to get out. However, it was a different USAF then. I imagine that the majority are deployable now and their overall mission is much more focused to the current times and events. One good point about USAF deployments is that they are of shorter duration, but then again depending what you do for them they can also be very frequent which with a familiy, especially a single parent family, could prove to be a challenge. Another thing to keep in mind about the USAF is that a significant percentage of enlistees come in under what we used to call "open general" meaning that at some point prior to completing basic training they will decide which job and school you will be assigned. Some folks prefer a guaranteed slot for training and job prior to committing for four years which I was lucky to get. Anyway, I have gone full circle and am in the Army Guard now. I wanted to get back with USAF after 9-11, but being over 40 at the time I guess they figured my odometer was too high. With the army they don't care and even without prior service you can enlist now up to age 42 compared to the 27 of USAF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues