Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
I agree...I almost laughed out loud when the poster said "if people want natural beauty they would move to FL or AZ". Are you KIDDING me!? First of all, AZ has no real water or greenery.What the hell is beautiful about that? And wouldnt someone choose Hawaii in a minute over Florida if they wanted a tropical kind of beauty? Again, that is my opinion....but seriously I have heard so many things about the boringness of the brown, desert west.

And to the person who asked about the suburbs...no, Detroits suburbs are not doing bad like the city is.
Of course every state has it's nice parts on bad parts. However,I would take the nice parts of Florida / Arizona over Michigan anyday.

Have you ever been to the keys? Beaches in Naples? Grand Canyon in Arizona?

I've been to all three, and Michigan doesn't even compare.

Arizona

Florida West Coast

Michigan
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/h/Haapala/44.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Of course every state has it's nice parts on bad parts. However,I would take the nice parts of Florida / Arizona over Michigan anyday.

Have you ever been to the keys? Beaches in Naples? Grand Canyon in Arizona?

I've been to all three, and Michigan doesn't even compare.

Arizona

Florida West Coast

Michigan
I've also been to all three and would take Michigan any day over them. All a matter of what someone finds beautiful. Granted those areas are very beautiful in their own right, but they are not something I would want to wake up to every single morning.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,909,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I've also been to all three and would take Michigan any day over them. All a matter of what someone finds beautiful. Granted those areas are very beautiful in their own right, but they are not something I would want to wake up to every single morning.
You are right Bydand, everyone has their own eye for beauty! Arizona and Florida are beautiful, but I would also chose Michigan because of the many different areas of beauty we have here. If Michigan had the weather AZ and FL do, and say 84 degree lakes to go along with it, we would compete with anyone. I myself love the fact we have so many awesome parts of the state and all with a different feel. Now the pics NSX put up are awesome, but I like the Michigan one because I love a secluded lake surrounded by forest...thats just me. Oh...and we have the U.P, Lake Superior, Grand Isle, Isle Royale...and on and on and on.....comon, cant compare to AZ and FL.....LOL!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,956,094 times
Yes , notice he did not show a picture of Lake Superior. The U.P. blows away almost anything in AZ. they have the Grand Canyon and the Red Rocks...thats about it, and for the most part you would not be living in these places. Most retires live in Scottsdale...lets see a picture of that.
Now comparing to the Florida keys...yes they are special, like no where else, in the extremes, just like the U.P. is, quite comparable. I could go for a winter home in key West and my summer place on a mountain top in the U.P....I am half way there....about as far as I will get this late in life, I think.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I could go for a winter home in key West and my summer place on a mountain top in the U.P....I am half way there....about as far as I will get this late in life, I think.
Breathing that fine air fresh off Lake Superior, you'll add decades to your life. Plenty of time to build another cool house down in the Keys for the winter.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Breathing that fine air fresh off Lake Superior, you'll add decades to your life. Plenty of time to build another cool house down in the Keys for the winter.
Sounds good, however reality is otherwise. The problem is I have already DID Florida when I was younger. Everyone has their bucket list, I am still working on mine....so much to do, so little time and money , ...I hope you are right !

Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yes , notice he did not show a picture of Lake Superior. The U.P. blows away almost anything in AZ. they have the Grand Canyon and the Red Rocks...thats about it, and for the most part you would not be living in these places. Most retires live in Scottsdale...lets see a picture of that.
Now comparing to the Florida keys...yes they are special, like no where else, in the extremes, just like the U.P. is, quite comparable. I could go for a winter home in key West and my summer place on a mountain top in the U.P....I am half way there....about as far as I will get this late in life, I think.
Hmmm...maybe he has never been to the U.P? I will admit I had no idea Michigan was so awesome for much of my life. Then I started actually seeing all of Michigan, and I was completely in awe of much of the beauty. I havent even seen most of the U.P yet either!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Hmmm...maybe he has never been to the U.P? I will admit I had no idea Michigan was so awesome for much of my life. Then I started actually seeing all of Michigan, and I was completely in awe of much of the beauty. I havent even seen most of the U.P yet either!
Never too early to start on YOUR bucket list ether ! lol

Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Never too early to start on YOUR bucket list ether ! lol
Lol! My bucket list is spilling over...but will be camping near the porkies for a week in July!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,536 times
Don't get me wrong, although Florida is my favorite with the Southwest being a close second.....I still think Michigan is one of the most beautiful states as well. I guess it just all comes down to personal opinion.

For what it's worth, I like the beaches and forests of rural Michigan much more than anywhere I've traveled on the East Coast (been to every state for business). The Michigan beach towns seem more natural and authentic, where as the NJ/NY coastal cities are way more commercialized and run-down (for the most part, not making a blanket statement... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan