Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,007,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squab View Post
Bud bash is a nightmare. I have a friend that lives in the immediate vicinity of it and I asked him one day how he could stand being that close to all those prying eyes, that only cared about having a grand time, even if they trashed the property of others. He said he just closed the curtains and didn't pay any attention to it. I don't know how he ignored it altogether considering the locale of his house and the Limberlost. It would drive me crazy....

A lot of sleezy stuff goes on with a lot of trashy people that are drunk on their butts. Another perfect time of the year to stock up early and hide in the house so as not to have to fight the traffic and deal with the people...

After seeing my first Bud Bash, I have vowed to never do anything involving that water. Even the town stinks. Houghton Lake is literally a ****hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM

92 posts, read 255,382 times
Smile I love michigan

I've lived in Michigan my entire life. I was born in Holland, Michigan and I plan on living in that general area hopefully for the rest of my life.

There are plenty of positives about michigan:
  • Holland (where I'm from!!) was voted as the SECOND happiest city in the entire United States! I totally believe it, too.
  • Living right next to Lake Michigan is wonderful... there's always so much to do during the summer.
  • Michigan has many beautiful places to visit, both natural and man-made. Some things to see include the Pictured Rocks near Munising on Lake Superior in the UP. The Soo Locks of Sault Ste Marie in the UP are also amazing to visit. Isle Royale in Lake Superior I heard is a beautiful island for campers and hikers to visit. Mackinac Island is a fun place to visit in the summer. There's lots of stuff to do... I've been there many, many times. Michigan is home to one of the world's longest suspension bridges (Mackinac Bridge), which connects the UP to the Lower Peninsula. Sleeping Bear Dunes and Grand Sable Dunes are beautiful and fun to visit, although I would suggest people to be in fairly good shape who dare to go all the way down to the lake and travel back up again! These are just a very few places to visit...
  • Michigan is home to many beautiful little touristy towns, including Petoskey, Marquette, Holland, Sault Ste. Marie, Traverse City, Saugatuck, and Grand Haven, to name a few.
  • Michigan is home to thousands of smaller inland lakes, making it perfect for people who love water sports, fishing, etc.
  • Michigan experiences all four seasons, which is a definite plus.
  • Let's not forget that this state is unique in that it is considered a peninsula, yet it is completely land-locked! I think that's pretty awesome.
  • Being able to point on your hand exactly where you live is pretty cool... how many states can you do that with? I don't think any of them! That's pretty unique I must say!
I could go on and on about how great this state is. Sure, it is one of the poorest states in the union. But how can you NOT love it? The people who live here are really very lucky. It is beautiful and the people are friendly. Of course, I am biased as I have lived here my entire life, but I just can't help myself!

Please come visit Michigan!!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
After seeing my first Bud Bash, I have vowed to never do anything involving that water. Even the town stinks. Houghton Lake is literally a ****hole.
I suppose this could be considered positive from scolls.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM

121 posts, read 175,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I suppose this could be considered positive from scolls.
Well, you know how some people are....They aren't happy unless they're spreading negative vibs all around. I sure would hate to step into their lives for even a day.....

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I've been in Houghton Lake often enough to detect a horrid smell as that. And I must say, NEVER has my nose came across any sort of smells other than those that come floating off of negative thinkers such as yourself.....

Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I've been in Houghton Lake often enough to detect a horrid smell as that. And I must say, NEVER has my nose came across any sort of smells other than those that come floating off of negative thinkers such as yourself.....

I lived in Roscommon for 5 years and worked in Houghton Lake and there was definitely an odor especially around summer time.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well, you know how some people are....They aren't happy unless they're spreading negative vibs all around. I sure would hate to step into their lives for even a day.....

How do I have negative vibes? I'm the only one on this forum who speaks positively of Harper Woods. See, around here you are negative if you don't have glowing wonderful thinks to say about norther Michigan. If it involves the city of Detroit, or a neighboring city than it's ok to bash them.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
I lived in Roscommon for 5 years and worked in Houghton Lake and there was definitely an odor especially around summer time.
Yea!! another positive post by scolls our resident optimist.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yea!! another positive post by scolls our resident optimist.

The town really did smell bad in the summer, especially the west end. I just call them like I see them, or in this case, smell them.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
As I said, I have never smelled any odor. Where did you work in Houghton Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan