Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM

211 posts, read 548,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I do.

When it comes to outdoor activities.
LOL...yeah, it's FREE to go outside and play!!! What do you mean by THAT??? I was referring to housing costs...I don't really want to live outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As a person who has tons of family in Michigan...not everyone works in or around Detroit. I can see wanting to leave Detroit for greener metro areas.

But the mass majority of Michigan is just rural beautiful lands, trees, lakes, etc. where people just do whatever casual jobs they do anywhere else - teachers, real estate, business owners, farmers, etc. For all of these people, with all kinds of family in the area, and everything else, why leave?
The way you just described it, that description reminds me of Finland and Latvia.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
What would you say the characteristics of a "sticky" state would be, other than the fact that more people are moving out than moving in?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What would you say the characteristics of a "sticky" state would be, other than the fact that more people are moving out than moving in?
I think "sticky" means that people are prone to stay here, love it, don't want to leave, etc. I, on the other hand, consider it a "slingshot" state...you can't get me out of here fast enough!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
There's also an issue of education. Michigan's never been a state that's valued education very much, and there's a direct correlation between level of education and increased mobility. I'm just not sure it's all an issue of people loving the place so much they never want to leave. Just being honest.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Why would you want to stay in a place you hate, though? It seems stubborn, unwilling to get out and try something new. Life is really what you make it. Sure, you can stay and settle, but that's not the kind of person I am. I've travelled everywhere and it ALL seems better than Michigan to me!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM

16 posts, read 36,606 times
The problem is that we aren`t getting true numbers,but only false data.The massmedia has never shown pictures of the state of affairs we are in or made a program about it.I don`t see that in any channel.Why???2010 is almost at the corner.It baffles me to not see any sense of responsibility,other than cover up and misinform.We have no idea of what is going on on other parts of our country.How can really say that only 50000 people have left Michigan????
We really have no independent media and the two party system will never change.Do you really know what is going on in your own state??

Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 PM

16 posts, read 36,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Why would you want to stay in a place you hate, though? It seems stubborn, unwilling to get out and try something new. Life is really what you make it. Sure, you can stay and settle, but that's not the kind of person I am. I've travelled everywhere and it ALL seems better than Michigan to me!
Everyone that stays in Michigan stays for a good reason.When that reason is gone,so are the people.Lately even Mother Nature is playing with our heads.
Meanwhile,i am trying to see where to relocate and that is why i am on this forum.These are tough times to make proper decisions.Almost every business is relocating out of Michigan.I am wondering what will happen to the big commercial properties?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:25 AM

199 posts, read 543,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeclosureCountry View Post
Almost every business is relocating out of Michigan.I am wondering what will happen to the big commercial properties?
I have a question about this. I worked for a company that had the main office in Michigan most of our paperwork had a Utah address. I have heard the Utah has good tax laws for businesses but is this even legal? As far as I know, we had no office in Utah but had an address there. I never did find out what that was all about.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Well,that 's the point. A lot of people are in the blue collar mindset of getting a job, settling down, and popping out a bunch of kids. They don't think to explore.

To your other point, what do you hate so much about Michigan? It's easily one of the most beautiful states in the country and the Great Lakes are one of the most unique natural features in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan