Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,458 times

Advertisements

I think a lot has to do with the unique culture of Michigan. Most peoples roots run deep here. I also think that the culture, and really that of the Midwest in general, values family, hard work, and a simpler life over individual achievement. Michigan is still one of the few places where "making it" means that you have a good family, a roof over your head, and a few bucks to take the family up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
I think a lot has to do with the unique culture of Michigan. Most peoples roots run deep here. I also think that the culture, and really that of the Midwest in general, values family, hard work, and a simpler life over individual achievement. Michigan is still one of the few places where "making it" means that you have a good family, a roof over your head, and a few bucks to take the family up north.
^^ read this again^^. Best post yet in this thread. Right down to the bone as to why MI is a sticky state. Economy has to have some influence, but it isn't the bank account that is the measure of a person and their true worth here.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
All of the above, and most Michiganders wouldn't know how to function without seeing their home state sport teams on their TV every weekend - UM, MSU, Pistons, Tigers, Lions and Wings.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,714,087 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Though, whether that's good or bad is a value judgment. By aspiring to what you describe, people will never be the next great innovators of new technologies or business models or whatnot that Michigan needs to diversify its economy. They will be content and perhaps happy watching the Lions and fishing and such, but I know a lot of educated, driven people leave the state to be around others who are motivated to make a difference in the world and it is creating a significant brain-drain on the state's viability.

Again, there's value to both sides, but not one side being intrinsically better.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Though, whether that's good or bad is a value judgment. By aspiring to what you describe, people will never be the next great innovators of new technologies or business models or whatnot that Michigan needs to diversify its economy. They will be content and perhaps happy watching the Lions and fishing and such, but I know a lot of educated, driven people leave the state to be around others who are motivated to make a difference in the world and it is creating a significant brain-drain on the state's viability.

Again, there's value to both sides, but not one side being intrinsically better.
The way I look at it though is that you can still be a success in business, but a failure in life. People here for the most part admire those who can be the next innovators, businessperson, etc... but only admire them IF they are ALSO a decent person who gives to their family, community, or what they believe in. We can still have the next generation of innovators and intellectual leaders, but in order to be looked on as being successful they will also have to have more than just their business. We hold people to a higher ethical standard usually, those who can't, or don't want to, reach both of those goals tend to leave.

Not saying that is right or wrong, just the way it is for most of the State. Not saying those who devote their entire lives to their jobs at the expense of family and friends are wrong, just that they don't get the kind of recognition they are looking for here.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
The overpopulated Washington D.C. area is a scumhole compared to the state of Michigan. One of the nice things about the Detroit area is that, relative to other large cities, it doesn't have a high population density.
+1000.

I lived in Northern Virginia for a year and couldn't wait to get back to Michigan. I was fortunate enough to find a much better job here and I never want to see the metro DC area again. If you're employed and can deal with the winters, Michigan is actually a pretty great place. A lot of Michigan's bad rap comes from people who have never even set foot in the state.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
^^ read this again^^. Best post yet in this thread. Right down to the bone as to why MI is a sticky state. Economy has to have some influence, but it isn't the bank account that is the measure of a person and their true worth here.

But TWO out of three is not woking for a lot of folks in Michigan right now. Losing the roof over your head and having NO money to pay the bills let alone go north, is where too many people are or will be heading soon.

Money has everything to do with survival...as someone once said--NO MONEY NO LIVING...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

You're correct, there are many people like you describe. But it's important to remember that there are also a group of extremely intelligent driven people who choose to stay in Michigan. I know both a self-made software millionaire and a very successful doctor who chose to stay here because they like the life better than the fast-paced style of NY/DC/LA. I don't think the decision has hurt them too much financially, and yes, they both like watching the Lions and spending time outdoors.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM

323 posts, read 1,132,367 times
Really interesting link, thanks to the OP.

I think people stay in Michigan because they have family there, plus in general it's a pretty good place to be. But I'd be interested in seeing the data over the next few years. A lot of people have left the state. On the other hand, I'd like to see how many of the folks who have left eventually come back. I will be coming back once I can get a decent job!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times
Quote:
Yeah, all of this is true. This is one of the reasons I LOVE Michigan. The ostentatiousness of the South, East Coast, and West really bother me, and I really prefer the down-to-earth, hard-working Midwestern values. Michigan is a great place to be. I just wish there were jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan