Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I would love to see any data that implies cold weather is not a lifestyle liability for the vast majority of people.
I was specifically referring to people who live in winter climates.

Plus, if you look at the places that consistently rank in the highest quality of life in the world, they are overwhelmingly in cold, winter climates.

Americans just got a little lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
I very much agree that the complaining about the weather is tiresome, but your comment "Detroit has 4 solid seasons, but climate change seems to be altering things" threw me for a loop. What were you referring to? Winters this decade have been snowier than average, and the past several summers have been cooler than average. But Ive done a lot of studying on the subject of climate over time in the area, and certainly there is no distinct difference between now and a hundred years ago (save for the usual variances from year to year). Some summers are hot, some are not, some winters are cold, some are not...but there is no definite trend. Certainly the CLOSEST thing to climate change we are seeing is snowier winters, but that could be just a decadal thing, as it was in the 1970s. The only thing this proves is that the old adage that grandma used to always say "winters were snowier when I was a kid" could not be further from the truth.
Yeah, the last couple seasons have been more wintery, but overall there has actually been a shift in the season. I'm not sure what climate data you've been studying, but I've worked in flora management and entire species ranges that were established for centuries are shifting due to changing climate situations. Whether it's temporary or not is for another discussion, but the winters of seasons of southern Michigan are definitely not what they used to be. Just look at how snow used to stick from December into March. Now it's very spotty with snow/melt/snow/melt (the last couple, though, have been exceptions. Maybe it'll shift back).

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,700 times
Places that rank higest quality of life do so because most are homogeneous populations with a relatively rich population -- they didn't buy into the whole diversity thing like this country. It's not the climate that's giving them the high quality of life -- and a lot of these countries even though they are in the upper latitude's don't have the same cold weather as MI due to the ocean currents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I was specifically referring to people who live in winter climates.

Plus, if you look at the places that consistently rank in the highest quality of life in the world, they are overwhelmingly in cold, winter climates.

Americans just got a little lazy.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Places that rank higest quality of life do so because most are homogeneous populations with a relatively rich population -- they didn't buy into the whole diversity thing like this country. It's not the climate that's giving them the high quality of life -- and a lot of these countries even though they are in the upper latitude's don't have the same cold weather as MI due to the ocean currents.
There are a lot of homogenous populations that don't rank high in quality of life - Japan, China, India, Korea, much of Africa, South America... heck, pretty much most of the world.

So, that's not it.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGeneral View Post
It`s too simple,but it is not convenient for the big boys.I am not a big boy ;(
What is too simple?

Old 11-28-2009, 03:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by actinic
#6 in fact in the % of people born here that stick here ...

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States, Sticky States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends (http://pewsocialtrends.org/maps/migration/stickystate.php - broken link)

Why would this be? In a state which consistently has some of the highest unemployment you would think lots of residents have moved elsewhere to find jobs.

Contrast this to the other statistic - it ranks low (#47) in the % of people who've migrated here from somewhere else. This makes perfect sense - no jobs, no in migration. Same thing happening for many mid western states.

So back to Michigan. Does the state welfare system encourage people to stay? Are so many upside down on their mortgage they can't afford to leave? Are the state's residents less educated, thus less marketable? Is it more a matter or unwillingness or inability? Or can we also say that those who live here & work here are more content to stay?
Well I would have stayed, but two years without a job offer in my degree field sent me packing. My new mission in life is to get back home.

I've met TONS of Michiganders here in North Carolina and NOT ONE of them say that they don't miss it. Many hope to move back--if not to Michigan, then somewhere else in the Upper Midwest.

North Carolina's fantastic, but I do miss home, even if it is cloudy, the economy sucks and you get a foot of snow on the ground. It's still home. Besides, I never minded winter anyway.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've met TONS of Michiganders here in North Carolina and NOT ONE of them say that they don't miss it. Many hope to move back--if not to Michigan, then somewhere else in the Upper Midwest.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Mackinac81, I know how you feel. I'm no longer a resident of Michigan. I now call Duluth, GA my home. I really want to get back to Michigan, or find a job in Alaska. I really don't like the south.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,425 times
flyingwriter,

What is it about the south that you don't like?

Old 11-28-2009, 10:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
flyingwriter,

What is it about the south that you don't like?
I could make a long list of things I hate about the south, but for the sake of brevity I'll say because it's not Michigan. It is the antithesis of Michigan. Geographically, culturally, politically, and climactically it is vastly different, and not something that suits me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan