Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times

Advertisements

Browsing through the Vegas forums, I get the sense that a lot of people have moved from Michigan to Nevada. It seems that the Southwest (esp NV and AZ) tend to attract quite a few people originally from the Midwest. I noticed a lot of ex-Michigan and ex-Ohio residents moving to Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally posted by SchnauzerMom
We left the burbs of Detroit in 1993 after I had a horrible experience. There are things I miss about it, but all in all, we made the right choice. Since leaving Michigan we have lived in southern Ohio (within 40 miles of KY), WV and have come back to extreme eastern Kentucky. The hills are so pretty, the weather is WAY better than SE Michigan, very little crime even with the economy the way it is...and our taxes are VERY low. For a 1600 sq foot home on 3/4 acre with 2 decks and 2 outbuildings we only pay $400 a year in property taxes. Can't beat that! If you are interested in Southern OH, it is wonderful. We had a 40 acre farm there but hubby had a heart attack that really did him in for taking care of a place like that. The taxes there are cheap depending where you are, very little traffic, very little crime and some totally wonderful people. I do not recommend that part of WV I was in. The older neighbors were wonderful, but then an undesirable element started moving in with crack and you know happens with that stuff. Best of luck in your search for a new home! If you would like to know more about these areas, please feel free to let me know.
Southern Ohio is beautiful! I'm not a rural type guy, but driving through it was great to look at.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times
We moved to NOrth Carolina last summer because my husband got a job in Virginia. I 'm not sure how many people from MIchigan are here because this area is a lot military. I hate it and hope to move somewhere else soon.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Southern Ohio is beautiful! I'm not a rural type guy, but driving through it was great to look at.
A great part of the country...I would consider working in Cincinnatti and living in Kentucky.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,510 times
Southwest Florida + Tampa Bay both have a lot of MI transplants. And it's not just retirees anymore either, I know quite a few MI people going to the universities here in Florida.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM

90 posts, read 272,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
Saw the train wreck coming and went to North Texas (DFW metroplex) in June of 07. Sold the house in Michigan in 2 weeks before the bottom started falling out. I had a job lined up here before moving. We were very fortunate in this regard (had job, sold old house before moving).
We miss Michigan friends and family a lot. We like Texas. We like the mild winters. Summers don't bother us too much. Spring and fall are very nice. The 2 teenage kids love it here. We even found some other Michigan expats to play euchre with.

Good luck
Yes, I lived there (Arlington Texas) in the 1980's and loved it, but the prop. taxes are high for home owners. I also don't like the motor vehicle safety inspections that Texas has- other than that the climate is great. Fort Worth has a great jogging/Bike trail along the Trinity River. Tulsa, Oklahoma is a nice city too with a low cost of living and it's warmer than Michigan. Both areas have lakes. Texas has no state income tax. If your moving I'd go to a warm city, cold weather is the pitts. I'll take Texas over FL any day.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM

19 posts, read 95,446 times
Well, I just moved back to Michigan from Boca Raton, Florida... which is the reverse of your question, but still I might offer some insight.

I grew up in Michigan, attended the Univ. of Michigan in Ann Arbor, then moved directly to Chicago. A job prospect brought me to Florida. Didn't want to leave Chicago at the time.

Turns out that I loved the Boca area. I was able to make friends, and find my own "niche" among the population. Boca is a wealthy area but also a college town. It's beautiful -- not as exciting/active as Chicago, but the Boca beach is amazing and the city maintenance is great. Plus great shopping, decent (but expensive) dining, many hospitals, close to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and easy weekend road trips to Disney or the Keys.

Believe it or not I recently got a great job offer in Michigan, hence my move back to this state. But Florida grew on me so much so that I'd like to move back. I love the outdoors (hiking, biking, swimming, running, triathlons, tennis, grilling out, beaches, etc.) and in Florida, I could enjoy it all year-round.

Specifically, my experience in Boca Raton was a great one. I recommend the area. A note: there are a lot of people from New York in the area, many retirees, and many people with at LOT of money!! But also lots of young families, college students, and broke-n-happy surf bums (probably lots of rich-n-happy surf bums too...!). I saw plenty of Michigan license plates (but more in Naples). Just things to consider!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 8,479 times
Hi all of you in Michigan. I moved from Port Huron in 1983 to Amarillo Texas. Was fresh out of high school and no job prospects. Lived in Texas until 2006. Summer heat and drout was realy getting to us. We moved to Fairbanks, Alaska in 2006. LOVE IT!!!! Lots to do in the winter as long as you dress for the cold. Summers are just as nice. After having -60 winters the +50's are like a heat wave. Stuff actually melts at -30 after being at -60 for a month. Interesting to see. This winter I am going to try something a friend at work said he did last winter. He took a bottle of bubbles outside and blew them. The bubble froze like a Christmas tree ornament. GOTTA TRY IT!! In the past 2 weeks we have seen wolf, fox and a butt load of moose. Moose here are like dear to yall. You see plenty of them until hunting season rolls around. Through the winter we had moose living on the property. Country living here is just that. It took all winter to accumualte about 3 feet of snow and only two weeks for it to melt. WOOHOO! We have been back to Michigan quite a few times over the years. Michigan is very beautiful but that don't pay the bills. We have a lot of family still living in St. Clair area.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Phoenix and Tucson are nice places if you like warm to hot and no changeing of the seasons. You go from warm to hot weather (dry). I spent a month there with my sister when I graduated high school. I liked it there but not well enough to live there. i have an Aunt and Uncle in Tucson that have been there for many years. They are also from St. Clair, Michigan.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 AM

That is so true. We moved to Texas in 1983. We actualy made friends with a couple that knew how to play uchre and canasta. Took 9 years to find them but we did. Dominos was the big thing in Texas.

Last edited by Jean Harm; 05-16-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan