Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,963,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Ahhh...methinks its the finnish mixing with the indians that caused that streak of blonde here and there. lol.

The place has a physical description that SOUNDS like Finland...I can see why they would like it there...

Interesting the connections you find in each part of the U.S. to the roots in foreign lands and the history that made the place the way it is today...one country with several different worlds going on at once...

How did you end up there?
Came as a tourist 30 years ago , camping , four wheeling , and sight seeing. Just fell in love with the place. It took those 30 years to get down my long list, by trying just about everywhere in North America.... Now , I am building my retirement cottage over looking Lake Superior from a mountaintop, and , writing my memoirs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
MGD

122 posts, read 290,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Came as a tourist 30 years ago , camping , four wheeling , and sight seeing. Just fell in love with the place. It took those 30 years to get down my long list, by trying just about everywhere in North America.... Now , I am building my retirement cottage over looking Lake Superior from a mountaintop, and , writing my memoirs...
You're interesting. I can't think of too many people who pick a frozen area as their one true love. lol.

Where are you originally from?

And what do people do for employment in a place that has 1% of the population and half the state's land?

What do the young people do for fun?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
You're interesting. I can't think of too many people who pick a frozen area as their one true love. lol.

Where are you originally from?

And what do people do for employment in a place that has 1% of the population and half the state's land?

What do the young people do for fun?
Its not frozen all year. Summers are very nice about 60-70 degrees F. Great for swimming in Lake Superior , when on occasion it gets hot , say 80. The beaches are great. Surfing goes on all winter and summer. ( wet suit in winter ). We have 10,000 college students , only 3 blocks from the surf , so on any day the shore is active year round. Many bike trails through out the city , Mountain biking is also a big sport. Downhill skiing at Marquette Mountain every day from Nov. to April. many runs , mostly a natural power base. Dog sled races last week-end , had 10,000 visitors from all over . Lots of Hockey rinks , Curling , and the usual summer sports. Snow machine trails are hot now , lots of sport and racing events. In summer the trails are used for hiking . Fall is hunting season for deer , moose , and bear. Sport fishing year round . Winter ice fishing with little shacks all over the lakes. Ice skating also popular. cross country ski events and trails are everywhere outside of town. Everyone owns snowshoes , as the snow gets to deep to walk in the woods in winter.

The Iron Mines are the largest employer. Then its the medical complexes , and , the University. We Do have a Starbucks. , 2 in fact.

I started out on the farm in Iowa , long ago, and , then followed the yellow brick road where ever it took me.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,963,096 times
One of my best friends grew up there and has a lot of family still there. She lives in UT now, but most of her family works at the prison-some as guards, one is a phys. ed coordinator there and let me tell you-she is a peanut! I think I might be a little worried about that. Although, she said most of the inmates are fine and don't want to lose their phys. ed privileges.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
MGD

Quote:
Its not frozen all year. Summers are very nice about 60-70 degrees F. Great for swimming in Lake Superior , when on occasion it gets hot , say 80. The beaches are great. Surfing goes on all winter and summer. ( wet suit in winter ). We have 10,000 college students , only 3 blocks from the surf , so on any day the shore is active year round. Many bike trails through out the city , Mountain biking is also a big sport. Downhill skiing at Marquette Mountain every day from Nov. to April. many runs , mostly a natural power base. Dog sled races last week-end , had 10,000 visitors from all over . Lots of Hockey rinks , Curling , and the usual summer sports. Snow machine trails are hot now , lots of sport and racing events. In summer the trails are used for hiking . Fall is hunting season for deer , moose , and bear. Sport fishing year round . Winter ice fishing with little shacks all over the lakes. Ice skating also popular. cross country ski events and trails are everywhere outside of town. Everyone owns snowshoes , as the snow gets to deep to walk in the woods in winter.

The Iron Mines are the largest employer. Then its the medical complexes , and , the University. We Do have a Starbucks. , 2 in fact.

I started out on the farm in Iowa , long ago, and , then followed the yellow brick road where ever it took me.
Man that sound nearly as busy as New York, lol!

What college is that?

2 starbucks? I'm sold...starbucks is turning into mcdonald's now...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Man that sound nearly as busy as New York, lol!

What college is that?

2 starbucks? I'm sold...starbucks is turning into mcdonald's now...
Northern Michigan University. very nice campus. We have lots of cultural activities, theater , fine dining , ( A great New Orleans style place ) . Pubs , entertainment , bands , concerts in the park all summer, food feasts . Home made Italian places , and all the usual franchises. The founder of Starbucks went to NMU , so , the smaller Starbucks is on Campus. Our local famous food is the pastie , a baked turnover filled with meat, rutabagas , and other veges. A tradition brought over by the Cornish miners who worked in the copper mines. very tasty.. Thimble berry jam , ( a large berry only grown at this latitude around the world ). large amounts of local Ice cream is sold , year round by the dairy. farmers market every week end in summer , organic farmers , old hippies , and just great times . No crime , just friendly folks , everyone is your friend. The harbor is full of boats in the summer and fall., both power and sail. fresh water fish at the pier vendor daily. Co ops , people carry their own shopping bags , and get a discount for doing so. Lots of environmentally aware people , and , very liberal.... and , when you want a mid-winter break , its just 45 min. to Chicago from our International airport.
The big ore boats come in every day from all over. They bring in coal and return with iron ore pallets. We also have hydro power. very low electric rates. rents are very reasonable , wages are good , jobs are scarce, unless you are into medical......... you must know a bit about it all now , and , I do not embellish , you have to visit , to see for yourself.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
MGD

Quote:
Northern Michigan University. very nice campus. We have lots of cultural activities, theater , fine dining , ( A great New Orleans style place ) . Pubs , entertainment , bands , concerts in the park all summer, food feasts . Home made Italian places , and all the usual franchises. The founder of Starbucks went to NMU , so , the smaller Starbucks is on Campus. Our local famous food is the pastie , a baked turnover filled with meat, rutabagas , and other veges. A tradition brought over by the Cornish miners who worked in the copper mines. very tasty.. Thimble berry jam , ( a large berry only grown at this latitude around the world ). large amounts of local Ice cream is sold , year round by the dairy. farmers market every week end in summer , organic farmers , old hippies , and just great times . No crime , just friendly folks , everyone is your friend. The harbor is full of boats in the summer and fall., both power and sail. fresh water fish at the pier vendor daily. Co ops , people carry their own shopping bags , and get a discount for doing so. Lots of environmentally aware people , and , very liberal.... and , when you want a mid-winter break , its just 45 min. to Chicago from our International airport.
The big ore boats come in every day from all over. They bring in coal and return with iron ore pallets. We also have hydro power. very low electric rates. rents are very reasonable , wages are good , jobs are scarce, unless you are into medical......... you must know a bit about it all now , and , I do not embellish , you have to visit , to see for yourself.
It sounds nice, and they should hire you as a tourist board director, lol.

I'll visit the UP when I'm done with school or get a vehicle of my own again...or maybe I'll get lucky and a friend will take me...

Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,786,334 times
Quote:
FORTY degrees is a THAW to you? what the....

Ok so just where in northern michigan counts as the UP?
Are you kidding? I went to the mailbox the other day and everyone around me was wearing light sweaters; I realized that I was much too hot in my parka and took it off. It was 25 degrees. When it hits 40 in Michigan, the 'streakers' come out.

Michigan is 2 peninsulas connected by the Mackinac Bridge. The Lower Peninsula or "flatlands" are the mitten-looking part sitting on Ohio and Inidiana. The Upper Peninsula or UP is the prong coming off the top of Wisconsin.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Are you kidding? I went to the mailbox the other day and everyone around me was wearing light sweaters; I realized that I was much too hot in my parka and took it off. It was 25 degrees. When it hits 40 in Michigan, the 'streakers' come out.

Michigan is 2 peninsulas connected by the Mackinac Bridge. The Lower Peninsula or "flatlands" are the mitten-looking part sitting on Ohio and Inidiana. The Upper Peninsula or UP is the prong coming off the top of Wisconsin.
You are correct. At about 25 F my down parka no longer becomes useful. I always wear a hooded sweatshirt under , for those days above 25. At 40 F , well , tee shirts are more comfortable.

Today , a different story however.... Marquette County is under blizzard conditions. Sustained winds above 35 MPH , blowing snow , white outs , Route 28 going east is closed. All schools are closed. Travel is not recommended.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
MGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

No I'm dead serious, but you HAVE to be joking! I'm in a sweater and something under it, even a tank top, at 40 degrees. 50 is sweater temperature, and depending on the breeze, so is 60!

But I do remember days in the DC area where I thought shorts were okay in 55/60 degrees ...so i think it's just what your body adjusts to. However, I know for a fact my body will never find temperatures a stone's throw from FREEZING to be nice and warm!

I think all I have noticed of Michigan is the mitten part...the UP must be WAY up there...

Quote:
You are correct. At about 25 F my down parka no longer becomes useful. I always wear a hooded sweatshirt under , for those days above 25. At 40 F , well , tee shirts are more comfortable.

Today , a different story however.... Marquette County is under blizzard conditions. Sustained winds above 35 MPH , blowing snow , white outs , Route 28 going east is closed. All schools are closed. Travel is not recommended.
White out...is that the same as a blackout, if not, what is it?

I feel like I need a dictionary for snowbelt slang...

You would die in Florida...if 40 is teeshirt weather...down here you'd vaporize comes summer...lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan