Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM

26 posts, read 68,657 times

Advertisements

I just moved to East Lansing and quite happy with the weather so far. Really heard some terrible stories about the winter in Michigan. I am wondering how bad it really becomes in the winter? I am working in MSU and wondering if I really need to be close to the campus because of the winter conditions. How realistic it is to live in say Williamston, Holt, Mason etc considering the fact that I come from a state with only a few days of snow. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
I've lived in Michigan my whole life, so I'm kinda used to winters. I live about 30 miles East of Lansing, and I have to say on a scale of 1-10 our winters around here would be about a 3-4. This winter is not at all typical. Its been way above avg. temps and below avg. snowfall. Enjoy it because it could change at any time...but I doubt it will get too bad the rest of the winter.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
There are very few places in the lower 48 where winter is that unmanageable if you plan for it. There is no doubt that this winter is hardly a winter at all, in fact I would dare say the mildest easiest winter in at least 20 years. In the Lansing area during most winters you would have had alot of small snow events (2-3 inch storms) and several major storms (6-12 inch) storms and in some years really serious events like last year where blizzard conditions occure. I believe the Lansing area recieves around 50 inches annually. This year may not even see 20 inches. Most years by now there have been several arctic blasts which drop the temps below zero overnight as well. Weve had a winter like youd expect in southern Indiana not here in Michigan. Even in northern Michigan snow is hard to come by unless you are right off the lake, I was in Alpena this weekend and they have NOTHING. Even if we get a real winter next year I wouldnt say you need to be close to campus unless you are afraid of winter driving conditions. Fear is your worst enemy on icy roads, as long as you keep calm and drive carefully you will do fine. The towns you listed are not that far out of Lansing anyway, so commuting is not going to be that bad. Williamston is a real nice town down there, of the ones you listed I like that one the best.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM

214 posts, read 673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrall View Post
I just moved to East Lansing and quite happy with the weather so far. Really heard some terrible stories about the winter in Michigan. I am wondering how bad it really becomes in the winter? I am working in MSU and wondering if I really need to be close to the campus because of the winter conditions. How realistic it is to live in say Williamston, Holt, Mason etc considering the fact that I come from a state with only a few days of snow. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
I think a lot depends on where you're coming from. If you're coming from another Northern city, the weather isn't going to be too much different. We don't get a ton of lake effect snow this far east of Lake Michigan, and we tend to be 1-3 degrees colder than Detroit.

Snowfall can be heavy, but the roads are usually only bad if it starts at night for the morning commute. We have the infrastructure in place to clean the roads up pretty quickly.

If you're moving from a Southern location with a milder climate, it is MUCH colder than you're used to, and usually Feb is the worst with single digit temps and arctic blast winds. The good news is that we don't tend to get a ton of ice, which is more common in the Southern states during winter. It also takes much longer to get into spring. It's not uncommon for it to stay cool until May or June.

Honestly, I moved here from the south, and the winters stink, and it's always gray, but if you plan ahead, take it slow with bad roads, and understand the reality of our winters, you'll be fine.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 AM

118 posts, read 284,006 times
Winter's aren't too terrible.. there are occasional big snow storms, but it's not too bad... You can live further out as most major roads will be cleared fairly quickly, but plan to add considerable time to your commute when a storm is brewing and the campus isn't closed.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Keep your activities in the cities. Counties are sometime slow in clearing their roads during winter storms (from my experience in Allegan County).

Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 PM

27 posts, read 109,762 times
I think that unless you're living WAY out in the sticks, you're going to be fine. I lived in Williamston for two years (on quite a rural road), and there was only one time ever that I wasn't able to make it to work (downtown Lansing). I've lived in Holt for nine years now (subdivision) and NEVER been snowed in.

I've found that Ingham County is pretty good about clearing the roads promptly.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
It depends on your own personal tolerance for cold, snow, and gray skies. Sometimes more than actual snow it can be the lack of sun that do people in.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
East Michigan is quite simple and doesn't get near the amount of snow that West Michigan gets, which doesn't compare to the UP.

We get more snow than most other states and it is probably colder than most states, but hey it isn't that bad. It takes a little while to get used to driving in the snow, but after you get used to it it is second nature. You can be fishtailing on the highway going 55mph and your heart rate won't even rise :P

I do say that you'll get used to it, but that is as long as you aren't part of the 85% of Michigan drivers who appear to have never seen a snowflake in their lives, and forget how to drive in it every year.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
I do not tolerate the dark grey well at all. Michiana was enough for me. If it is winter I much prefer snow on the ground with a plurality of clear days. Snow and sun is a good combination for me. This winter has been pitiful and drab due to the lack of snow. I haven't been pleased and I live in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan