Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

So when y'all were talking about April winter and May winter, could you give me a rough idea of how MANY winters we might expect in April and May? I need to stop giving my girls a spa day, every time I comb out all that shedding hair we get another version of winter.

I'm getting the guilts something awful. My poor ponies...

I'm guessing you just can't assume winter is gone until it's gone, eh? Like July? August? Just in time for fall. :P

Ugh. I was ready for rain, but I wasn't expecting snow... It's going to take my pea brain a little while for this to sink in.... I'm a Scout Mom, I'll get it down. Eventually!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Most years down there you can expect winter to be completley done by May 1st. A lot of years by mid-April. Some years by the beginning of April.

Old Man Winter is just being ornery this year.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I'm getting snow, ice and thunder over my house. You can get snow in May although it's not going to be anything that sticks for very long. However, be prepared for cold temps in May with it going below freezing overnight at any time during the month.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Well, I live in the extreme southern portion of the state, but normally April is nothing like this here. Last April was much warmer and greener. Right now, the only thing green is most of the grass. Where are the leaves????

Anyway, yeah, this "spring" is very abnormal, at least in my part of the state. My dd's birthday is in a couple of days, and most years it is reasonably sunny and green by then with temps in the mid-50s to low 60s, although like Luzette pointed out, the temps drop much lower than that overnight for well into May. I guess I will console myself with the fact that we don't have palmetto bugs and swarms of tourists and transplants from the Northeast coming here and telling us how our state "should be", lol.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Thunder, rain, gloomy and 36 degrees this morning.

This weekend is supposed to be clear and warmer...I hope the forecast is correct! My poor dogs are getting stir-crazy without their normal long walks and I am itching to get started on some serious yard work.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
April winter is lamsot over. May Winter will start shortly.

Normally it is warmer, but you know. . . Global warming and all. . ..

Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Next week so far looks great. 80 degrees by Tuesday!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 AM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
I tried to tell you several weeks ago winter was not over yet. I have in my weather journal of 4 inches of snow in June about 1961 or so in Evart.
I have recorded a week of snow and sleet the first week of May here in the thumb 2001.

Spring will come when mother nature stops trying to drive father time crazy.

80F in May is to early for that crap. 75F should be tops for May and June, the 80's can come in mid to late July and August be gone by Labor day.

Al

Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post

80F in May is to early for that crap. 75F should be tops for May and June, the 80's can come in mid to late July and August be gone by Labor day.

Al
That would be my version of the perfect Spring/Summer!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
Between last night and today, we are getting more snow in one storm than we have gotten for the last few months. I did wish for some snow back then, when it wouldn't have been like wet concrete. Guess I got a late wish.

Even last year, as nice as it was in late May and through most of the summer, we still got a dumping of a few inches of snow on the ground in the first half of May. I can think of more times than not when we have had at least some new snowfall in the first half of May.

In 2009 it was cold enough most of the year to snow. Even July had several days in the 40s and nights below freezing. I wonder if there was at least some new snow in the UP. One day in August my windshield was covered not with frost, but with a layer of thick ice that I had to chip off.

I remember one year in particular when I was kid, all the snow had gone sometime in the spring, then overnight a blizzard whipped in and dumped a couple feet. The John Deere tractor snowblower was completely drifted in and covered, and was parked behind the house because the snow had been gone. Including getting the tractor to the driveway to snowblow, it took pretty much all day.

My father in law owns some backwoods property between Gaylord and Grayling and said when he was there about a week and a half ago, the snow was still up to his knees in places and he just about got the 4x4 truck stuck. Bet there's a lot more there now. Places like that snow can easily remain till June. I wonder if there are places in the UP that never become free of snow.

It is supposed to be warmer next week, should be more like 60 here, but the rain and wind is supposed to keep going.

When the snow goes away for awhile and it's still early, I see people dewinterizing cabins and campers, junking their winter beaters and taking out their classic summer rides, taking out boats, planting gardens, starting house projects.... and I just shake my head because I know better. Sometimes they get lucky, but more often than not, mother nature is going to turn on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan