Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:57 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA_Mom View Post
It's so crazy, because on here I state several facts in a sentence and I am labeled as pulling the "race card." After I got this ticket I talked to an attorney in the firm I work, who is a white male, and he just came and said it probably happened because I'm black. I NEVER even alluded to this
Umm, what? One, you cant just say you received a ticket because of your race. Two, my profession is law enforcement. Attorney saying you received it because you are black is just looking to get your emotions high so he can make some money from your pointless lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:09 PM

21 posts, read 83,302 times
bydand: Just like you admit that you have then you'd also have to admit that sometimes those preconceived notions affect our treatment of other individuals who may fit that same/similiar description. Yes, I agree some part of it is human nature, but sometimes those views and preconceived notions are negative and unwarranted and can turn into stereotypes. That's all I mean. Before I started working for lawyers I always had this preconceived notion in my mind of what an attorney "was." Needless to say I was wrong; yeah, there may be some who fit the stereotypical view, but there are a lot of others that don't.

I apologize for the mix up in what you were trying to say, but let's be clear there was no condescending attitude towards no one on this post. You think and feel the way you do because of your life experiences as do I. We are all adults and can choose to agree or disagree with something being said. I am a law student at heart so please don't be confused when I argue my point. This is what I like to do and it is my passion in life. I am on the national oral debate team at my school to put in into perspective for you. I like to have mature debates to see different view points and strategize how to argue against it. It's nothing personal against you, driller1, or any other posters, it just makes me a better advocate. This is the about the best practice I've ever had. So, when I graduate I have you to thank for contributing to my success! Go figure

Old 11-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Burtbees: He was just saying "in his experience" that is what he felt the reason was. I didn't say that was the sole reason or any reason at all why I got it. Also, you can say that something was racially motivated. I had an assignment from an attorney that was based on a racial profiling suit and in doing the case research there have been suits against police departments for this in Michigan. Now, it is VERY hard to prove, but it is possible especially in the areas of search and seizure without a warrant and probable cause when pulling someone over.

Truth be told none of us know what that officer was thinking that night. Everything is mere speculation. Just like you make comments based on your experiences that is what he was doing. Just like I told "and the", people in law enforcement are by far dedicated and committed to what they do, but there are some that are not or who have ill intentions. You have run across people like this as well as me. I understand that law enforcement are not fond of attorneys and that's fine, but burtsbees there is no money to be made on me. You read me state SEVERAL times that I am a law student. WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!!!! LOL. Law students are broke!! He's not even representing me. We're going before the magistrate, as you should know. I would only need an attorney if I appealed it to the District Court which is very slim b/c I have final exams and am about to have a baby pretty soon. I don't have the time for that. He was just giving his opinion like you're giving yours

Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
BurtsBess: I do thank you for your reply to my post. I think you know very well what I mean. Certain cars are admittedly cop magnets. I think this is common knowledge especially considering the plates as well. Me being a law student is just a fact like ALL the other facts I stated. Bragging would have been me alluding to something like this "and I'm a law student and I am so much better than..." I am proud to be in law school because I have worked very hard to get where I am in life just like you, but lets not confuse the two things.
I'm not sure what profession you're in, but this is what I have dealt with before. It's so crazy, because on here I state several facts in a sentence and I am labeled as pulling the "race card." After I got this ticket I talked to an attorney in the firm I work, who is a white male, and he just came and said it probably happened because I'm black. I NEVER even alluded to this; I was focusing on my car as being the reason.To be honest, that kind of blew my mind because I've never really heard a white male tell me that something happened to be because I'm black, or anybody for that matter. He also told me that the city I was pulled over in has a KNOWN reputation for this. It didn't make me happy when he said this b/c my thoughts don't automatically default to racism when I experience negative things. Now, here I merely responded to an original post by small coin to let him/her know that they were not alone.
I am new to this cite, but I assumed everyone on here was from planet earth. I'm sure we have all been treated one way or another, whether it be positive or negative, because of something. It could be age, sexual orientation, weight, sex, race, religious preference, etc. This is true no matter what race you are. Try to look at the bigger picture of what I'm saying. Even considering something like what's going on in CA with Proposal 8. How many gay/lesbian people do you think have probably been discriminated against because of that one fact? Probably a lot. The point is that this happens. Do we use it as a crutch and give up? Absolutely not, but sometimes we have to acknowledge it.
I would like if everyone could have an open mind and not just focus on the one fact that I stated. My post was not bragging, whining, or looking for sympathy. I was merely offering support to a previous poster and looking for others who maybe have been subject to the same thing. My goal was to meet others, like myself, who have been pulled over by a police officer for following HIM too closely. I understand and agree that yes it is wrong to follow motorist too closely; something I have admittedly done. The point is that this was not just your average motorist this was a cop I was behind. Maybe if you focus on that one fact you will understand my frustration. Who is their right mind would follow a cop too close? I'd venture to say nobody. Most people if anything try to stay as far back as possible or get over if they can. So, if anyone has experienced what I've experienced and would like to offer tips on how they fought the ticket, if applicable, then please do so. All others, don't bother replying if you just want to bash me. That's not why I'm here. I respect the fact that everyone won't agree with me and I am always willing to be the bigger person and say "lets agree to disagree." Thank you
"Who in their right mind would follow a cop to close?".
LOL Are you going to try the insanity defense too????? LOL BTW, do not thank me. I could not live on an attorney's wage. So, I would not encourage you to try.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Burtbees: He was just saying "in his experience" that is what he felt the reason was. I didn't say that was the sole reason or any reason at all why I got it. Also, you can say that something was racially motivated. I had an assignment from an attorney that was based on a racial profiling suit and in doing the case research there have been suits against police departments for this in Michigan. Now, it is VERY hard to prove, but it is possible especially in the areas of search and seizure without a warrant and probable cause when pulling someone over.

Truth be told none of us know what that officer was thinking that night. Everything is mere speculation. Just like you make comments based on your experiences that is what he was doing. Just like I told "and the", people in law enforcement are by far dedicated and committed to what they do, but there are some that are not or who have ill intentions. You have run across people like this as well as me. I understand that law enforcement are not fond of attorneys and that's fine, but burtsbees there is no money to be made on me. You read me state SEVERAL times that I am a law student. WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!!!! LOL. Law students are broke!! He's not even representing me. We're going before the magistrate, as you should know. I would only need an attorney if I appealed it to the District Court which is very slim b/c I have final exams and am about to have a baby pretty soon. I don't have the time for that. He was just giving his opinion like you're giving yours
The attorney is not posting. You are. Hearsay??? Same on you.....

Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Driller1: I do thank you. And just a note, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results. So, me saying it's insane, as a figure of speech, just means that I don't think any reasonable person would do it. My defense is the truth. Sometimes it wins and others it doesn't. I'm not going to trial for murder so pleading insanity isn't really applicable here, but thanks again Driller1.

And yes, I realize the attorney is not posting and that I am, but it was a point that's all. I feel like I'm on trial here trying to admit "hearsay" as you say...lol

Driller1 you don't have to be bitter with me we're on the same team. You love dogs, SO DO I...LOL I realize that on sites like this people "feel" they are anonymous and can express their true feelings regarding others. That's fine, but you and I are not against one another. Like I told another poster, this is like experience to me b/c as an oral advocate you are always going to have someone who opposes you and it helps to gain experience on how to develop sound arguments. The whole point of the post was to find others who have gotten a ticket for this and fought it. Point blank.

So, if I shouldn't live on attorneys wage, maybe I can drop on application in with you and come be a driller? I prefer working with mostly guys anyway... LOL. Just j/k. We do what we are passionate about in life. You working in a male dominated field probably wasn't a piece of cake, but I'm guessing that you do it b/c you enjoy it. It's no different with me. I do thank you for your concern though, but I also have a Masters in Business Administration so there is something to fall back on.

You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving Driller1

Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 AM

I am not very "anonymous" at all. If you click on my equipment pictures, you will see two of my phone numbers. You are the one that posted this site was good to practice your debating. What is the problem??? You can dish it out but, not take it??? Business Administration can be BIG debates and with much higher stakes.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 AM

BTW, "always be closing" won't work with me.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 AM

Driller1: I can definitely take it baby...lol I welcome all of your comments and feedback. Why do you think I keep coming back for more? It would just be easier to not post on this site anymore, but I like this type of "healthy debating." It doesn't bother me if you want to take all your hatred out on me. I'm fine with it

You didn't answer my question though. Obviously you are in a field where you do pretty well and is better than the law and having an MBA. So, driller1 maybe I can come work for you. I like to get my hands dirty...lol What do you say? I think we would make a great team. We're both no-nosense women. Come on....lol I've never been to Rhodes Michigan, but I'm willing to take a road trip. Come on, whose with me? lol

Don't keep me waiting...I'm dying to see what you have to say hon

Old 11-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Driller1: I can definitely take it baby...lol I welcome all of your comments and feedback. Why do you think I keep coming back for more? It would just be easier to not post on this site anymore, but I like this type of "healthy debating." It doesn't bother me if you want to take all your hatred out on me. I'm fine with it

You didn't answer my question though. Obviously you are in a field where you do pretty well and is better than the law and having an MBA. So, driller1 maybe I can come work for you. I like to get my hands dirty...lol What do you say? I think we would make a great team. We're both no-nosense women. Come on....lol I've never been to Rhodes Michigan, but I'm willing to take a road trip. Come on, whose with me? lol

Don't keep me waiting...I'm dying to see what you have to say hon
I have the tea pot on......It just won't be your hand though, I come home at night with about 10 pounds of mud on me. LOL We don't drill in the winter. I think we have some mutual friends. I will PM you with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan