Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM

21 posts, read 83,302 times

Advertisements

Driller 1: I don't play the race card; I just merely listed the facts and you chose in to hone in on that ONE particular fact when I listed several others. To be quite honest I think it was probably my car and the personalized plates that were the biggest factors. At the firm where I work you see these things and as much as I hate it to admit there are some people that cannot see past race. If you were being honest with yourself you'd admit that you know as well as I do that you've met people like this before. I am not saying that this is the ONLY reason this happened I just stated things as they are. It could have been the car, the plates, or a combination of several factors. I guess I just wonder why out of everything I said that one word was bothersome to you.

mkfarnam: Thanks for the advice. An attorney where I work advised me that I will be given time to speak and to just state the facts as they occurred. Hopefully it'll work, but like a previous post said the judges are obviously more inclined to believe the officer, but if nothing else at least I can get the points taken dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA_Mom View Post
Driller 1: I don't play the race card; I just merely listed the facts and you chose in to hone in on that ONE particular fact when I listed several others. To be quite honest I think it was probably my car and the personalized plates that were the biggest factors. At the firm where I work you see these things and as much as I hate it to admit there are some people that cannot see past race. If you were being honest with yourself you'd admit that you know as well as I do that you've met people like this before. I am not saying that this is the ONLY reason this happened I just stated things as they are. It could have been the car, the plates, or a combination of several factors. I guess I just wonder why out of everything I said that one word was bothersome to you.

mkfarnam: Thanks for the advice. An attorney where I work advised me that I will be given time to speak and to just state the facts as they occurred. Hopefully it'll work, but like a previous post said the judges are obviously more inclined to believe the officer, but if nothing else at least I can get the points taken dropped.
Just tried the race whining. That is why.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 PM

36 posts, read 105,891 times
It's up to you, but if they offered a no points/fine only deal, you may want to reconsider going to the hearing. All judges are different; all judges have good and bad days. If, after hearing testimony from you and the officer, you are found responsible for the civil infraction, you will be assessed points and the fine. The points will raise you insurance rates (assuming they run your record at renewal and absent a forgiveness promo). Some judges, before they rule against you, will ask "are you sure you don't want to take the plea?" Others don't offer the plea. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Driller 1: I guess I can't be mad at you. It just proves the ignorance that plagues this great country. You've probably done the same thing so naturally you are defensive and quick to characterize my statements as whining. That's okay honey. That's the great thing about being American, we are each entitled to our own thoughts and opinions no matter how idiotic or unfounded. Have a great day and a WONDERFUL holiday darling

Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Ishten: Thanks for the advice. If all else fails I want to walk away with no points b/c like you said I don't want to risk having my auto insurance raised. One of the attys here said I'll probably go before a magistrate and they will listen to each side and then decide. If I don't like the ruling I can appeal it up to the district court. I don't want to waste huge amounts of time on this though so if it doesn't seem like I have a shot then I'll just take the fine with no points. Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Driller 1: I don't play the race card;
Actually you did. If I got a ticket I know for a fact I wouldn't include the "single" fact that I an a white male. You DID play it.

Quote:
It just proves the ignorance that plagues this great country. That's the great thing about being American, we are each entitled to our own thoughts and opinions no matter how idiotic or unfounded.
I agree with the above (I cut out the childish remarks, and just left the important parts.), and you bringing up your race and gender and then jumping all over another poster when they call you on it is small and idiotic. I fail to see how jumping into a condescending and confrontational mode in your posts is going to win anybody over into thinking you are innocent here. To call another poster Ignorant because she so happens to catch your subtle innuendo that this was a racially motivated stop and ticket is foolish. I would bet this is the same attitude you pulled out when the cop stopped you.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:

If you didn't play it, who did??? It is out there.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
Quote:

The Officer won't be there. Don's use excuses just accept it. After 38years driving with a clean record ,I received my first ticket. I told the judge that my diving record will show that I'm not prone to traffic violation and that I ask for leniency. The fine was knock from 300.00 to 89.00.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcoin View Post
to be completly honest I cant tell you at this time how close I was because I cant look back now and determine a distance because if you dont think your doing anything wrong you dont drive down the road and measure, I just know that I was in back of an officer and I must have felt that i was far enough behind, why would I sit on a police officers bumper? if I had hit him or something significant had happened I may have been more aware of something that was wrongfull.

Unh huh.............. Sounds to me like you probably do have an idea how far from him you were. Following too close can cause an accident. I usually slow way down when someone does that to me, if tapping my brakes doesn't do the trick.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Unh huh.............. Sounds to me like you probably do have an idea how far from him you were. Following too close can cause an accident. I usually slow way down when someone does that to me, if tapping my brakes doesn't do the trick.
Instead of tapping my breaks, if someone climbs up on my a$$, I turn on my paring lights,(who's going to know the difference?) it's much more safe than slowing down or cause the vehicle to jolt.
I'll guarantee that the person behind you will get the message and back off.

There use to be some bumper sticker saying "if you can read this, your too damn close!,,Get off my a$$!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan