Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM

272 posts, read 725,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Welcome home! We did the same, only we went to Arizona. I was so happy to be back in Michigan that when I got off the plane at Detroit Metro I probably would have kissed the ground if it hadn't all been paved, lol. As I drove along I-94 in late August, I literally marveled at the lush greenness of Michigan, and we're not talking about some deep forest in the UP, we're talking about the sides of the interstate in suburban Detroit!

I think the mistake that so many people make is that they visit a place and really enjoy themselves,

When I moved there, it was my first time ever being in NC, other than for the job interview. I was unemployed for just over a year at the time. I was really tired of not working and since there were no jobs in my field, I looked elsewhere. Our only requirement was a place with warmer winters and less than a days drive back to Michigan to visit. I moved there minus my wife and kids to let my daughter finish her senior year here. So from from July of 2010 until June of 2011 I lived there myself. My family moved there and knew by the end of September they didn't like it. So by the end of October they were back here. The only reason I stayed was to finish out our lease. Glad we leased to make see if we liked it. Guess having a career with so few jobs isn't a good one.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM

26,445 posts, read 46,702,019 times
Seeing more IL and MI here where I am in WI recently.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,276,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
When I moved there, it was my first time ever being in NC, other than for the job interview. I was unemployed for just over a year at the time. I was really tired of not working and since there were no jobs in my field, I looked elsewhere. Our only requirement was a place with warmer winters and less than a days drive back to Michigan to visit. I moved there minus my wife and kids to let my daughter finish her senior year here. So from from July of 2010 until June of 2011 I lived there myself. My family moved there and knew by the end of September they didn't like it. So by the end of October they were back here. The only reason I stayed was to finish out our lease. Glad we leased to make see if we liked it. Guess having a career with so few jobs isn't a good one.......
The hardest part is moving and leaving wife and kids behind. I did the same move a year earlier. I went in February and my wife came down to the Triangle area in June. UGH!
I think the biggest adjustment to relocating is the physical environment. The heat, lack of grass, and critters. Being originally from Wayne County, one does not see deer at the back door every morning, turkey in the front yard or copper head snakes on the deck.
The strangest adjustment was running around in shorts and t-shirt during Thanksgiving week. As great as the smell of pine can be, there is also something to be said for the oak and maple trees--especially when they bud in the spring and drop their leaves in the fall.
The one thing I did miss was the smell of fresh cut grass. I could never get used to my yard smelling like onions after I cut the grass.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Better yet, move up north and on holidays go visit friends and relatives in the SE corner. That way the traffic is always going the opposite direction and going home after a long week-end is something to look forward to.
That's a splendid idea Definitely something my mind has been pondering recently.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM

8 posts, read 17,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Better yet, move up north and on holidays go visit friends and relatives in the SE corner. That way the traffic is always going the opposite direction and going home after a long week-end is something to look forward to.
Sure, except there's up to a 27% unemployment rate "up north" as well as much worse weather. The top of the state near shuts down in the winter. That reminds me of "The Shining" a little too much... lol

Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauceToss View Post
YES I cant wait to get out of this state! ITS horrible!! UGH, Im originally from Nashville, TN and I HATE HATE HATE It here! ugh, next summer cant come soon enough when we get the hell out of here!!!
Sorry, Michiganders, I agree with the poster. I'm sure we have different reasons, but for me it's the

weather, specifically the relentless GRAY and FREEZING wind for about half a year, with no snow to speak of.
No interest in the landscape. (yes, yes, the dunes... I know... That's ONE spot, WAAAAAY up there, that takes 5 hours to get to, that no one lives near, and people barely see. I am talking about pretty scenery where we actually LIVE.)
lack of jobs unless in certain pockets like Ann Arbor (where the university is basically the whole town) I have friends that are HIGHLY Qualified MASTER Degree level folks- who are working as receptionists... that's with CONSTANT looking for a year straight, and they are lucky that have that.
lack of things to do (yes, I look, and look and look and look and look. If you aren't a football fan or like country or folk music, or drinking- or you aren't a hunter, you're out of luck.)
People are very polite, (sometimes) but TRUE friendships are hard to comeby, which has NEVER been the case for me, EVER in any other place I've lived. And I have truly tried countless times.
The awful and pretty much constant "Pure Michigan" Ads. OMFG.
Ann arbor specifically; I hate the pretentious feel of the town, the "ethnic food" that is almost entirely NOT ethnic with a ludicrist price tag, and the fact that everything on the planet must be blue and yellow- even the damn garbage cans.
The roads. OMG the roads. I have had serious damage to my car TWICE due to potholes.
The cost of things. I live in around Ann Arbor. It costs JUST AS MUCH here as Middle of the road Brooklyn NY or outskirts of San F. If you get an apt or condo in Ann Arbor, its $2000 and UP for a one bedroom, plus you'll need one car per adult for the most part. Gas is one of the higher price points of the nation.
People are RUDE the other half of the time, well- at least in SE MI.
Detroit, our only "real" city, is like driving through where a bomb hit 50 years ago and everyone forgot it. It's so depressing.
and the worst;
People who can't accept the above because they are either a. in denial, b. have never been anywhere except for a vacation or two, or c. truly believe that michigan is the greatest thing on the planet because they say so and that's that. Try telling one of these folks that you are from out of town. see how they suddenly don't want to talk to you... you're an outsider. You KNOW their secret... Michigan sucks. I've lived here 9 years. I know what I'm talking about. When I visit NYC every year, I am always FLOORED at how nice people are in NYC in comparison to MI. FLOORED. I will give a clear example that happened recently;

I took my 1.5 year old across PA, OH, Upstate NY then down to N. Jersey and then to NYC just 4 months ago, then returned to SE MI. I noticed something very strange. In OH, people were complete jerks in the three places we stopped. Bitter, rude, etc. I brushed it off. I noticed a change from MI when in upstate NY for a week with my sister. We were at public beaches and out in the public alot, just me and my son. People were not overly friendly, and still standoffish like michigan folks, but not as much. There was a bit more diversity already with 5 hours still from NYC. And it was prettier. MUCH.
When we hit NJ I noticed people started doing something amazing. They TALKED to me and my son. at the beaches there, kids would openly play with my son. We went a few times, and it was consistent with each time and different children. In NYC area (right outside) it was like that but much more so. At a visit to the beach there, someone helped me carry things to the beach and back (strangers!~) without asking. LOTS of kids were playing with my son, sharing toys, talking to me. People were by far the most friendly in the entire trip. I returned to a beach several times there, and it was consistant. and it was the ocean- gorgeous! my son made so many friends, and people weren't so into themselves. This continued in the next 2-3 weeks we were there- at the delis, the pools, etc. I met tons of other moms and he met lots of kids. I thought maybe it was a fluke, and we got lucky. Then we returned to MI, and went to the "beach" (sad excuse for one) in SE MI. I kept my spirits up- I had the same attitude, I JUST returned refreshed from the visit to NY. This was a WEEK after we returned. Guess what happened? The most rude behavior I've seen in the last month. I saw at least 6 kids (each one my son approached) take his toys, one dragged him through the sand by his leg to "move him out of the way." three of them kept moving away from him like he had a disease when he tried to interact or help them dig. Two in the water just STARED at him and us like we were aliens from mars, frozen in deer like terror. Another couple of kids deceptively "traded" with him, taking advantage of his young age. I sat close by, watching, and interfering when I had to. I was overcome with sadness watching my son try, as I have, for years- to make friends with people that are just... unfriendly. These kids learned the behavior from their parents. I wanted to cry. It was a stark comparison to the joy I saw in him in other places very recently. To make matters worse, my experience was no better. There were well... very rude smoking and creepy people to our left, and it took 20 minutes to get a hot dog and lemonade from the stand with no customers in front of us. (and rude service.) STARK contrast. I know it's different, and if you live in SE mi, you're missing out on ALOT.

I just don't see the redeeming qualities, and what's so flipping great about Michigan. I think all our states are amazing, and Mi just does not stand out in the top 10 for me. Maybe the top 25. but it's nothing that'll keep me happy for life. I'm moving on as soon as possible.

For the folks that move to other states like FL or NV from MI and say how it sucks- well, yeah, of course it does. Those states suck even more than MI does. Do your homework! Live a happy life, whatever that means. I mean no offense to those who love this state for their own reasons, and I respect that. This is MY opinion and experience, and it's real. So it's not for me, and that's ok. I know I vented a little, please forgive me, I just am so fed up with it all. I have tried time and time again to make this work for me, and I just don't see it happening. And please don't discount it- I am a very friendly person, I say hello to people first, I have gone to schools, had jobs, tried and tried and tried again.

Last edited by scarlettfox1; 09-10-2012 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettfox1 View Post
Sorry, Michiganders, I agree with the poster. I'm sure we have different reasons, but for me it's the

weather, specifically the relentless GRAY and FREEZING wind for about half a year, with no snow to speak of.
No interest in the landscape. (yes, yes, the dunes... I know... That's ONE spot, WAAAAAY up there, that takes 5 hours to get to, that no one lives near, and people barely see. I am talking about pretty scenery where we actually LIVE.)
lack of jobs unless in certain pockets like Ann Arbor (where the university is basically the whole town) I have friends that are HIGHLY Qualified MASTER Degree level folks- who are working as receptionists... that's with CONSTANT looking for a year straight, and they are lucky that have that.
lack of things to do (yes, I look, and look and look and look and look. If you aren't a football fan or like country or folk music, or drinking- or you aren't a hunter, you're out of luck.)
People are very polite, (sometimes) but TRUE friendships are hard to comeby, which has NEVER been the case for me, EVER in any other place I've lived. And I have truly tried countless times.
The awful and pretty much constant "Pure Michigan" Ads. OMFG.
Ann arbor specifically; I hate the pretentious feel of the town, the "ethnic food" that is almost entirely NOT ethnic with a ludicrist price tag, and the fact that everything on the planet must be blue and yellow- even the damn garbage cans.
The roads. OMG the roads. I have had serious damage to my car TWICE due to potholes.
The cost of things. I live in around Ann Arbor. It costs JUST AS MUCH here as Middle of the road Brooklyn NY or outskirts of San F. If you get an apt or condo in Ann Arbor, its $2000 and UP for a one bedroom, plus you'll need one car per adult for the most part. Gas is one of the higher price points of the nation.
People are RUDE the other half of the time, well- at least in SE MI.
Detroit, our only "real" city, is like driving through where a bomb hit 50 years ago and everyone forgot it. It's so depressing.
and the worst;
People who can't accept the above because they are either a. in denial, b. have never been anywhere except for a vacation or two, or c. truly believe that michigan is the greatest thing on the planet because they say so and that's that. Try telling one of these folks that you are from out of town. see how they suddenly don't want to talk to you... you're an outsider. You KNOW their secret... Michigan sucks. I've lived here 9 years. I know what I'm talking about. When I visit NYC every year, I am always FLOORED at how nice people are in NYC in comparison to MI. FLOORED. I will give a clear example that happened recently;

I took my 1.5 year old across PA, OH, Upstate NY then down to N. Jersey and then to NYC just 4 months ago, then returned to SE MI. I noticed something very strange. In OH, people were complete jerks in the three places we stopped. Bitter, rude, etc. I brushed it off. I noticed a change from MI when in upstate NY for a week with my sister. We were at public beaches and out in the public alot, just me and my son. People were not overly friendly, and still standoffish like michigan folks, but not as much. There was a bit more diversity already with 5 hours still from NYC. And it was prettier. MUCH.
When we hit NJ I noticed people started doing something amazing. They TALKED to me and my son. at the beaches there, kids would openly play with my son. We went a few times, and it was consistent with each time and different children. In NYC area (right outside) it was like that but much more so. At a visit to the beach there, someone helped me carry things to the beach and back (strangers!~) without asking. LOTS of kids were playing with my son, sharing toys, talking to me. People were by far the most friendly in the entire trip. I returned to a beach several times there, and it was consistant. and it was the ocean- gorgeous! my son made so many friends, and people weren't so into themselves. This continued in the next 2-3 weeks we were there- at the delis, the pools, etc. I met tons of other moms and he met lots of kids. I thought maybe it was a fluke, and we got lucky. Then we returned to MI, and went to the "beach" (sad excuse for one) in SE MI. I kept my spirits up- I had the same attitude, I JUST returned refreshed from the visit to NY. This was a WEEK after we returned. Guess what happened? The most rude behavior I've seen in the last month. I saw at least 6 kids (each one my son approached) take his toys, one dragged him through the sand by his leg to "move him out of the way." three of them kept moving away from him like he had a disease when he tried to interact or help them dig. Two in the water just STARED at him and us like we were aliens from mars, frozen in deer like terror. Another couple of kids deceptively "traded" with him, taking advantage of his young age. I sat close by, watching, and interfering when I had to. I was overcome with sadness watching my son try, as I have, for years- to make friends with people that are just... unfriendly. These kids learned the behavior from their parents. I wanted to cry. It was a stark comparison to the joy I saw in him in other places very recently. To make matters worse, my experience was no better. There were well... very rude smoking and creepy people to our left, and it took 20 minutes to get a hot dog and lemonade from the stand with no customers in front of us. (and rude service.) STARK contrast. I know it's different, and if you live in SE mi, you're missing out on ALOT.

I just don't see the redeeming qualities, and what's so flipping great about Michigan. I think all our states are amazing, and Mi just does not stand out in the top 10 for me. Maybe the top 25. but it's nothing that'll keep me happy for life. I'm moving on as soon as possible.

For the folks that move to other states like FL or NV from MI and say how it sucks- well, yeah, of course it does. Those states suck even more than MI does. Do your homework! Live a happy life, whatever that means. I mean no offense to those who love this state for their own reasons, and I respect that. This is MY opinion and experience, and it's real. So it's not for me, and that's ok. I know I vented a little, please forgive me, I just am so fed up with it all. I have tried time and time again to make this work for me, and I just don't see it happening. And please don't discount it- I am a very friendly person, I say hello to people first, I have gone to schools, had jobs, tried and tried and tried again.
You are the type of person Michigan does not need, and the type of person who will find fault with anywhere you end up. Michigan is not for everyone, so you should leave ASAP.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
You are the type of person Michigan does not need, and the type of person who will find fault with anywhere you end up. Michigan is not for everyone, so you should leave ASAP.
Exactly. an outsider that is friendly, educated, hard working and likes to spend more than 3 months outdoors. I am the worst person on earth and certainly not good enough for michigan. This is EXACTLY the kind of attitude I'm talking about. "don't like it, GET OUT!" and "You're an outsider; read- STRANGER, therefore I'll be friendly but standoffish because you don't agree with everything I say," attitude. Been there, done that. 1000 times. And you know what? I've lived in other states and absolutely LOVED it. LOVED it. Some not so hot. Mich is in the middle of my experience I'd say. Not the best, not the worst. NY and NJ were the best by far.

and as for you're GET OUT NOW attitude, I've been trying for 5 years. Problem is, no one is moving into michigan (gee I wonder why) and so... we can't seem to sell our place at even a 1/3rd at the value we bought. Such is the state at this point. I didn't make it so.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettfox1 View Post
Exactly. an outsider that is friendly, educated, hard working and likes to spend more than 3 months outdoors. I am the worst person on earth and certainly not good enough for michigan. This is EXACTLY the kind of attitude I'm talking about. "don't like it, GET OUT!" and "You're an outsider; read- STRANGER, therefore I'll be friendly but standoffish because you don't agree with everything I say," attitude. Been there, done that. 1000 times. And you know what? I've lived in other states and absolutely LOVED it. LOVED it. Some not so hot. Mich is in the middle of my experience I'd say. Not the best, not the worst. NY and NJ were the best by far.

and as for you're GET OUT NOW attitude, I've been trying for 5 years. Problem is, no one is moving into michigan (gee I wonder why) and so... we can't seem to sell our place at even a 1/3rd at the value we bought. Such is the state at this point. I didn't make it so.
You say no interesting landscape except a dune way up there that people hardly see??. Have you ever even traveled Michigan? Lol...that may be the funniest statement of the year!
Lack of things to do...really??????? Again...sounds like you are a hard one to please.
And yes...I really did mean Michigan does not need a negative person like yourself. If you have been trying for 5 years, you are not trying fast enough.

Last edited by michmoldman; 09-10-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,112,877 times
It's too bad that Scarlet had a bad experience.

The first year in Phoenix was really rough for me. It was hard for this Michigander to get used to the western vibe, along with a drunk driver totalling my vehicle and a criminal breaking into the new one.

Never mind trying to pick the lock.....he just smashed the driver side window.

118 degrees?

I have lived in 2 states now.

Both are wonderful.

Both can be challenging.

And we get 5 Lions' games on TV this year.

And I still don't own an ice scraper or snow shovel.

It's all good, as y'all can rub it in my face with the picture thread.

Fall can be spectacular in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan