Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM

67 posts, read 346,073 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. It reminded me of the story (poem?) of the 6 blind men feeling different parts of an elephant and each describing what they thought an elephant was like. Some of the similarities in experiences in this thread could be grouped by location, such as whether they found people to be friendly.

I moved to southwest MI 5 years ago from Canada when my American husband and I got married. I've traveled in other states but haven't lived in any others. What I like most about living here is the friendly, down-to-earth people. I'm from a big city, where people often act like a wall is around them when they're with people they don't know, but here, people greet and get into conversations with strangers easily. I didn't know most of my neighbors when I lived in a big city, but here, I do.

I wish the summers weren't so humid, but I'd take them over summers that are so hot that you hardly go outside during the summer. I'd rather have the winter months be the indoor months.

It sounds to me like in some other parts of the US, people judge you by your religion/church affiliation, political views, or race. I see little of that here, thankfully.

No, I wouldn't move from Michigan right now. I have no reason to move and no reason to think that somewhere else would be better for me. But no location can be good for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM

654 posts, read 3,458,430 times
I'm somewhat conflicted on whether to move away back to TX. Living alone its tough trying to get out to do much. I have an okay job, but working second shift as a driver can be depressing, especially this time of year since I don't get to do much else than that. I still have yet to even see the UP as just haven't had the chance or time to visit. I know there are many beautiful areas in MI. My mom several times has hinted to the fact of wanting me to move back to Texas, but I really need a good reason to do that. Being a loner can be hard, and would be the same feeling no matter where I went.

I'm fine where I am for the time being, but who knows what I may decide down the line.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,100,612 times
Ifya move away from MI, then you will miss it.

At least sometimes.

I don't hang Christmas lights on the bushes anymore.

They all have thorns on 'em.

Sharp thorns.

Very sharp thorns.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,078,680 times
I guess if the opportunity was right I would leave. But I lived in PA for about 3.5 years, came back to Michigan, and don't really see a point in leaving right now.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 AM

9,473 posts, read 10,823,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ifya move away from MI, then you will miss it.

At least sometimes.

I don't hang Christmas lights on the bushes anymore.

They all have thorns on 'em.

Sharp thorns.

Very sharp thorns.

Yes Michigan does have things that are missed when youve moved away, especially the great lakes. Like you I have moved away. It is hard to get into Christmas when its over 60 degrees. I love where I am now, but that doesnt mean I dont think about what I gave up when I moved here.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM

29,848 posts, read 24,953,870 times
I certainly wouldn't move back. Hard to survive on what anyone is willing to pay in that state. I can't live on a pinch of sawdust an hour and a grapefruit at the end of the year

Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,612,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I certainly wouldn't move back. Hard to survive on what anyone is willing to pay in that state. I can't live on a pinch of sawdust an hour and a grapefruit at the end of the year
Hmmm... over-generalize much? There are plenty of people in MI who make decent money. You can live the good life in Michigan making average wages, with the low cost of living. Definitely can't say the same for Chicago.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 AM

107 posts, read 357,289 times
After reading everybody's messages I wanted to give some feedback:
Michigan I call my second home even as you know I am a native Ohioan around Cincinnati, I would move up there in a heart beat if my job was to move up there. The one thing that Michigan can not compete against with Ohio is infrastructure and places to shop and go. Michigan is more country and wild than Ohio (Reminds me of Kentucky - Western Kentucky but not as hilly but the people are nice) The People up there I found are much nicer to talk to than most from Ohio but try and find a good shopping mall or places to eat, this is where Michigan needs to look at SW Ohio between Cincy and Dayton and learn how to build like we have things down here. When I come to Ann Arbor I notice the lack of places to shop, Kalamazoo and Portage is the same(not spent enough time in GR yet) any other place is for tourism which is fine - once more St.Joe is my second home! But what draws me to Michigan? The Great Lakes and the charm, the air is cleaner for the most part, I love to fish and boat (SW Ohio has a lack of those good quality things) I love the people and the smaller towns and the history that is there- I love saying GO BLUE! and my Kentucky friends think I am talking about KY until I say " GO BLUE WOLVERINES!" So did I forget to say that the weather is better as well? Last summer it was near or over 100 degrees for a week in Ohio- drove to St.Joe and it was 75!!!!! :-) Oh well...many times I have tried to get a job there and got a few bites but nothing ever became of them - the main reason I am still in Ohio where jobs have kept me planted.
but if the day comes that my job moves or a find one - I am so out of here!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,564 times
I will probably have to move away from Michigan. I hate to throw in the towel, but it's pretty obvious I'm going to need a warmer climate. Notice I said "need"...not "want". I love it here in Michigan. Unfortunately, as a retired single woman, I just cannot shovel snow any more. I'm looking at shoulder replacement surgery in the near future, and even after that, it looks pretty bleak for that kind of heavy lifting.

I have a snow blower and it's wonderful, but there are still areas that must be shoveled. For example, when the city plows come by and pile enormous mounds of ice/snow blocks at the end of the driveway, a snow blower can't move it. It has to be shoveled, in order to get the car in and out.

I have, over the past few years, hired people to do snow removal. It has been a disaster. Every single one has been unreliable and disappeared, with phone numbers no longer in service.

Forget neighbor kids (and there are a lot of them). They do not need to work for spending money, and they rarely venture outdoors, except to be ferried by their moms to school, activities, or the local gym or ice arena for organized sports. It's just so odd to me, because I'm quite friendly with the parents, enjoying cookouts and watching each others' pets, bringing in each others' mail, etc.

I have zero interest in living in a condo, because I love a good garden and would be lost without one. So the answer, for me at least, is to sell my lovely home and move South, Southwest (but not Texas) or Hawaii (assuming I can work out the dog quarantine issues) where it hardly ever snows and where I can still have a nice garden.

Damn snow.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,100,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Hmmm... over-generalize much? There are plenty of people in MI who make decent money. You can live the good life in Michigan making average wages, with the low cost of living. Definitely can't say the same for Chicago.

Please define the "low cost of living".

Look, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but the cost of living is the same just about everywhere you go. Of course, there are exceptions.

New York City, San Francisco, parts of Chicago, etc.

While living in Michigan and interviewing for out of state jobs, I heard that "low cost of living" phrase more times than I could count. Employers like to use it when they're trying to low ball ya.

Now, if you refer to the cost of housing....

Sure.

There are some discrepancies.

But if someone from Chicago that's making 20 bucks per hour and moves to Michigan and enjoys a 14 dollar per hour job......they ain't gonna be livin' the good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan