Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,911,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I totally agree, I also have lived in many other places. I grew up in Detroit, in my early twenties I moved to southern California, and spent quite a few years there, then moved around a bit. MI has a lot to offer, it a beautiful state, and there is so much to do both in urban settings and natural settings.

The one thing I don't like about it is how negative many people are about the state, there is a lot to be proud of, but may people focus only on the negative, or supposed negative like the weather, so MI has winter, so what? Half the country has a cold winter, ours is far from the worst, at least in SE MI where I live. I find the four seasons a benefit to living here, I lived in SoCal where it's sunny and 70-75 degrees all year, it's nice for a couple years, but then it becomes very boring, if you are in tune with nature, you can feel that the seasons have a purpose and every one of them can be enjoyed, and be a great part of life. I could never enjoy living in the south with the hot, humid summers, the heat makes me feel horrible, I would chose winter any day.

People who say there is nothing to do aren't looking. I live in Detroit, and I enjoy so much art, culture, and food. Detroit has a great symphony, opera, as well as many touring shows of all types of music and dance that come through town. If you like sports there is no shortage of events to attend. I also enjoy the natural beauty of MI, the trees, greenery, rivers and lakes. There is something here for everyone. I'm happy to be back, I just bought a house and plan to stay long term.

People who think the grass in greener somewhere else may be surprised to find out that Mi is a great state, but they just didn't appreciate it.
A lot of people are very negative, but a LOT of people really love this state also. I started a business where I make quite a few Michigan themed metal items, and its amazing the amount of support I've gotten. I also "Like" almost every page that has to do with Michigan on Facebook and Twitter. It kinda gives you the "pulse" of Michigan, and really lets you have a great feeling for whats going on and all the people who love her and are doing great things here. I have really noticed a big resurgence in buying, and traveling Michigan. People are really responding to all that is being done to promote her. I do wholesale to many, many stores in Michigan, and each one has told me more and more people want "Made in Michigan"
For those of us who truly love this state, its a VERY exciting time to be living here, and I wouldnt trade it for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,206,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
A lot of people are very negative, but a LOT of people really love this state also. I started a business where I make quite a few Michigan themed metal items, and its amazing the amount of support I've gotten. I also "Like" almost every page that has to do with Michigan on Facebook and Twitter. It kinda gives you the "pulse" of Michigan, and really lets you have a great feeling for whats going on and all the people who love her and are doing great things here. I have really noticed a big resurgence in buying, and traveling Michigan. People are really responding to all that is being done to promote her. I do wholesale to many, many stores in Michigan, and each one has told me more and more people want "Made in Michigan"
For those of us who truly love this state, its a VERY exciting time to be living here, and I wouldnt trade it for anything.
I'm glad to hear that! MI has a lot going for it, incredible natural beauty, the amazing lakes, and some great people. Everyone who lives here should be proud. As far as our cities, Detroit is getting better every day, I work downtown a couple days a week and it's great to see so many people walking about and going to the restaurants and museums, symphony, etc. I went downtown with my Godmother as a "tourist" awhile back and we were not alone, there were tons of real tourists, asians, and others from all over. The most important thing is for the people in the suburbs to realize the city matters to them too, they can't just run and hide from it, if we want young people, and large businesses to stay, we need a thriving major city. I'm always upset when I hear someone has never gone into Detroit, there is so much to do in the city, people of all ages are going to the events in the city. The downtown area is very safe during the day, and at night in the major restaurant/nightlife areas, people don't need to be afraid. Belle Isle is beautiful and the aquarium just reopened.

I've never been there, but I hear Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo are improving also.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM

20 posts, read 33,777 times
Default ABSOLUTELY! I'd move tomorrow!

Ended up in Mi in my early 20's after my family's messy divorce and displacement. Been what I'd call "stuck" here 10 years, and can't beliTeve it- I stay because I met a great guy, and now we have an even greater kid! These are awesome changes to my life, but I would have preferred this all to go down in Hawaii, Georgia, NY, NJ, CT, DE, WA... Oh, heck- pretty much anywhere except the deep south and south west.

LOOK before all the die hard mi folks get all defensive (too late) and get their panties in a big ol' bunch... We are all entitled to our opinions. We all have the individual right to express that opinion, especially on message boards designed to do just that.

I am not a fan. I don't buy the common "so much to see" and "four seasons" crap that people spew over and over. I'm so sick of hearing it. There's "four distinct seasons" in MOST states of the USA. "So much to see" could apply to ANY state. The fact is, MI is pretty- but not as pretty as many of the states you could live in, but not as ugly as some. It's maybe in the top 20. Maybe. It's not especially great for people seeking jobs. But not the worst either. It's got pretty awful weather. But not the worst- but close. It's got a few great schools. But many states do, and all the MI grads move out of state. It's got the most effed up gov't in the USA right now... So if if you're gay, not legally married, a woman or a person, you may not want to move here. The roads are so bad that it's common to have expensive repairs to rims, tires, suspension etc to vehicles from the pot holes. The gas is really up there. (not as high as a couple states, but higher than most.) It's been called the "fourth most depressed state" and the three to four of the major "cities" (if you can call them that at this point) have been repeatedly named as in the top 10 most depressed or worst places to live in the USA.

The people here are in denial. They give you the "why would I live anywhere else" speal, the "four seasons" crap and the "It's so beautiful bs" If I sound angry , i'm not- just irritated at hearing the same hollow excuses to stay. Worst, people from MI have a pride that goes beyond admirable- it's downright cocky. I have met some of the rudest people I've ever met in my whole life here. They put ny'rs to shame- then insult them for their cost of living and money mongering. Yes, people in MI ARE truly better than EVERYONE if you buy it. The weirdest thing I've witnessed is that when there is a gathering around these parts, the default conversation is the awesome superiority of the state. If you don't agree, guess you're not in. It's infantile... and I cannot WAIT to move and have things called paved roads, jobs, a working government, and this thing called "sunshine" and "varying landscape" that I've heard so much about.

People that move to equally crap places like FL or AZ or NV are of course, going to complain MI is the same or better. I'm not saying it's the worst... but it's not near the best either. Heck, I'll take PA or OH or even NJ over this place. At least I'd see some true four seasons. AND PLEASE I don't need to hear the "up north" speal. I've heard it 10434 times and guess what? I know! I've been up there! Lots of times! It's flat with trees! it's got a 27% unemployement rate, and crappy weather. Sure, it's great to "see" up there, but honestly, Montana and even MN has this state beat in the pretty dept. and that's just two I am naming for examples. I've seen every state except Lousiana, Hawaii and Alaska. There are amazing, beautiful places in this country, and vibrant, incredible cities. I appreciate MI in my own way, which I am allowed to do as I have rights. Others are allowed to feel how they want. But don't shoot me down for coming to the conclusion that I'd rather live in at least 10 other states. I really did try!

I don't recommend living here. Again, that's me. Any response to me stating how I'm wrong or haven't tried something to their liking will be ignored and not read. I have a right to my say. and those folks that will tell me to move already... grow up. I don't understand why adults take it personally when people don't agree with everything they think... we have been trying to find a way out for 3 years but the market is so bad that our house is worth next to nothing, as with many other states except the ones people want to live in.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,079,859 times
lol ficklefox....your post sounds almost EXACTLY like the posts I made a few months ago...regarding Omaha, NE, where I was living for three years until we came back to Michigan, lol. omg, how I hated it there! You poor thing. It sucks to have to live somewhere where you honestly try to like it, but you can't help but hate it, lol. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

I hope you're able to escape soon!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM

325 posts, read 372,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I started a business where I make quite a few Michigan themed metal items
Mich-Mold-Man--I *get* it now!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Mich-Mold-Man--I *get* it now!
Nnnnope ya only think ya do. lol I had to ask him one day on FB where he got a name like that. Wasn't the metal art work. Right Mich?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,206,856 times
No place is right for everyone, but one person's "crap" is another's heaven. I lived in San Diego for years, which is a place many would find perfect, but I prefer my current life in Michigan for many reasons. There's nothing wrong with someone having their own preferences, but people who bash, and say nasty things about a place simply because they don't like it is just rude. I don't go to the CA forum and bash San Diego, if someone asks I will give them the reasons why I didn't like it, but I would never imply that people who love it there are wrong, in denial, or stupid, that kind of attitude bothers me a lot. If someone really hates living somewhere they should do their best to move, if that's not possible I would recommend trying new things and meeting new people in an effort to find ways of enjoying it more. People who just sit around, complain, wallow in self pity, and refuse to try and find something positive are their own worst enemies. If you live anywhere in the US, and are not in a dangerous inner city, you are more fortunate than much of the world population, and people should appreciate that.

I don't meet too many people who are cocky about MI, actually, I don't think I've met anyone like that, certainly not compared to NY, or CA where many people think just living there is enough to make them special and interesting (it's not!) I find a lot of people who live here are often negative about MI and think the grass is much greener elsewhere. I've NEVER been to a gathering where the topic of conversation was how MI is better than anywhere else, or even how good it is. That's one of the things I don't like about living here, MI could use MORE pride, there is a lot of good here, if you can't find at least a few good things, you aren't looking. I can name many good things about any state, even about the ones I dislike the most. I have lived in many different states and visited almost all of them.

Last edited by detshen; 12-17-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,615,711 times
Quote:
AND PLEASE I don't need to hear the "up north" speal. I've heard it 10434 times and guess what? I know! I've been up there! Lots of times! It's flat with trees!
It's definitely not all flat Up North. The western side of the state is pretty hilly up north, also the central part of the state when you get north of Clare. It's OK to dislike Michigan, but you obviously haven't been everywhere, either.

If you live on the east side of the state and "up north" to you means Tawas City, then yes, you are mostly going to see flat land.

Those of us who travel up US 131, US 31, or 127 get to see plenty of rolling hills.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
Ended up in Mi in my early 20's after my family's messy divorce and displacement. Been what I'd call "stuck" here 10 years, and can't beliTeve it- I stay because I met a great guy, and now we have an even greater kid! These are awesome changes to my life, but I would have preferred this all to go down in Hawaii, Georgia, NY, NJ, CT, DE, WA... Oh, heck- pretty much anywhere except the deep south and south west.

LOOK before all the die hard mi folks get all defensive (too late) and get their panties in a big ol' bunch... We are all entitled to our opinions. We all have the individual right to express that opinion, especially on message boards designed to do just that......

The people here are in denial. They give you the "why would I live anywhere else" speal, the "four seasons" crap and the "It's so beautiful bs" If I sound angry , i'm not- just irritated at hearing the same hollow excuses to stay. Worst, people from MI have a pride that goes beyond admirable- it's downright cocky. I have met some of the rudest people I've ever met in my whole life here. They put ny'rs to shame- then insult them for their cost of living and money mongering. Yes, people in MI ARE truly better than EVERYONE if you buy it. The weirdest thing I've witnessed is that when there is a gathering around these parts, the default conversation is the awesome superiority of the state. If you don't agree, guess you're not in. It's infantile... and I cannot WAIT to move and have things called paved roads, jobs, a working government, and this thing called "sunshine" and "varying landscape" that I've heard so much about.

I don't recommend living here. Again, that's me. Any response to me stating how I'm wrong or haven't tried something to their liking will be ignored and not read. I have a right to my say. and those folks that will tell me to move already... grow up. I don't understand why adults take it personally when people don't agree with everything they think... we have been trying to find a way out for 3 years but the market is so bad that our house is worth next to nothing, as with many other states except the ones people want to live in.
I feel the same way. My wife and I are both Michigan natives, born and raised. We were in NC for 3 years (09-12) and I loved it. I also loved living in Boulder, CO; Madison, WI; Philadelphia, PA; Ocachobee, FL; I even liked the time I lived in Honor, MI.
My wife is another story. She is convinced there is no life outside of Michigan--except for tourism--and refuses to ever consider the possibility of moving again.
For me, I suppose no where is home, but ANYWHERE is as good as any place.
I am still adjusting the the cost of living here compared to NC. With the exception of food and medical, I am astounded at the costs to live here. I refuse to own property and pay outrageous taxes. We have a modular and just pay lot rent. I will never buy a new car in Michigan because full-coverage insurance costs are ridiculous. Utilities are painful here, though even Progress Energy in NC was increasing rates when we left.

And yes, I would love some cheese with my WHINE..

Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM

82 posts, read 300,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No place is right for everyone, but one person's "crap" is another's heaven. I lived in San Diego for years, which is a place many would find perfect, but I prefer my current life in Michigan for many reasons. There's nothing wrong with someone having their own preferences, but people who bash, and say nasty things about a place simply because they don't like it is just rude. I don't go to the CA forum and bash San Diego, if someone asks I will give them the reasons why I didn't like it, but I would never imply that people who love it there are wrong, in denial, or stupid, that kind of attitude bothers me a lot. If someone really hates living somewhere they should do their best to move, if that's not possible I would recommend trying new things and meeting new people in an effort to find ways of enjoying it more. People who just sit around, complain, wallow in self pity, and refuse to try and find something positive are their own worst enemies. If you live anywhere in the US, and are not in a dangerous inner city, you are more fortunate than much of the world population, and people should appreciate that.

I don't meet too many people who are cocky about MI, actually, I don't think I've met anyone like that, certainly not compared to NY, or CA where many people think just living there is enough to make them special and interesting (it's not!) I find a lot of people who live here are often negative about MI and think the grass is much greener elsewhere. I've NEVER been to a gathering where the topic of conversation was how MI is better than anywhere else, or even how good it is. That's one of the things I don't like about living here, MI could use MORE pride, there is a lot of good here, if you can't find at least a few good things, you aren't looking. I can name many good things about any state, even about the ones I dislike the most. I have lived in many different states and visited almost all of them.

Well said. I agree completely. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan