Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM

22 posts, read 95,728 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone know of any planned or proposed development in St. Ignace that would prompt AEP (American Electric Power) to ask for access to undeveloped property?

The area is the west side of Mackinac Trail, maybe a mile north of the Charles Moran/Gorman intersection. Wondering if this is just maintenance or if there's some development coming up in that region.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 AM

447 posts, read 1,247,246 times
How large a parcel? Perhaps they are locking it up for future development of a wind farm.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,879,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
How large a parcel? Perhaps they are locking it up for future development of a wind farm.
That's exactly what I would have guessed too. The whole Mackinaw Straits area was seen as highly advantageous for wind turbines, wasn't it?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Not sure the size of the parcel but I don't think it's more than a few acres, if that. Wind turbines, hmm? AEP didn't seem interested in purchasing the land, they just wanted access to it (the owner offered to sell it).

I've been digging around the internet to see if I could find anything about future plans for the area, including the AEP website but haven't found any clues at all. I appreciate this info - thanks very much!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:48 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,278,994 times
Typically the way wind farm structures work - is the local farm owner owns the lands. The utility agrees to lease a small portion of the land and install winds turbines in it. The utility generates returns based on the output of the farm. Often the utility (e.g. AEP) generates renewable energy credits (REC's) which are tax advantageous. So the utility gets money from the electricity and credits from the government. (i.e. well really from us). Often there is another limited partner in the deal (a GE type entity) that receives the tax benefits once a stipulated internal rate of return has been generated. This is known as a flip structure. For example, utility gets 95% of cash and 5% of REC's until it receives a 10% investment over 10 years. Then it flips and the other investor gets the 95% cash and 95% REC's. It's purely tax driven to lower the amout of tax a corporation pays. The "green energy" is the term du jour to appease certain constituents for the loopholes.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,278,994 times
Here's an intro writeup - http://www.geenergyfinancialservices...ts_March07.pdf

Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks Belle! Looks like we may be taking a trip to Michigan in the next few weeks to see what else we can learn. I appreciate everyone's time and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: