Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,513 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Colorado but am from Sault area in Ontario so I am looking at the region of Charlevoix, Petoskey, Cheboygan, St. Ignace etc. for relocating.

I am looking for somewhere very safe, affordable, kid friendly, good schools and small town atmosphere but decent amenities.

Any advice/info you could give would be much appreciated!

Also, where would the closest airport(s) be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
Hello,

For safe, they are all very safe. Summertime in all of the places, the crowds grow due to tourists. The biggest influx of tourists would be Petoskey or Charlevoix (traffic especially).

Most affordable would be St. Ignace or Cheboygan.

Kid friendly, I would think all of those places would be kid friendly. I will speak for Cheboygan. In Cheboygan you will have a very large amount of kids' activities. Baseball/softball, soccer leagues, dance programs at the opera house, 4-h, girl scouts/boy scouts, gymnastics classes, beaches (same as other locations you are looking at), summer/winter festivals, lots of community events put on the Jaycees and many other organizations, multiple parades throughout the year, many affordable daycare places, I could go on and on...

Great schools, both the public and private schools are known to be pretty good in Cheboygan - the private schools have scholarship programs as well for those in need. Petoskey would have larger schools and charlevoix and St. ignace would be about the same, if not smaller, than Cheboygan.

Amenities - what are you looking for? Growing up in Cheboygan, what we couldn't get there, we drove to Petoskey or Gaylord for an occasional shopping trip, but there is a Kmart, Walmart, Peebles, a few grocery stores, and a Tractor Supply Co. is opening this summer there. What other amenities are you looking for??

Check out:
Cheboygan, Michigan

CheboyganBuzz - Home Page

For airports - I live on the East coast now, but visit Northern MI frequently (especially Cheboygan). Pellston is the closest and surprisingly, you can find good deals. Traverse City is the biggest and you can find deals here more often. I just flew home last month into the Sault airport in Kinross for a GREAT deal!! Alpena has deals every so often. If none of those work out, I fly into Flint, Saginaw, or Grand Rapids for a three hour drive...
PLN - pellston
TVC - traverse city
CIU - the soo
APN - alpena
FNT - flint
MBS - saginaw
GRR - grand rapids
Good luck!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM

thanks, that is very helpful.

Now for the hot button issues:

What is the political climate like in that area? Conservative? Liberal? Mix?

I am also concerned about what I have heard about the Michigan Militia since we are a mixed race family. How do they impact the area, if at all?

It's kind of the one factor that makes me nervous about northern Michigan.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
thanks, that is very helpful.

Now for the hot button issues:

What is the political climate like in that area? Conservative? Liberal? Mix?

I am also concerned about what I have heard about the Michigan Militia since we are a mixed race family. How do they impact the area, if at all?

It's kind of the one factor that makes me nervous about northern Michigan.
Political climate, I would say is pretty mixed! I think sometimes all of those areas seem to lean toward Conservative, but there are some active more liberal groups, environmental, etc. - I come from a liberal family in Cheboygan who has many family friends who are both liberal and very conservative! - I feel that no matter what you are, people tend to get along as long as you don't start fights over political issues right off the bat when getting to know someone

I have not heard anything, really, about the Michigan Militia since the 90s..I don't think it would be a problem at all, the whole of Northern Michigan is becoming more diverse. I don't think, unless you live in Wolverine, you will hear anything about or from the militia.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,747 times
I agree, the most affordable is Saint Ignace or Cheboygan. Stay away from Petoskey if you are not rich. They have an "Association" There that will make it quite hard for you to live there if you aren't rich or if you are liberal in your political beliefs. I have never lived there, but have talked to some who did. Also, they hate Indians (in the 70's they shot at them!!), and held Klu Klux Klan rallies in Traverse City, which is not far from them. I would say, judging from the political conversations I had with them last summer (I did phone survery for the Democratic Party), that they hate anybody who isn't white and rich. I have never talked to more hate-filled people in my life!! Saint Ignace would be your best bet. Why haven't you considered Sault Sainte Marie?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1829 View Post
I agree, the most affordable is Saint Ignace or Cheboygan. Stay away from Petoskey if you are not rich. They have an "Association" There that will make it quite hard for you to live there if you aren't rich or if you are liberal in your political beliefs. I have never lived there, but have talked to some who did. Also, they hate Indians (in the 70's they shot at them!!), and held Klu Klux Klan rallies in Traverse City, which is not far from them. I would say, judging from the political conversations I had with them last summer (I did phone survery for the Democratic Party), that they hate anybody who isn't white and rich. I have never talked to more hate-filled people in my life!! Saint Ignace would be your best bet. Why haven't you considered Sault Sainte Marie?
that's scary Carol1829!
That's exactly what I don't want to get into.
I'm familiar with SSM and personally don't like it, so I would not want to relocate there.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
This might be the most ridiculous post I have read since joining city data 5 years ago. Not one word of it has even a slice of merit. OP, I hope you're not gullible enough to fall for this kind of rubbish from someone who's never even lived here.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Quote:
WTF???
Everything you said about Petoskey is NOT true.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:50 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
I have not heard anything, really, about the Michigan Militia since the 90s..I don't think it would be a problem at all, the whole of Northern Michigan is becoming more diverse. I don't think, unless you live in Wolverine, you will hear anything about or from the militia.
The then leader of the Michigan Militia moved to the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska shortly after the Oklahoma bombing.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
This might be the most ridiculous post I have read since joining city data 5 years ago. Not one word of it has even a slice of merit. OP, I hope you're not gullible enough to fall for this kind of rubbish from someone who's never even lived here.
I don't know what to believe - that's why I'm seeking advice and opinions here on CD.

I would not feel comfortable in a place where the Michigan Militia and KKK are active, or where people are really conservative and liberal hating. If your experience is any different than what above poster said - please share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan