Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,958,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
you brought up alot of stuff I didn't say. I didn't say anything about my SO. He's not "smarter" than me. He's the book worm math type, I'm the creative writer type. We're both honor students/scholarship material. He dosen't "love" michigan. He's an indoor guy. He does nothing really outside the house. That's just him. He wouldn't care if we were in alaska. He has no real affection for the state, you assumed that. You also assumed he was "smarter." you also assumed he's being dragged. That's not true either. I wouldn't want him to go if that was the case. That would be dumb. Also, he's moved from his family years ago- they live a few hours away. Yes, in MI still- but hours away. So he sees them- by choice- rarely. And sorry, spring, summer and fall are pretty EVERYWHERE. Yes, EVERYWHERE. There's not a single place that it isn't, so saying it's nice in Michigan is true, but not more so than montana, oklahoma, minnesota, new york, new jersey, ohio, pennsy, conneticut, and so on. Also, if he can make $100,000 here where I'm bored and miserable, he can easily make $125,000 in NYC where I won't be. He'll gain more $$$, experience, and a happier partner. Oh, and his kid will have every opportunity there is. And maybe, just maybe, we'll see the sun 76 more days a year, and winters won't be as bitter. And when weekends come, we won't have near no options anymore... and feel like the best years of our lives are going by in the redundancy and indoors. I've lived in 5 states. Each one for a year or more. I've given it a fair shake. Whatever creams you're twinkie, i guess. It just dosen't do it for me, or him.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post16608837

I got the info from this post and the post that I quoted in my previous post. You did misinterpret what I was saying in one part though. I did not say that you thought your SO was smarter, I am saying that you think he is not. You made mention how you make him look like a fool and such, and that you don't know if you can stay with a guy like that. (previous quoted post)

In the post here, you say that he thinks A2 is the greatest place. I guess I assumed that means he loved it. No?

I did not say MI seasons were prettier here than any other state. Just that they are pretty. And they are. Very. If you look with eyes that seek that beauty. If you don't like a place, you may very well miss that. I think all the states have their own beauty.

I think more like 25/30 more sunny days. But, who's counting?

Quote:
also, many of my family/friends have left ny- but here's the thing... I EASILY make friends there. Here... it's so different. People seem "off" to me. It's like if you don't like football or want to talk about how awesome michigan or ann arbor is non stop you're an outsider. If you're not born here, you're an outsider. If you didn't go to U of M (oh Holy of Holies) you're an outsider. It's like um... "Why are you here?" sort of thing. I get it ALL THE TIME. And when they find out I'm an "Outsider" they don't like me. It's like people are just convincing themselves that this bubble is a happy place. It's not. I wish they'd wake up. I had a woman tonight- at a park- who only had said "hello" to- go on and on for minutes without any spurring from me- how ann arbor is the "best place to raise kids in the nation." Then went on to say there's no crime, that it's SO DIVERSE, the best schools, so many parks, etc... etc.... I'm thinking... we'll- that's alot of places. ALOT. I've BEEN to many of them. Then she assumed i was from here I guess, and asked me right out. (nosey, huh?) I told her I was from NYC area, and she immediately got MORE defensive. Like she was scared I'd break her facade down. It was weeeeird. And I see it in locals alot. It's like a weird clinging to a reality in their heads.... like a superiority complex of sorts. I never said NY was the "greatest" anything. I just said I was "from" there and it's diverse. I miss that. Diverse. Oh, and good food. REAL good food, that's not super expensive. Endless amounts of choices of everything.... and friendlier, more REAL people. This woman had only been there ONCE for 3 hours and went to... you guessed it... times square. If she'd lived there a few years, I'd totally listen to her. Otherwise, it's rather bias, no?
You easily make friends there because you like it better. You most likely give off a negative vibe to people and you probably don't even know it. How would people know unless you told them? Sounds a bit paranoid to me. I am pretty sure there are many "outsiders" in A2, some just jump in and become a part of where they are at the moment. Some don't. If you think you feel like an outsider, you oughta move to the UP!

5 states out of 50 is not "many" of them, IMO.

I am not picking on you for not liking MI. I told you I have my own dislikes about some of it. I was raised here and just within the last 3 years have been living back and forth btn here and NV. I like a lot of NV more. Some don't. It is much easier to leave sisters and brothers than it is to leave your children and grandchildren, regardless of how much more you like a state. Those things become bigger than that. At least to me. If I could get my kids to move to NV, I would be gone in a flash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow, hyperbole much?

Maybe the part of Ann Arbor where you live is the problem. I find it amusing when people attach personality types to entire populations. Honestly, I'm not a big UofM or MSU fan, and don't watch a lot of sports, so I think both Ann Arbor or East Lansing would drive me crazy.

Back to the topic at hand, I believe Michigan falls in the average as far as sunny days go. In fact, I think if you take out Dec - Feb, it's above average for sunny days (20 or 22 days a month).
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Well I hate to break it to you, but it's true:

Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

When you break out the low number of sunny days in Dec/Jan/Feb, it's right at the national average (using Detroit's numbers). May through September here is actually sunnier than the national average. The lakes don't usually affect cloud cover when the air is warm and the lakes are warm.

But I'm certainly not trying to convince you to like Ann Arbor. I find it a bit pretentious myself. Something about elitist hippies strikes me as odd.
You really have to put this in perspective. The link you used is interesting, but look closely and you will see:

The average number of Sunny Days for major American cities is the total days annually when the sky is mostly clear. This includes the days when cloud covers up to 30% of the sky during daylight hours. Partly Sunny Days have cloud covering from 40% to 70% of the sky during the daytime. The rest of the days during the year are mainly overcast, with at least 80% cloud cover. Total Days With Sun is a sum of the Sunny plus Partly Sunny days. All the numbers are averages for total days and were calculated from years of weather watching.

Partly sunny has cloud cover up to 70%? That is pretty much cloudy to me. So, I would just go by the Sunny Days. In that case, Detroit has 75 and NYC has 107. Not many out of 365, IMO. Especially compared to Las Vegas which has 210. That's what I am talking about! Everyone pretty much knows and agreed here that MI has a lot of gray days. Comes with the territory. You either like it or not. YOu learn to accept it and weigh it against the good you find here. Whether it is family, weather, recreation, arts, sports...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
Then don`t spread lies about the Michigan graveyard.Enough said!
You do realize that your response makes zero sense in reply to the post you quoted right?

Show where I am posting lies about Michigan. Post up some direct quotes where I am posting a lie with a link back to those posts if you could.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:42 PM

20 posts, read 33,768 times
Ha I just love how you assume I'm "not as smart" as my other half from MI.... only based on the fact that you assume he likes it here and I don't.... yeah- that's why all the "Smart" people graduate from U of M and MOVE. I know, I work with the students for 7 years now.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Ha I just love how you assume I'm "not as smart" as my other half from MI.... only based on the fact that you assume he likes it here and I don't.... yeah- that's why all the "Smart" people graduate from U of M and MOVE. I know, I work with the students for 7 years now.
Nobody has said that... although you are starting to prove that theory true, the more you post. What might help dispel that assumption, is punctuation and grammar.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,074,448 times
at least we always have the moon!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,645,654 times
Speaking of the moon, she is a beauty tonight! Check it out!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, for the second time....I did NOT say you think that you are "not as smart" as your SO, I said that, based on the following post, that you think YOU are smarter than your SO. Get it, now?

"He's a software engineer and remembers what I see as useless information- like actor's names, etc. He can't cook an egg. He has the absolute worst memory of any human being I know. He may be a scientist, but his intelligence is so limited, it's as if he's disabled when it comes to any other subject other than Science or sci-fi entertainment. I'm not formally college educated, (despite my 72 completed and near all "A" courses) but I work circles around him. I make all the decisions, figure out all the answers, and make him look like a fool, not intentionally- mind you- but I do, every day, repeatedly. Sometimes I think we "fill in eachother's gaps" like what other people mentioned- but the problem is, we can't communicate as equals. I comprehend, understand, figure out and remember far more than he does- leaving him in my dust most of the time, and frustrating the hell out of me because he's such an idiot most of the time. I can't stay with someone I can't have a basic conversation with, so I am looking at moving on, even though he is a really sweet, wonderful, nice but er... super slow guy. "

Your post. ^

Well, at least he is "sweet, wonderful and nice".

The SMART people don't move because of the physical state of MI, they move because we are hit hard, economically. DUH.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
Quote:
If you hate this state so much, why are you always on these Michigan forums? If I hate something I try to distance myself from it...maybe you should give it a try.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Speaking of the moon, she is a beauty tonight! Check it out!
It is. I hope there are some good photogs out there willing to share! I bet those up north shots are awesome tonight!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,636,088 times
Quote:
I live in Michigan. It's the fifth state I've lived in in my lifetime. I can't wait to leave. Not as bad as Indiana, but not NEARLY as good as NJ or NY. Been in MI for 8 years, explored, and gave it a fair shake. I just don't see anything so great about this state over any other. Minnesota is just as nice, if not nicer. Montana, nicer. Ohio, just as good, PA, prettier but not as good of schools- but at least near good cities. I've travelled the USA, this great country many times. MI is ok, but it's on the downslope. It's kinda a slow, boring flat place with not much to it. It's got low crime and low taxes and one good school. That's not enough for a lifetime for me or my family. Yes, snow can be fun, but not 6-7 months of cold bitter winters. Not for me, thanks. We're putting our condo up for sale and taking the 50% hit and moving out despite the good jobs we have. It's just too small here. And people are SO DEFENSIVE. If you don't like it here they are like "GET OUT!" They are from here, know it sucks but can't come to terms that they could be living better somewhere else. Everyone that's moved out that I know- is better and happier for it, and only comes to visit, and leaves the state happily behind. The only exception I know are people that have roots/family. They'll never leave. You'll have to pry them out with a crowbar. The reason being is that because there is nothing to do here- families stick like glue, and no one leaves for fear of separation. These are often the same types that cant' come to terms with the fact that the state leaves alot to be desired and defend this place tooth and nail. Whevs. I'm outtie. The survival of a few? Good point. Living here IS like survival... of the shut-ins. Of the "never leave homes." Of the "can't face the rest of the living, breathing world or any change whatsoever." Get used to taking LOTS OF VITAMIN D. You'll never see the sun, cept for the summers, you know when the mosquitos and humidity are so high you're inside? Yeah, then. Like I said- 5 states. This is #4 lowest for me. I wouldn't move here if someone paid me a million dollars. Really.

New York, the land of high taxes, higher property taxes, long and cold winters, and a poor overall state economy is better than Michigan ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan