Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM

98 posts, read 181,386 times

Advertisements

Any sane person should jump ship and leave Metro Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,956,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pifler View Post
Any sane person should jump ship and leave Metro Detroit.
And a lot have. But, that doesn't have anything to do with leaving MI.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,956,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
I live in Michigan. It's the fifth state I've lived in in my lifetime. I can't wait to leave. Not as bad as Indiana, but not NEARLY as good as NJ or NY. Been in MI for 8 years, explored, and gave it a fair shake. I just don't see anything so great about this state over any other. Minnesota is just as nice, if not nicer. Montana, nicer. Ohio, just as good, PA, prettier but not as good of schools- but at least near good cities. I've travelled the USA, this great country many times. MI is ok, but it's on the downslope. It's kinda a slow, boring flat place with not much to it. It's got low crime and low taxes and one good school. That's not enough for a lifetime for me or my family. Yes, snow can be fun, but not 6-7 months of cold bitter winters. Not for me, thanks. We're putting our condo up for sale and taking the 50% hit and moving out despite the good jobs we have. It's just too small here. And people are SO DEFENSIVE. If you don't like it here they are like "GET OUT!" They are from here, know it sucks but can't come to terms that they could be living better somewhere else. Everyone that's moved out that I know- is better and happier for it, and only comes to visit, and leaves the state happily behind. The only exception I know are people that have roots/family. They'll never leave. You'll have to pry them out with a crowbar. The reason being is that because there is nothing to do here- families stick like glue, and no one leaves for fear of separation. These are often the same types that cant' come to terms with the fact that the state leaves alot to be desired and defend this place tooth and nail. Whevs. I'm outtie. The survival of a few? Good point. Living here IS like survival... of the shut-ins. Of the "never leave homes." Of the "can't face the rest of the living, breathing world or any change whatsoever." Get used to taking LOTS OF VITAMIN D. You'll never see the sun, cept for the summers, you know when the mosquitos and humidity are so high you're inside? Yeah, then. Like I said- 5 states. This is #4 lowest for me. I wouldn't move here if someone paid me a million dollars. Really.
The "fickle" in your name seems to fit you well! I agree with some of what you say about MI. But, I have to say...you seem awful contradictory. You say that it bugs you that those who were raised in MI stay because there is nothing to do here-families stick like glue, no one leaves for fear of separation? Yet, in one of your previous posts you complain about being away from NY...your family...your friends. So, you DO know how that is. When you have a wonderful family and friends AND some good roots, it IS hard to leave that, no matter what. I know. I do it. And it stinks. Thing is, I could leave MI. I am not a fan of the weather, the people (other than those I love), the roads, the economy, the racial discord and a few other things. I have a home in Las Vegas. I love the heat, no flying bugs, the economy stinks there too but not for my husband's field of employment, love the mountains, the fact that I am close to so much unbelievable beauty...
but, leaving my kids and grandkids is gut-wrenching. I will have to do it eventually unless things turn here, economically.

Then, you go on to complain about how stupid your man is. That you may possibly leave him due to that. Really? Apparently, you decided to "dumb down" and hang in there. Kids can do that to you! I actually feel bad for the guy. Makes $100K a year, loves MI because he is from here, obviously cares for you? Fickle? Or worse. Nice:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...l#post12254088

People who live in MI and love it, they find things to do and enjoy about it. Since I don't like winters, I do mostly things inside during those months, and MI does offer many things to do inside! I do occasionally bundle up to enjoy some of the outdoor adventures, but less and less as time goes on. Winters can be long, sometimes 5 months. But, sometimes shorter. We do love our spring and fall. Spring gives you a break from winter and is so refreshing and pretty. My personal favorite season in MI. Fall gives you a break from summer, from the humidity and the bugs and it VERY pretty in MI. In the summer, people do enjoy camping, hiking, fishing in the plentiful lakes, swimming, picnicking, outdoor concerts, festivals, fairs...the list goes on and on. Not hard to find things to do in MI, AT ALL! So, for many...roots are important, traditions are important and family is important. I think you know that. Go home. Be happy. With or without the "super-slow guy".

Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 AM

20 posts, read 33,758 times
wish it was that easy. My dh is an engineer in a2 with a great job, he owns a condo that's upside down, and we had a baby in october. We're trying our best. I've been doing nothing but offload my stuff and fix the house for sale for the last 2 years. We just had realtors begin to come as of this week... hoping for this year.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 AM

I agree about not leaving family "no matter what." but here's the thing... if my family was in oklahoma, I'd leave them in a heartbeat. plane tickets are a beautiful thing. I won't sacrifice my life in a place with little opportunity, next to no sun, and no hopes just to see family. I can visit them often instead, and live where I'm happy and have opportunities to offer myself and family.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 AM

you brought up alot of stuff I didn't say. I didn't say anything about my SO. He's not "smarter" than me. He's the book worm math type, I'm the creative writer type. We're both honor students/scholarship material. He dosen't "love" michigan. He's an indoor guy. He does nothing really outside the house. That's just him. He wouldn't care if we were in alaska. He has no real affection for the state, you assumed that. You also assumed he was "smarter." you also assumed he's being dragged. That's not true either. I wouldn't want him to go if that was the case. That would be dumb. Also, he's moved from his family years ago- they live a few hours away. Yes, in MI still- but hours away. So he sees them- by choice- rarely. And sorry, spring, summer and fall are pretty EVERYWHERE. Yes, EVERYWHERE. There's not a single place that it isn't, so saying it's nice in Michigan is true, but not more so than montana, oklahoma, minnesota, new york, new jersey, ohio, pennsy, conneticut, and so on. Also, if he can make $100,000 here where I'm bored and miserable, he can easily make $125,000 in NYC where I won't be. He'll gain more $$$, experience, and a happier partner. Oh, and his kid will have every opportunity there is. And maybe, just maybe, we'll see the sun 76 more days a year, and winters won't be as bitter. And when weekends come, we won't have near no options anymore... and feel like the best years of our lives are going by in the redundancy and indoors. I've lived in 5 states. Each one for a year or more. I've given it a fair shake. Whatever creams you're twinkie, i guess. It just dosen't do it for me, or him.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:58 AM

also, many of my family/friends have left ny- but here's the thing... I EASILY make friends there. Here... it's so different. People seem "off" to me. It's like if you don't like football or want to talk about how awesome michigan or ann arbor is non stop you're an outsider. If you're not born here, you're an outsider. If you didn't go to U of M (oh Holy of Holies) you're an outsider. It's like um... "Why are you here?" sort of thing. I get it ALL THE TIME. And when they find out I'm an "Outsider" they don't like me. It's like people are just convincing themselves that this bubble is a happy place. It's not. I wish they'd wake up. I had a woman tonight- at a park- who only had said "hello" to- go on and on for minutes without any spurring from me- how ann arbor is the "best place to raise kids in the nation." Then went on to say there's no crime, that it's SO DIVERSE, the best schools, so many parks, etc... etc.... I'm thinking... we'll- that's alot of places. ALOT. I've BEEN to many of them. Then she assumed i was from here I guess, and asked me right out. (nosey, huh?) I told her I was from NYC area, and she immediately got MORE defensive. Like she was scared I'd break her facade down. It was weeeeird. And I see it in locals alot. It's like a weird clinging to a reality in their heads.... like a superiority complex of sorts. I never said NY was the "greatest" anything. I just said I was "from" there and it's diverse. I miss that. Diverse. Oh, and good food. REAL good food, that's not super expensive. Endless amounts of choices of everything.... and friendlier, more REAL people. This woman had only been there ONCE for 3 hours and went to... you guessed it... times square. If she'd lived there a few years, I'd totally listen to her. Otherwise, it's rather bias, no?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM

Ugh. and don't get me started on flint, jackson... DETROIT. It's over people... let's move on and be happy. Move gramma into the sun and let her enjoy flowers sun and blue skies for more than 3 months.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 AM

864 posts, read 1,722,812 times
I got a kick out of this thread title since I'm always telling people at work here about the lack of sun in MI (except in summer); we've termed it "perma-gloom". It's almost always sunny here in southern NM so people just take it for granted. The crazy people here like the rain.

We got 4 inches of snow here in Feb and the entire state was declared a state of emergency and we had rolling blackouts for 2-3 days. This wouldn't have even been a storm in MI. The long dark winters are a killer in MI. It's more the lack of sunlight than the cold/snow for me but you can easily get used to the lack of that too.

I like MI but only because I was raised there and my family is still there. The state varies a lot in both climate and people depending on where you are. The things that I think the state has going for it are: low cost of living, above average wages, cheap housing, lots of lakes (you can take that for granted), and good summer weather. The poor job situation and the winter weather/lack of sunshine are kind of a deal breaker though. I think a lot of MI residents would be better off moving elsewhere whether they know it or not.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM

54 posts, read 120,892 times
I've lived in MI for 35 years and we have recently left the state for a better financial situation. Times are rough all over for a lot of people right now but there are good people in MI, there are things to do in MI, the state and people are unique to other parts of the country and we are reminded of this every time we go back. You've got to find happiness within yourself no matter where your feet are.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. - Dalai Lama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan