Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get outside, she is making an appearance today. (Hurry up though - weather in michigan changes by the minute).

By the way did anyone notice the incredible sunset in Metro Detroit earlier this week? It was one of those remember forever sunsets really spectacular. You do not get those out west for some reason at least not in So Cal. Maybe the weather guy can tell us why.
That's the good thing about Michigan people. When the sun makes an appearance, Michigan people really appreciate it. They get outdoors, they're happy, they're out doing yard work.

That's the part I miss. I live where it rarely rains, there are almost never clouds, the sun is brightly shining just about every day and people just take it for granted. You don't see anyone outdoors appreciating it like it's special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,956,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's the good thing about Michigan people. When the sun makes an appearance, Michigan people really appreciate it. They get outdoors, they're happy, they're out doing yard work.

That's the part I miss. I live where it rarely rains, there are almost never clouds, the sun is brightly shining just about every day and people just take it for granted. You don't see anyone outdoors appreciating it like it's special.
True. There they appreciate the cloudy days and the rain! In MI, those are not as appreciated!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,871,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
True. There they appreciate the cloudy days and the rain! In MI, those are not as appreciated!
I love the rain. Not necessarily cold rain, but a good summer rain can't be beat.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 PM

20 posts, read 33,758 times
I live in Michigan. It's the fifth state I've lived in in my lifetime. I can't wait to leave. Not as bad as Indiana, but not NEARLY as good as NJ or NY. Been in MI for 8 years, explored, and gave it a fair shake. I just don't see anything so great about this state over any other. Minnesota is just as nice, if not nicer. Montana, nicer. Ohio, just as good, PA, prettier but not as good of schools- but at least near good cities. I've travelled the USA, this great country many times. MI is ok, but it's on the downslope. It's kinda a slow, boring flat place with not much to it. It's got low crime and low taxes and one good school. That's not enough for a lifetime for me or my family. Yes, snow can be fun, but not 6-7 months of cold bitter winters. Not for me, thanks. We're putting our condo up for sale and taking the 50% hit and moving out despite the good jobs we have. It's just too small here. And people are SO DEFENSIVE. If you don't like it here they are like "GET OUT!" They are from here, know it sucks but can't come to terms that they could be living better somewhere else. Everyone that's moved out that I know- is better and happier for it, and only comes to visit, and leaves the state happily behind. The only exception I know are people that have roots/family. They'll never leave. You'll have to pry them out with a crowbar. The reason being is that because there is nothing to do here- families stick like glue, and no one leaves for fear of separation. These are often the same types that cant' come to terms with the fact that the state leaves alot to be desired and defend this place tooth and nail. Whevs. I'm outtie. The survival of a few? Good point. Living here IS like survival... of the shut-ins. Of the "never leave homes." Of the "can't face the rest of the living, breathing world or any change whatsoever." Get used to taking LOTS OF VITAMIN D. You'll never see the sun, cept for the summers, you know when the mosquitos and humidity are so high you're inside? Yeah, then. Like I said- 5 states. This is #4 lowest for me. I wouldn't move here if someone paid me a million dollars. Really.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,353,097 times
LOL, that's why we now live in Florida

Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
I live in Michigan. It's the fifth state I've lived in in my lifetime. I can't wait to leave.
You've been saying the same thing for 2 years already, just move and be done with it.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Okay, I'm no meteorologist, but if the reason for Michigan's gray, cloudy weather is our proximity to, and actually being surrounded by, the Great Lakes, then why is Florida not cloudy as well, since it is also a peninsula surrounded by water on three sides?
Florida has a definite rainy season- the summer when we'll get almost daily rainstorms coming in off the Gulf/ocean. Usually it'll be a 15-20 minute soaker and then it gets sunny again, but extended inch of rain an hour storms are pretty common events.

It's just not during the usual winter and spring break timeframe so outsiders don't see that part of state climate so much.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,908,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theficklefox View Post
I live in Michigan. It's the fifth state I've lived in in my lifetime. I can't wait to leave. Not as bad as Indiana, but not NEARLY as good as NJ or NY. Been in MI for 8 years, explored, and gave it a fair shake. I just don't see anything so great about this state over any other. Minnesota is just as nice, if not nicer. Montana, nicer. Ohio, just as good, PA, prettier but not as good of schools- but at least near good cities. I've travelled the USA, this great country many times. MI is ok, but it's on the downslope. It's kinda a slow, boring flat place with not much to it. It's got low crime and low taxes and one good school. That's not enough for a lifetime for me or my family. Yes, snow can be fun, but not 6-7 months of cold bitter winters. Not for me, thanks. We're putting our condo up for sale and taking the 50% hit and moving out despite the good jobs we have. It's just too small here. And people are SO DEFENSIVE. If you don't like it here they are like "GET OUT!" They are from here, know it sucks but can't come to terms that they could be living better somewhere else. Everyone that's moved out that I know- is better and happier for it, and only comes to visit, and leaves the state happily behind. The only exception I know are people that have roots/family. They'll never leave. You'll have to pry them out with a crowbar. The reason being is that because there is nothing to do here- families stick like glue, and no one leaves for fear of separation. These are often the same types that cant' come to terms with the fact that the state leaves alot to be desired and defend this place tooth and nail. Whevs. I'm outtie. The survival of a few? Good point. Living here IS like survival... of the shut-ins. Of the "never leave homes." Of the "can't face the rest of the living, breathing world or any change whatsoever." Get used to taking LOTS OF VITAMIN D. You'll never see the sun, cept for the summers, you know when the mosquitos and humidity are so high you're inside? Yeah, then. Like I said- 5 states. This is #4 lowest for me. I wouldn't move here if someone paid me a million dollars. Really.
Cool for you. I love Michigan!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM

374 posts, read 760,484 times
I moved to SE Michigan from Eastern Iowa. I definitely noticed the difference in sunshine and longer winters. I didn't think there would be that big of a difference since Iowa has some harsh winters too. I really had a hard time adjusting to winter here. Winter here is darker, longer and harsher than in Iowa. I love the summers here though! Great for running and biking and just being outdoors.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,908,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
I love the summers here though! Great for running and biking and just being outdoors.
Yup. If you hate cloudy cold weather, and cant go more then a week at times without seeing the sun...you will not like Michigan. But for most people that live in Michigan...and all you gotta do is ask them...our summers will beat just about any other place in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan