Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM

46 posts, read 61,700 times

Advertisements

Con is our long brutal winters. Our major cities in my opinion aren't anything special though still very nice (the nicer parts of Detroit, East Lansing

I love our nature, our summers and falls, the lakes the outdoor living like fishing and hunting. We have all that without being a stereotypical "red neck" state though I live in East Lansing so perhaps I haven't been exposed to those parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 PM

864 posts, read 1,722,058 times
I'm in Los Alamos, NM - elevation 7355ft. We have a cool semi-arid climate versus Michigan's humid continental climate. The summer weather is very similar to MI but with a lot less humidity. The winter weather is a LOT different. Reverse the cloud/sun ratios and you're probably close. We still get snow -- just not very much. It feels a lot warmer even when the temperature isn't because of the sun. I consider NM part of the sunbelt so don't think its just Phoenix, AZ. The downside here is not the heat but the dryness and the fire danger that it can cause. That clean air and clear sky can become a smoky mess. In the south, it's the dust -- you get a really windy day and you got a dust storm.

I've been in NM for over 5 years -- both in the south and now the north and the weather is just better. I miss Michigan's lakes but not the weather. More sunshine and low humidity is a net win. The fall is especially nice here and lasts months rather than weeks.

Michigan's winter weather is a CON. The worst part of it is the lack of sunshine rather than just the cold and snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
The sunbelter's defense of their weather is laughable at times. Deep down they know the criticism has merit but simply don't want to admit it. In defense of heavy traffic I don't see the problem ... traffic means jobs and MI remains stuck at #4 in highest unemployment after all these years.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM

62 posts, read 133,302 times
I agree with Sparrow_temp. I have lived in Michigan all my life, but I get to travel and I do
especially during the winter.

Pros: Clean fresh air, The Great Lakes and beautiful woods.
Cons: Terrible roads, long, gray, and cold winters. Spring is just an extension of winter.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:35 AM

19 posts, read 48,128 times
For anyone coming back to this post, heres my 2 cents

We moved from Southern California to Grand Blanc, MI over a year ago and LOVE it.
For anyone coming back to this post, heres an UPDATE:

We moved to Grand Blanc, so I'm just about 10 miles or less from Flint, my Mom lives right by campus and it takes me about 20 minutes or less to get to her house. My kids are at Grand Blanc schools and we are in a great neighborhood off Baldwin and Saginaw. I love it here! It was worth living a bit outside of Flint to have the great school district. Grand Blanc is a very family friendly neighborhood. We live in a fairly mixed subdivision. I faired my first Winter here too, lol! This California girl is VERY happy in Michigan! Of course I miss the sun and warmth every day, but the quality of life here is really great. I have 4 small kids, so being able to do things with them in an area that isn't jam packed with people is so nice. Theres no traffic. We joined the Genesys Athletic Club and thats an amazing place with baby sitting every other Saturday night! I've never been on so many dates with my husband! I can't say enough great things about this area. I could understand once kids get to high school age theres not much to do for them. I think that may change over the years, but I do think the 18-30 year old age range thats single and looking for things to do would be bored here. But Ann Arbor is a 40 minute drive. So is Troy. We like going to both of those areas when we feel a little "Stuck" and are searching for some more places to eat or shop. But overall, the move was great and we are very happy! I'm 33, a stay at home mom with a 7yr, 5yr, 3yr and 1yr old. I like to shop and eat good food and this place works great for our family!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
We too are mostly happy about moving from So. Cal. Funny thing is my wife wanted to move back in part because she found the weather interminably boring. I used to say "What? Perfect every day is not good for you?" and she would say "No. Not only is there no change in weather during the day, but almost no change day to day, except horrible dry, hot, asthmatic, Santa Ana winds in the fall. Haze until 11 a.m. then unrelenting sun. Temperatures hardly vary week to week and no thunderstorms, no snow, no puffy clouds, no lightening. Just haze and clear empty sky - boring."

I never really adopted that perspective. Perfect every day is still great to me and I loved the Santa Ana winds, but I do enjoy the other benefits of being here, and I have to admit, the storms are really cool. Puffy clouds too. Dramatic weather/temperature changes 4 times a day - that I could do without.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 13,332 times
I lived in Michigan my entire life until recently. It's a beautiful state with amazing summers. If you can handle the winters, the spring/summer/fall months are totally worth it. And if you're into skiing or snowboarding, then you'll enjoy the powder. I would suggest having a basement or access to one, since tornadoes and strong thunderstorms are a thing. I miss it already and plan to move back

Old 10-31-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoSunSpin View Post
And if you're into skiing or snowboarding, then you'll enjoy the powder. I would suggest having a basement or access to one, since tornadoes and strong thunderstorms are a thing. I miss it already and plan to move back
This is discussing Michigan. I do not think we have any skiing with powder snow. In fact, we do not have any real skiing at all. Maybe there is something up in the porcupine mts. Could you have the wrong state? Tornadoes are also very rare here, although they do happen once in a while, natural disasters are really not much of a concern in Michigan. (Unless you get stuck in big snow and are unprepared.)

Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
I'm in Los Alamos, NM - elevation 7355ft. We have a cool semi-arid climate versus Michigan's humid continental climate. The summer weather is very similar to MI but with a lot less humidity. The winter weather is a LOT different. Reverse the cloud/sun ratios and you're probably close. We still get snow -- just not very much. It feels a lot warmer even when the temperature isn't because of the sun. I consider NM part of the sunbelt so don't think its just Phoenix, AZ. The downside here is not the heat but the dryness and the fire danger that it can cause. That clean air and clear sky can become a smoky mess. In the south, it's the dust -- you get a really windy day and you got a dust storm.

I've been in NM for over 5 years -- both in the south and now the north and the weather is just better. I miss Michigan's lakes but not the weather. More sunshine and low humidity is a net win. The fall is especially nice here and lasts months rather than weeks.

Michigan's winter weather is a CON. The worst part of it is the lack of sunshine rather than just the cold and snow.
Are there trees and water in Los Alamos? The parts of NM I have been to are basically treeless and nearly waterless. However I am not sure I have been to any parts that get snow. Except maybe Sante Fe, does it snow there?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,905,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is discussing Michigan. I do not think we have any skiing with powder snow. In fact, we do not have any real skiing at all. Maybe there is something up in the porcupine mts. Could you have the wrong state? Tornadoes are also very rare here, although they do happen once in a while, natural disasters are really not much of a concern in Michigan. (Unless you get stuck in big snow and are unprepared.)
I know there is Mt. Bohemia in the U.P. I think there are a few others.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I know there is Mt. Bohemia in the U.P. I think there are a few others.
10.6 hours away! I would guess there are other ski mountains in other states that are closer - not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan