Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 AM

239 posts, read 672,743 times

Advertisements

I have posted some queries regarding good schools in Miami in addition to doing a lot of my own research. I think Palmetto is the place we would like to move. I work in the Gables and my DH works downtown.

Okay...so now the question...where do all the people who live in Palmetto work? Is it reasonable to drive to and from the Gables/downtown to home on a daily basis. We currently live in South Miami/Kendall (hate it) and don't even like that commute. I know people move there for the school but will I be spending my days rushing back and forth to make it to the school in time? Is the pay off to be in a nice family friendly neighborhood and great school worth the daily traffic aggravation. What route do you take to the Gables and DT? How bad is it really? Thank you in advance for your honest opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,510,489 times
People live and commute to work where ever the job is for the most part. I used to commute 1.5 one way to a job years ago, then after that job I got a job that was 1hr from home one way. Then the next job I got a job that was 15 minutes from my house. Now I have less than a 15 sec commute, home office . At the third job I realized how many hours I was wasting in my previous jobs, just sitting in traffic. Life is to short to spend many hours in bumper to bumper traffic. Try to get a house close to your work. Maybe you will have to compromise on some things, but the time you will be spending with friends and family is more important, IMO.

As far as the route from the Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay area, you don't have many options to the Gables or downtown. US1 is probably the best way for the Gables, then get off at Ponce. For downtown, US1 and Old Cutler Road are your best bets. There are some cut through streets that you could learn. Downtown ride will be a min of 1 hour on a good day, if not 1.5 hours one way in reg rush hour.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks Doggiebus. I think I knew the answer but was hoping for a miracle . I just can't seem to find a place here that works for us. It seems that for every plus there is an equally compelling negative. I just want a nice family neighorhood, with a GREATschool and reasonable comute. I just have to decide where to compromise I guess.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 AM

763 posts, read 3,539,512 times
Actually, you could still be able to live near Palmetto Bay (don't know if it's within the school district you want persay, but...) if you can find a house close to the Dadeland South Metrorail station. Then, you can avoid the traffic on US-1 and simply take Metrorail to Downtown or Miracle Mile and you'd be in Downtown in about 20 minutes from Dadeland South Station to Gov't Center or about 30 minutes from Dadeland South Station to Douglas Rd Station via the Gables trolley (free) and Metrorail. Driving is doable but it's a pain, and why drive when Metrorail runs right over you for faster and much cheaper?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,073,043 times
I grew up near Palmetto. The school is great, but still has it's share of problems. They had a shooting many years ago and they are not immune from the typical problems that plague EVERY high school. Maybe that is the reason my parents sent me to Columbus instead. Anyhow, you and your hubby could always take the metro-rail to work ? You can get off at the coral gables exit and he can take the metro mover from government center. Just a thought. By the way, your commute is NOT THAT BAD. I know people that drive all the way to Ft.Lauderdale and live in Sunniland/Pincrest/Falls area.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

FYI: Metro is not an option for us as we have to do school pick ups and drop offs and always need to have a car for any school emergencies or meetings. We do drive environmentally friendly cars though.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM

710 posts, read 2,238,598 times
Every morning (and I do mean EVERY) I make the short commute from my house near UM to Pinecrest. 2x per day. I personally take the back roads to Kendall Drive then cut west.
It's not that bad and beautiful.

Getting back WITH traffic in the morning is slightly less fun, but it isn't bad. People basically drive pretty sanely, contrary to popular myth people do let other drivers ALL THE TIME, and it's a really pleasant drive. Just take your time and enjoy the drive.

FOR ME, whenever I can avoid US(eless)1, I'm happier, even if it takes me just a bit longer.
Need to run to get the kids again! It's GORGEOUS out; not too tough to take!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 45,837 times
Default Living in Palmetto Bay

We are also looking to move to Palmetto Bay (work in Coral Gables as well). We are okay with the high school there - may consider private.
What I would like to know is if anyone lives there and how they like it... the people...recreation... community...etc. We looked at Weston area , but I am not too hot on that town - the drive there from CG was boring and long even with no traffic!
We like the idea of being closer to the water and all the activities in CG, Coconut Grove, So Beach etc. Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM

710 posts, read 2,238,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml3 View Post
We are also looking to move to Palmetto Bay (work in Coral Gables as well). We are okay with the high school there - may consider private.
What I would like to know is if anyone lives there and how they like it... the people...recreation... community...etc. We looked at Weston area , but I am not too hot on that town - the drive there from CG was boring and long even with no traffic!
We like the idea of being closer to the water and all the activities in CG, Coconut Grove, So Beach etc. Any thoughts?
Remember Matheson Hammock has ocean/bay access is is RIGHT THERE. A Miami gem IMHO. You could get a small boat, park it at home and trailer it in. You'll spend more time waiting for the boat ramp than driving there!

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,079,219 times
I think many people do that commute. You can also take the back streets (old cutler rd etc) to US1. US1 would be your best bet. Unless there is an accident, the traffic is not that bad. I went to Palmetto actually, it's not a perfect school but it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami