Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote
Yes... 8 24.24%
No.... 9 27.27%
Too early to tell... 6 18.18%
I have mixed feelings... 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times

Advertisements

I've lived there for several years, on that complex with that actual name - the complex on/and near Panera Bread, Lime, Chili's, etc. It was better in the earlier years, but as a place to live it's not great at all nowadays.

Decent and good enough overall that little area though. It would be much better if they did everything that was on the first concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
NEVER FORGET

Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
NEVER FORGET
Rome wasn't built in a day.

New York City, just for example, has around four centuries of history, that's four hundred years, count them one at a time, four hundred. And that during an era when the north Atlantic has been the center of the world.

Miami has only about a century, and we live in a new era. It's still very early days.

If globalization fails, if Latin America fails to develop a stable consumer class, then Miami could also be a relative failure.

But if it succeeds, Miami could be the gem of the Atlantic, and Dadeland is the final node on its most strategic corridor.

It's still very early days.

Good Luck!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM

31 posts, read 49,316 times
Never been but seems like the right direction as far as Transit oriented Development. The retail is as it is thru most of So Fl. Sluggish. I love that they have attempted to create a pedestrian friendly, transit oriented development in the heart of a suburban sprawl type of area. The URBANIZATION of Dade County continues

Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
The Dadeland center reminds me of some of the outer cities in D.C. I saw those cities get better in only 4 years. If prices go back up in Downtown like they have been it will be good for Dadeland. Those D.C. edge city suburbs are actually fairly nice and some of them have a good urban feel to them with there own "downtown" districts with places to eat shop etc.. Give it time and Dadeland will have to get there at somepoint. It is a matter of how long not really if. Look at what has happened to South Miami. If only there could be some more urban development there instead.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
Downtown Dadeland is relatively new and too early to call it a failure. The problem with that area is that they are asking too much for rent real estate and retail space. I checked rents there for condos and are close to rents in Brickell, it doesn't make sence. Brickell hast its upscale and vibrant reputation and downtown Dadeland honestly has nothing to do there after hours. Where would you rent is the prices are similar?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Downtown Dadeland is relatively new and too early to call it a failure. The problem with that area is that they are asking too much for rent real estate and retail space. I checked rents there for condos and they are close to rents in Brickell, it doesn't make sense. Brickell has its upscale and vibrant reputation and downtown Dadeland honestly has nothing to do there after hours. Where would you rent if the prices are similar?
It makes sense because, despite the financing debacle, in real terms there is still a dearth of quality condos available along Miami's most strategic corridor, and people are paying a premium to live in one of them, especially to rent.

In the Dadeland area, walkable to two metrorail stations, not to mention Dadeland Mall, a Publix, a super Target and a bunch of other useful retail (unlike Brickell, by the way), you have not only people who may commute to downtown/Brickell, but also University of Miami students and visiting researchers/professors, maybe even Miami Airport nowadays, as well as people who work in Dadeland itself. That's a relatively large pool of potential renters for relatively few condos actually available.

Finally, as doggiebus mentions, some of the beer places can get crowded at night, and I've even heard of noise complaints from people living in the building "Downtown Dadeland" where the beer places and some restaurants are located at ground level, I believe.

Again, not a stellar success, but not a failure either. It's still early days.

For example, there is a medical building that seems to be struggling. It may be interesting if one day that turned into a branch of MDCC, library, perhaps an extension of UoM, community center, or somesuch.

Another example, some people complain about lack of parking: the Toscano, I believe, has a ground-only parking lot just west of it, looks kind of dumb and ugly actually, maybe one day they could built a multi-story parking garage.

Anyway, it is a small area, but there is still some room for filling out, and with useful amenities.

Wait till next cycle, Bandini.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
It's a good start, but give it 5-10 years. ^^^ It is walking distance to many amenities with plenty of room for more, not to mention Metrorail access to nearby UM, but it does need to be better integrated with the surroundings. For example, Let's start with a decent walkway and overpasses to the Dadeland Mall and across US1. Parking has been mentioned as a downside, but I think the Datran office complex and Metrorail garages could eventually be used for people driving in for the evening, not to mention copious parking at Dadeland Mall (needs a pedestrian overpass, though).

Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
It's a good start, but give it 5-10 years. ^^^ It is walking distance to many amenities with plenty of room for more, not to mention Metrorail access to nearby UM, but it does need to be better integrated with the surroundings. For example, Let's start with a decent walkway and overpasses to the Dadeland Mall and across US1. Parking has been mentioned as a downside, but I think the Datran office complex and Metrorail garages could eventually be used for people driving in for the evening, not to mention copious parking at Dadeland Mall (needs a pedestrian overpass, though).
It will be interesting to see if a county government can handle all this. With no city government Dadeland is at the mercy of MDC which could present a problem in the future.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It will be interesting to see if a county government can handle all this. With no city government Dadeland is at the mercy of MDC which could present a problem in the future.
A good point indeed. I seriously doubt you'd see much walkability improvement from the County or FDOT. It would be interesting to see an incorporated Kendall with the "Dadeland triangle" as the center of activity. The area wouldn't seem to fit in to Pinecrest, so it would almost have to be it's own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami