Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:45 AM

25 posts, read 86,929 times

Advertisements

I have read almost everything in the Miami forum but I haven’t seen many comments about the Downtown Dadeland area being developed around the Dadeland Mall (apologies if I missed something).

I am from Connecticut and my wife and I are trying to identify a city / area for a future retirement or second home. We live in Connecticut now. Although I am only 40 with 2 young kids, we want to identify a place early so that we can visit and become familiar with it for several years before actually making a move or purchase.

I am an American white guy and my wife is from China. I speak Spanish and we like the Latin culture. We have our eye on the Downtown Dadeland area because it appears that you can walk to stores/restaurants and also take the train downtown and someday to the airport. We do not need night life. We do NOT like the beach. We plan on spending the hot summers elsewhere (not in Miami).

Dadeland sounds perfect but some of the threads here make me concerned. We will be visiting for 4 days at Christmas time and any comments on this specific area or the developments there would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Downtown Dadeland isn't much of a downtown, it is more like densly packed mini highrises in front of suburban Dadeland Mall, with long range plans to densify the area through multi-use buildings.

There isn't much street culture in the area, as there are no shade trees, and the area is bordered by two freeways (Palmetto and US 1) and Kendall Drive to the north. It is very noisy and congested, not a place you will find many retirees.

It is more for young urban professionals who commute to downtown I would think...

That airport extension for Metrotrail most likely won't happen while you are still alive, so don't let that be too much of a factor.

Also, the Dadeland area is chain store heavan, so keep that in mind....you will be walking to suburban type stores as opposed to charming, small, trendy neighborhood shops.

I think Miami is a tough place to retire due to the fast pace, but if you insist, check out Aventura near Turnberry golf course...you can walk to the mall and the area, although congested, has several little parks, golf courses and green space.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Chelito pretty much explained it. Why are you looking at Miami? Not places like NC, SC, TN, Northern Florida, The Florida Keys?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
My parents live in Miami and are getting ready to retire and they are looking to get out! But everyone's preference is different.

To me, downtown Dadeland was a very bad idea. The idea was really that people who live there wouldn't need cars, but the sad fact is that you do need a care no matter where you live in Miami. The density in the Dadeland area is a very bad thing, because all these people are bringing cars with them to an already crowded and highly congested area.

Chelito did a good job of summing up what the area is actually like. I personally think the South Miami area is much more interesting, but there aren't any high rise condos around there.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info. To answer doggiebus, we are considering Miami due to the ease of travelling to South America and the fact that we don't want the quiet, resort golf type retirement, rather something urban and energetic. Chelito, great summary...I took a look at the Google Maps sattellite view and I see what you mean. Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Gottcha. I would look at other parts of South Florida if you want energetic or urban. Hell you might want to consider downtown Miami. It has all those high rises. And the prices on them will be coming down in the next few years. I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent place to live right now, but as a vacation home for what you are looking for it might work. And when you retire in 15-20 years the area will be much different (hopefully much nicer) than it is today.

Have you thought about Coral Gables, there are some new highrises that are with in walking distance to restaurants, bars, shops, etc...The price in this area will be higher than downtown or east kendall, but it has more of what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh3d View Post
Thanks for the info. To answer doggiebus, we are considering Miami due to the ease of travelling to South America and the fact that we don't want the quiet, resort golf type retirement, rather something urban and energetic. Chelito, great summary...I took a look at the Google Maps sattellite view and I see what you mean. Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Yes, after reading many of the posts here I saw that Coral Gables seems pretty nice.

Regarding downtown, are there places to walk to? I have the impression that it's high rises only with not much else (sort of like what the NYC financial district used to be years ago). Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,236 times
Smile Not a good idea...

I live close to that area and there are a few things to consider. The most noticeable is that 3/4 of the buildings are empty, no tenants. No one is buying at this moment. You might be the only tenant on your floor! Honestly to live in almost empty building is creepy to me. The buildings are tall and very closley packed next to each other so do not expect much sunlight in some units.
I saw a few models and , yes, they are nice but priced over $300,000 for a 2 bedroom excluding association, maintenance, fees, etc. The fees can add up to paying a mortgage. The area has no view what so ever, unless you like looking at highways, your neighbor's windows or roof tops. They are putting in stores and restaurants on the ground level of the buildings but that has been a slow process.
In addition, they are also building tall office complexes right next door as part of that area's development which will add more congestion.
Honestly I would consider Coral Gables and South Miami as an option. Please note, Miami has very high taxes and home insurance. Coral Gables has one of the highest property taxes in South Florida. You will need to add that in.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 29,407 times
I live and work as a realtor in this neigbhorhood. It is an excellent location (close to freeways, world class shops including Saks and Nordstroms, 20 minutes to everywhere). It does attract young professionals and grad students because of the price point and proximity to UM. Compared to Coral Gables, the prices are reasonable. It is not a bad choice for temporary residence. Again, it's a great "location".

Have you thought about Coconut Grove?
[ad cut]

Last edited by Administrator; 10-04-2007 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: [ad cut]

Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,699 times
I used to live in downtown Dadeland and it would be perfect for a young person who is working either in the area or even downtown Miami due to the mass transit readily available. I would not consider retiring there, though, as there is nothing to do but shop.

Based on wanting more of an urban energetic theme, I would look at downtown Miami, Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Hallandale Beach and Downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami