Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdadeguy View Post
I'm replying to to this thread after reading some xenophobic and slight racist/culturally insensitive statements. Life is what you make of it and I would suggest that you immerse yourself in the local culture, have your child learn Spanish (she will be smarter and more competitive later on), and enjoy the experience. Learn as much as you can and leave out what you dislike.

That being said, I am going to be brutally honest.

South Florida is a racially and culturally segregated society. You will find that the majority of professional nonhispanic whites either commute from Broward or live in enclaves such as Coral Gables, Hammocks, Cutler Ridge and some outlying areas of Miami Shores, and Kendall, for the most part.

If you're working-class, then more than likely you will end up in Davie, Cooper City, and parts of Plantation.

Weston is expensive. You will not find a house in Weston for less than 400k. You may find a condo, or a foreclosure for less.

West Plantation is a similar story, although there is a more diverse housing market there.

Private school is a good option if you've got the resources (16K plus for tuition).

Best private schools are around the Coral Gables and South Miami area. Plantation has the Heritage School which is top-notch prep academy (they hire faculty form state colleges to manage their advance placement programs). One of my colleagues was a history professor and he taught there while also teaching at Barry University, and FIU. Most graduates place high and end up at the ivies.

I would avoid the beaches. The beaches are not family friendly and comes with its own culture shock too: Gays and Jews/Israelis, Russian, and rich South Americans. If you're a 'family values' person then you will undoubtedly avoid the beaches...

You have a lot of research to do and think about if you're going to move to S. FL. Perhaps as some other members have suggested, the West Pembroke Pines, Miramar area is more of a good fit for you and your family, but if you're looking to escape the culture clash (stay in a lilly white environment), unless you have a huge budget to segregate yourself in an enclave and send your child to private school, then that is going to be nearly impossible to do.

PS. I went to school in Miami Lakes and I did just fine...if you choose Miami Lakes your child will either end up in Goleman or Hialeah Miami Lakes. Goleman is a better option. The school board busses students from Carol City to desegregate Hialeah Miami Lakes. Your child will go to school in a very 'urban' environment there.
"have your child learn Spanish (she will be smarter and more competitive later on)"

Learn Spanish? Strange how you select that over Chinese, Arabic, Russian, etc, more BS. The learn Spanish crowd forever wants English speakers to learn Spanish so immigrant Spanish speakers do not have to learn English. You did not even Portuguese, the language of the largest economy in South America.

"u will find that the majority of professional nonhispanic whites either commute from Broward or live in enclaves such as Coral Gables, Hammocks, Cutler Ridge and some outlying areas of Miami Shores, and Kendall, for the most part."

Or you can say that non-whites do not like living with whites, so that is why there are these segregated areas with a majority whites in it. Strange how you did not mention black enclaves or the differing Hispanic enclaves. Whites only like to segregate themselves?

"If you're working-class, then more than likely you will end up in Davie, Cooper City, and parts of Plantation."

I imagine you will find people who work everywhere.

You state this;

"I would avoid the beaches. The beaches are not family friendly and comes with its own culture shock too: Gays and Jews/Israelis, Russian, and rich South Americans. If you're a 'family values' person then you will undoubtedly avoid the beaches..."

Then state this;

"I'm replying to to this thread after reading some xenophobic and slight racist/culturally insensitive statements. Life is what you make of it and I would suggest that you immerse yourself in the local culture,"

A little bit of a hypocrite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
I was bright, smart and intelligent, and I had to deal with the riff raff, and my school was an almost all white school in a small town in Colorado.

Race is irrelevant. Schools are structured like prisons and the teachers (guards) take no pains to make sure that the students are not bullied.

Once again, my recommendation against her putting her 11 year old daughter in this particular school system is not because I have anything against the dominant culture. It's because she would stick out like a clownsuit in a funeral, and If those schools have a bullying problem, that would make her a target.

Like I said, if the daughter was enthusiastic about moving, and excited about learning a new culture, then I would say "go". But she's not. I see a recipe for trauma.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"have your child learn Spanish (she will be smarter and more competitive later on)"

Learn Spanish? Strange how you select that over Chinese, Arabic, Russian, etc, more BS. The learn Spanish crowd forever wants English speakers to learn Spanish so immigrant Spanish speakers do not have to learn English. You did not even Portuguese, the language of the largest economy in South America.

"u will find that the majority of professional nonhispanic whites either commute from Broward or live in enclaves such as Coral Gables, Hammocks, Cutler Ridge and some outlying areas of Miami Shores, and Kendall, for the most part."

Or you can say that non-whites do not like living with whites, so that is why there are these segregated areas with a majority whites in it. Strange how you did not mention black enclaves or the differing Hispanic enclaves. Whites only like to segregate themselves?

"If you're working-class, then more than likely you will end up in Davie, Cooper City, and parts of Plantation."

I imagine you will find people who work everywhere.

You state this;

"I would avoid the beaches. The beaches are not family friendly and comes with its own culture shock too: Gays and Jews/Israelis, Russian, and rich South Americans. If you're a 'family values' person then you will undoubtedly avoid the beaches..."

Then state this;

"I'm replying to to this thread after reading some xenophobic and slight racist/culturally insensitive statements. Life is what you make of it and I would suggest that you immerse yourself in the local culture,"

A little bit of a hypocrite?

Number 1: Why not learn Spanish? Hispanics are the largest growing minority group, she will be well served when applying for a job that requires bilingual proficiency (has nothing to do with facilitating the myth that immigrants refuse to learn English. If you want to function in this economy, at least locally, you need to learn both languages. There is no excuse for not learning Spanish as an elective in school, which will enrich the kid, especially if she decides to take another romance-based language in the future). Unless the kid is going to conduct high-powered international business, then there's no real need to learn a language which she isn't going to get much out of. Sorry partner, but I ain't hiring someone who can't communicate with my local and international (South American, Spanish speaking) clients.

Number 2: I guess I should have been a bit more concise and clear, but generally, every ethnic group in Miami is equally segregated, both economically and racially.

Number 3: Go look at census figures for Miami Dade, the majority of white-nonhispanics that live in the county are professional and salaried, mostly upper-middle and upper class. Thus why they can afford to send the kids to Christopher Columbus and pay the 12k yearly tuition for a high school education. Those that cannot, move up to Broward where the demographics are significantly different (and will commute if they work in Dade). Can you find me a white trailer park in Miami Dade? Just ride along 595 eastbound, plenty to the right.

Number 4: Yup, that's right, thus there's no need to hide behind the facade of being PC when statements to the contrary have already been made.

And before calling me a hypocrite, examine your own statements... and don't try to cloud your own xenophobic sentiments by trying to reverse the conversation through subversive rhetoric.

You clearly resent the dominance of hispanic culture in Dade County. I feel sorry for you. You're clearly missing out and are not partaking in the local economy.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
I was watching Pretty in Pink, Some kind of Wonderful, The Breakfast Club and 16 candles and all I can say is that I'm glad I'm not in school anymore.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
"You clearly resent the dominance of hispanic culture in Dade County. I feel sorry for you. You're clearly missing out and are not partaking in the local economy."

I actually like Miami, review all of my posts and you can see that. I have little care what culture is around me, I have resided in too many countries to really give a hoot about one culture over another.

I partake a great deal in the economy, according to my income and taxes paid, a lot more than the majority of people here.

"(has nothing to do with facilitating the myth that immigrants refuse to learn English. If you want to function in this economy, at least locally, you need to learn both languages."

If everyone knows English, then what would the point to learn Spanish? The only reason would be to speak to people who do not know English.

No, to function in this economy on the low wage level, you need to know both languages, and even that is stretching it. Outside a few select fields, fluent knowledge of any language besides English is useless economically speaking. I say this knowing Three other languages besides English and using them daily, but even my international customers rather use English than their native language.

And again, in your promotion of Spanish being for the economic good, you forget Portuguese, Chinese, Russian, German, etc, languages of countries who have very large economies and/or are of political importance. I would understand your argument if you were stating a person should learn a language for an economic benefit, for example Spanish (this list why this would be a good choice), but all you are doing is ranting on how everyone should learn Spanish.

I have said this on many threads and will say it again: The hysteria over needing to know Spanish is just that, hysteria.

"And before calling me a hypocrite, examine your own statements... and don't try to cloud your own xenophobic sentiments by trying to reverse the conversation through subversive rhetoric."

No, why don't you examine my statements and point out the hypocrisy in it for all others to see as I did with you.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:49 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Juicy!! %D

Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdadeguy View Post

PS. I went to school in Miami Lakes and I did just fine...if you choose Miami Lakes your child will either end up in Goleman or Hialeah Miami Lakes. Goleman is a better option. The school board busses students from Carol City to desegregate Hialeah Miami Lakes. Your child will go to school in a very 'urban' environment there.
There are two excellent K-8 centers in Miami Lakes and a third HS that you did not mention. The ML Education Center (formerly known as ML Tech) has evolved into one of the best HS in the county. It is an IB school, no discipline problems and a great staff.

HML draws its low income students from Opa Locka, not Carol City. Sadly, very few Miami Lakes residents now actually attend HML.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

If everyone knows English, then what would the point to learn Spanish? The only reason would be to speak to people who do not know English.

No, to function in this economy on the low wage level, you need to know both languages, and even that is stretching it. Outside a few select fields, fluent knowledge of any language besides English is useless economically speaking. I say this knowing Three other languages besides English and using them daily, but even my international customers rather use English than their native language.

And again, in your promotion of Spanish being for the economic good, you forget Portuguese, Chinese, Russian, German, etc, languages of countries who have very large economies and/or are of political importance. I would understand your argument if you were stating a person should learn a language for an economic benefit, for example Spanish (this list why this would be a good choice), but all you are doing is ranting on how everyone should learn Spanish.

I have said this on many threads and will say it again: The hysteria over needing to know Spanish is just that, hysteria.
I don't know where you're getting the idea that I'm trying to force everyone to learn Spanish. I'm not. I'm saying that if the family is going to move to the area, then learning Spanish will enrich the kid. That's called being smart and taking advantage of the situation.

Once more, what good is Chinese (or any of the other languages you mention) locally (or in the American South West)? Have you looked at the job boards lately -- try to go for an office job in Miami Dade and NOT know Spanish (monolinguals needn't apply).

Unless you're planning to send your kid to Harvard's MBA program (good for you if you are) -- there's no need for them to learn a language that they are NOT going to use.

Demographically -- by 2030 the majority of people in this country will be of Hispanic origin, and you truly think that basic knowledge of Spanish isn't going to help kids in the future?

C'mon. Living. Under. A. Huge. Rock.

Look at Canada. That's our future. You're not going to win the war against Spanish. Lost cause. Was lost since 1848.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami