Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM

275 posts, read 978,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Ok, thanks for sharing me the link.

In strict sense of the word, the cases of "mulatos" in New Spain were really strange. Let's says that he was triracial with an indigenous predominance. If i say this, it is not because im denying his black heritage.

One week ago i read an article which says that more than 1000 blacks from caribbean islands were brought to Mexico; at the end of the time they died due to few diseases. Also existed a plan to brought african-americans to work at some "haciendas" in Veracruz.

The idea of bringing blacks to Mexico was caused as the result of the failed plan to brought european people to Mexico. I dont know why Mexico always had a problem trying to attract white immigrants to our country; i think all of them prefer to go the USA, of course, despite they are going to receive bad treatment as germans, italians, or irish felt.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 PM

39 posts, read 71,725 times
It depends what part of Mexico you are from because different regions have different people that came to that area. I'm from Northern Mexico which has a stronger spanish influence in its people and culture but that doesn't mean every person from the Northern region looks 100% spanish. There was natives and the conquistadors mixed with them (some). I am very dark skinned with big hazel eyes I'm extremely hairy facial hair, chest hair and leg hair. Everywhere I go people think I'm arab. So truth is I know I'm mixed however the percentages of admixture can only be determined with a test. Keep in mind that there are many many tribes of natives in Mexico. The Aztecs only had more recognition because of their large civilization. We also have Tarahumara indians,Tepehuanes, Huichols to name a few and they look nothing like aztecs. So to answer your question the majority of the Mexicans are Mestizo which is native and european admixture. Remember people have been mixing back and forth since colonial times so looks are going to vary from person to person. Basically any race can be found in Mexico because after all it did receive immigration waves although not as large or diverse as the U.S.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:05 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Ok, thanks for sharing me the link.

In strict sense of the word, the cases of "mulatos" in New Spain were really strange. Let's says that he was triracial with an indigenous predominance. If i say this, it is not because im denying his black heritage.

One week ago i read an article which says that more than 1000 blacks from caribbean islands were brought to Mexico; at the end of the time they died due to few diseases. Also existed a plan to brought african-americans to work at some "haciendas" in Veracruz.

The idea of bringing blacks to Mexico was caused as the result of the failed plan to brought european people to Mexico. I dont know why Mexico always had a problem trying to attract white immigrants to our country; i think all of them prefer to go the USA, of course, despite they are going to receive bad treatment as germans, italians, or irish felt.
African slaves were brought to Mexico to work in the cane and mining industries. No, not all died. At one time, Mexico City had a huge African and Afro-Mestizo population, including fine artists. There exists today a large concentration of decendants of those African slaves in the state of Guerrero. And also some in the state of Veracruz. In addition top the slaves, the Egyptians sent black Nubians to Veracruz to fight Mexico on behalf of France. The big difference between Mexican immigrants to the USA and European and Asian immigrants is that most of the Europeans and Asians have arrived legally. Contrasted with millions of Mexicans who disrespected the laws and entered illegally. Citizens of most countries don't think highly of lawbreakers.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,544 times
Most have Amerindian and European blood in them.

Then you have the pure Europeans and Ameridians scattered.

A smaller minority has African blood in them.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At one time in Mexico there were more African slaves than Spaniards and about as many slaves as Indians because small pox deciminated the Indian population. Mixing is what allowed those with Indian blood to survive the diseases brought over because the Africans and Europeans had genetic immunity. After slavery ended, immigration from Europe continued but not from Africa.

But mixing would require physical contact, and would that not spread the germs even more, and kill you within nine months?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,027,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1b2 View Post
Are almost all of them part Spanish? I know a lot have Aztec in them, who were living in Mexico before the Spanish. Are a lot of Mexicans part black?

When I see a Mexican, I just consider them Mexican, nothing in particular like Spanish or Aztec or anything.
From doing a google:

The study found that the Mestizo population of these Mexican states were on average 55.2% (with a margin of error of ±15.4%) of indigenous ancestry followed by 41.8% (±15.5%) of European, 1.8% (±3.5%) of African, and 1.2% (±1.8%) of East Asian ancestry.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM

318 posts, read 625,722 times
"Mexican" is the largest ancestry in the US population.
"German" is second.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM

13 posts, read 45,151 times
Its kinda strange that according to the US Census data for 2010 .... Mexicans living in USA are 63% white . Is it ... i guess if we are talking about Alexis biedel , Christina Aguilera , Cameron Diaz .... they all look whites to me .... infact they are .... but what about the rest .... ???

White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM

836 posts, read 2,949,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_predator View Post
Its kinda strange that according to the US Census data for 2010 .... Mexicans living in USA are 63% white . Is it ... i guess if we are talking about Alexis biedel , Christina Aguilera , Cameron Diaz .... they all look whites to me .... infact they are .... but what about the rest .... ???
None of them are from mexican ancestry...

Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,588,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1b2 View Post
Are almost all of them part Spanish? I know a lot have Aztec in them, who were living in Mexico before the Spanish. Are a lot of Mexicans part black?

When I see a Mexican, I just consider them Mexican, nothing in particular like Spanish or Aztec or anything.
The indigenous population of the USA at settlement by the British was probably 2.1 million (although some estimates range considerably higher). The 13 colonies were established from 1609 to 1714. By 1800, the US census was 5.3 million but the native population of the present-day United States had declined to approximately 600,000 . African slaves were imported from early 1600's until 1808 legally, and illegally until the 1860's. Cross breeding (by marriage or rape) was relatively rare in British North America.

The indigenous population of Mexico at the Spanish conquest was probably 22 million (of which the Aztecs were only a portion). Mexico had far more sophisticated cities, some even more developed than in Europe. By 1800, Mexico had a total population of 6-10 million but at that time Mexico included present-day Mexico, most of Central America (Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama) as well as today's US States of California, Nevada, Utah, Texas and parts of Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming. The native population. Much of the population had a mixture of native and European ancestors. The number of African slaves was relatively small compared with the American South.

In the present day Mexicans with mostly or visibly significant black ancestry number about half a million, compared to 40 million in the USA.

In general most of the pre-columbian population of roughly 54 million in the entire Western Hemisphere died out. Although war, overwork, massacres and other atrocities took their share of lives, primarily it was because of massive deaths due to European disease. It took well over 300 years to restore the population of the hemisphere to 50 million, and by then most people had some European blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico