Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:44 PM

702 posts, read 3,154,566 times

Advertisements

I gave the dentist info and the newspaper info that you wanted (?) I have no reason to continue this discussion. You have your mind made up. I wish you safe travels, Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,886,595 times
Is Puerto Peñasco as hot as San Felipe, B.C. ?
I stayed once in San Felipe during August, it was burning hell.
Even the water of the Sea of Cortez was warm, there was no way to cool down short of staying in the air conditioned stores.
The air was so dry and hot that the sounds themselves sounded distorted!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM

93 posts, read 286,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Is Puerto Peñasco as hot as San Felipe, B.C. ?
I stayed once in San Felipe during August, it was burning hell.
Even the water of the Sea of Cortez was warm, there was no way to cool down short of staying in the air conditioned stores.
The air was so dry and hot that the sounds themselves sounded distorted!
It's in the Sonoran Desert. Its climate is the same as that of southern Arizona.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM
hwr

1 posts, read 2,379 times
Mazatlan is our favorite, but have been to Rocky Point many times( 15 or so) and always enjoy it. Never a problem with anything. Good People, good food, easy access and much more. Usually stay at Playa de Oro RV park. Nite security, good water, nice people etc. All in all a good time. Two weeks is usually long enough.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,186 times
@Bovice: I, too, lived and surfed in Orange County (Huntington Beach). I live on the beach in Rocky Point now, and I'm sorry to say that there is no surf to speak of. You can windsurf or kite-board, bodysurf (occasionally), kayak and sail, but there's no point bringing your board (unless it's a kite board or a skim board). It's still fun.
@Chimil: I've lived here full time for almost 10 years, and while there have been some incidents of violence, it is much less likely to happen to an American visitor than it is in most cities in the US. The drug related violence is just that: if you're not in the drug cartel, or fighting them, and if you stay away from the sketchy parts of town (tourists don't know where these places are), then you should be fine.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times
I am also very tired (pejerey) of reading all the "big bad stories" about Rocky Point. I was wondering when someone was going to catch the comment referencing the "car abductions" between Why and Rocky Point! Like any country, including the U.S. when you visit you respect their laws. You don't look for trouble and you don't go into areas you are not familiar with. Simple. I love R.P. and actually purchased a property there back in 2006 on Sandy Beach. Can't beat the price, the ocean and the very nice people we have met over the years. As far as a dentist is concerned, just ask a few people for referrals and you'll get more than you ever dreamed of!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 24,501 times
Defending Rocky Point is futile. People own their own fears and no one can really change that. I just had my 5th anniversary of living here in RP. I plan to stay as long as Mexico will let me or my health goes away, whichever comes first. The U.S. people believe we are free and we are to a degree. Control of the masses is done psychologically through the media. It seems we are believing in all they say and follow suit. The real truth is only in what you see and experience. God help us all!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 992 times
My daughter was in RP in July of 2013. Her first day there a Mexican citizen rear-ended her car and then demanded $500.00.
When she said no, the woman called the police - which my daughter mistakenly thought was a good thing. The police (one man and one quite heavy woman) pointed rifles at her, stomped on her feet, yelled at her in Spanish, and took her to jail.
They kept her there for 5 days without feeding her or notifying any family or American authorities. When they finally let her out, they returned her belongings except for her cash, several of her check blanks, and her smart phone When she returned to the U.S., she discovered they had cashed $2000.00 in checks and charged over $2000.00 on her credit cards while they had her locked up. We are still fighting the credit card fraud since they were able to forge her signature quite convincingly.
Oh yeah, Rocky Point is really safe - AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GET ROBBED BY THE POLICE!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 AM

6,516 posts, read 7,569,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA forever View Post
My daughter was in RP in July of 2013. Her first day there a Mexican citizen rear-ended her car and then demanded $500.00.
When she said no, the woman called the police - which my daughter mistakenly thought was a good thing. The police (one man and one quite heavy woman) pointed rifles at her, stomped on her feet, yelled at her in Spanish, and took her to jail.
They kept her there for 5 days without feeding her or notifying any family or American authorities. When they finally let her out, they returned her belongings except for her cash, several of her check blanks, and her smart phone When she returned to the U.S., she discovered they had cashed $2000.00 in checks and charged over $2000.00 on her credit cards while they had her locked up. We are still fighting the credit card fraud since they were able to forge her signature quite convincingly.
Oh yeah, Rocky Point is really safe - AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GET ROBBED BY THE POLICE!
The police pointed rifles at her and yelled at her. I think your story is a lie Mr 1 time poster.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,841,908 times
My wife and I went down to RP a few years ago, and had a really good time. Only had a few hiccups there. For one, never agree to a " free breakfast" at Mayan Palace. It was an absolute hard-sell nightmare. But after that, the rest of the trip was fairly nice. The person we booked the condo from told me that when we start seeing sand we were getting close to the town. Seemed like we started seeing the sand dunes miles before we even got to the town. It was a lot of fun walking around the Fish Market, and bargaining with the vendors. The people were super nice wherever we went. We went to a restaurant ( think the name was Sir Amigo?) and had a good meal. The waiter showed us how to feed the sea gulls right outside the window by our table, and that was fun. Wife really got a kick out of that. Then, since we were the only ones on the second floor of the restaurant, the Mariachi trio came to the table, and gave us a serenade after our meal. That was fun. Max's Café had the best fish tacos, though several folks said there were other places that might rival his. Max was a real personable fellow, as well as all his wait-staff there, too.

We crossed into the states on a Sunday morning, and all the guard did was check the passport, and wave us on. It was a fun experience, but not our idea of a tropical Mexican paradise. I can't imagine how it must be in the summer there. We went in November, and it was awfully hot. It was an interesting trip, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico