Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:33 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbiceps View Post
Seems like most people are Arizonans on here. As a current Arizonan I much prefer going to Mazatlan when it's not hot it's like 9 hours away but blows Rocky point right out of the water.
I agree. There's about a dozen miles of great beaches there, too, which are very similar in look and feel to the beaches in SoCal. More great restaurants than you can shake a stick at; opera/ballet/live theater at the wonderful Angela Peralta Theater if you like that; fresh seafood; outstanding fishing, both deep sea and land based; and you can live as cheap or high end as you want or can afford-- your choice. The expat community in Mazatlan is good sized (increases exponentially in the winter when the snowbirds arrive) and full of good, helpful people.

I think Mazatlan is one of Mexico's best kept secrets as a vacationing and retirement destination. Sshhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,580 times
I've been to Rocky Point many, many times and always have a blast. Super cheap camping right on the beach, fresh seafood, $1 beers and margaritas starting at breakfast, getting your hair braided, fun shopping at the fish market and haggling with vendors on the beach. Just south of town is a delightfully tacky aquarium with a touch pool and a huge whale skeleton. So much fun for the kiddies. Early November during Las Dias del Muertes has many interesting festivals and art displays. Perfect weather then, too.

Tips: NEVER ever go there during July/August - the humidity is simply miserable as mentioned on a previous post. Going in the water only makes you hotter. And any trendy little bars/clubs where you see a bunch of douchebag American guys drinking Bud Light and spanking their girlfriends on the dance floor riding the pole - just stay away. There are plenty of divey little cafes/bars where the Chads and Buffys don't go.

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2007 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: attack edited out, calm down

Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,105 times
Default Greetings from Penasco

Hey all,
Just joined these forums and thought I could add to the discussion about Puerto Penasco. I am down there every week (full disclosure - I'm a real estate developer) so know the area pretty well and can give tips on the area, buying property, border crossing, etc. I also just started a blog (no advertising) where I will be posting a lot of information about Puerto Penasco and some about Mexico in general. Check it out when you get a chance. I also try to keep up to date on Mexican politics and its global financial situation so will be adding to the Mexico discussions in general where appropriate.

I'm obviously a big backer of Puerto Penasco, but also realize it has a long way to go. It really isn't fair to compare the area to San Diego, Mazatlan, Cozumel or really any other vacation destination at this point. Penasco is really in a unique situation right now as a drivable destination that will cater to American tourist and retirees. However, development is just starting and the tourism infrastructure is so far behind the condo development that, for now, it is simply a place to get to the beach and enjoy either your Las Conchas home or Sandy Beach condominium (and to grab some great tacos and seafood).

That being said, all of those things are on the way. Pavement is coming, the city and state are working to figure out the water situation, the aforementioned coastal highway and international airport are in progress, new restaurants are opening monthly, and a new city-wide master plan has been put in place to work on orderly growth over the next 25 years.

If you come down only once every five years, you won't recognize the place when you visit. So I recommend at least monthly visits (maybe skipping August - it's too sticky).

Anyway, I will check back often on here and can answer most questions you have about Puerto Penasco. Hope to also see comments and questions on my blog.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 09-29-2007 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: no advertising of blog. Please use DM

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 14,105 times
Default Border Governor's Conference - Puerto Penasco

Hey all,
Just got back from attending the Border Governor's Conference in Puerto Penasco. Was very well done with President Calderon, Governor Napolitano, Governor Schwarzenegger, Governor Bours and other governors in attedance. Secretary Chertoff also made an appearance today. A very high profile event for Penasco which has created some new buzz about the importance of the city and its tourism market to Mexico. -Paul

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 09-29-2007 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: no advertising of your own blog. maybe people will DM you.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 AM

14 posts, read 71,387 times
I go to Puerto Penasco every two weeks for a few days of sailing. I keep my boat next to JJ's in Cholla Bay. I've been doing this for nearly five years and have never had the least problem with theft, bad cops, or any of the rest of the problems others have mentioned. The problems exist, but I haven't experienced them. I go there for the sailing, which is incredible, the fishing (ditto) and sitting on the terrace drinking beer and eating seafood. I usually sleep on my boat, but sometimes camp on the beach, which is free if you walk in and $5 a night if you drive in (more security for your car). I like San Diego, too, but who needs the traffic, the expenses, and how many times do you have to watch Shamu pimp for the tourists anyhow? I'd rather tease the dogfish at the weird aquarium on the south end of town.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 24,485 times
Default Rocky Point, Mexico and crime

I have been disturbed by the media scaring everyone about going to Rocky Point! They generalize by saying, "Mexico". That's like saying, "Don't go to the United States because they have high crime in Detroit! I personally spend about 8 months a year down there. I am a U.S. citizen, retired in my 50's. I can't say it is wrong for parents to not want your kids to go down for spring break, after all, it is another country. Getting drunk and disorderly and putting themselves in a vunerable state is not good anywhere you go. Even families who normally like to spend time on the Rocky Point beaches are intimidated. I just have to say, my experience is one of anyone who spends a considerable time there that I feel safer there than in Phx. It is a good town with good people. Spring break last year was down by 40% and I suspect it will now be an even great decline. Don't get me wrong. I don't prefer the crowds but I can't help feeling bad for this town and it's businesses who rely on tourism so greatly. Worried about crime? Take a good look in your own back yard!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,132 times
What about the two young students killed in Rocky Point just weeks ago!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
What about the two young students killed in Rocky Point just weeks ago!
could you provide us with a reliable source, about this? it'd be very useful, thanks

Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,132 times
All I know is that it was on the local Tucson radio. I didn't hear all the details.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
All I know is that it was on the local Tucson radio. I didn't hear all the details.
Unfortunately in that case is impossible to claim authencity as the source can't be verified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico