Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times

Advertisements

I watched a House Hunters Int'l last night in which this resort city was featured. Has anybody been there recently? It looks like a mini-Cancun. Is it as nice as HHI made it out to be? How safe is the town and the area in general? Is it a good fit for retirees? I imagine it's blast-furnace hot in the summer but I suppose that can be alleviated with AC. I have my eye on one of those really nice brand-new modern condo complexes on the water---looked like 2000 sqft for 275K.

Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 AM

570 posts, read 491,828 times
Since the new American past time now is driving on dunas I got some friends who now are working as parking attendants in the desert for "gringos" who spend their weekends on that part of the Sonora desert.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,898,473 times
Very safe as long as you stick to that area and then stick to the main road heading north. Its very isolated though, not much nearby and no commercial air traffic around. Its perfect for what it is, a weekend getaway for people living in urban desert.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,553,506 times
We drove down there for 4th of July 3 day weekend this year, we stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom large beach front condo on the 8th floor of the Sonoran Spa Resort for about $650 dollars (3 nights-holiday weekend rates). The condo was very nice and comfortable with a full kithchen (dishes, pots and pans), and 3 tv's with cable television in the living room and one in each bedroom. The pool was nice (kid friendly) and the sea water was nice and warm. It was hot and I was cuaght off guard by the humidity, I thought it would be desert dry heat. The beach sand was very coarse, alot thicker than what we are used to.

Before thinking about buying a place, stay down there a couple of weekends. Here is a website where you can see all of the hotels/condos for rent. Lots of tourist from California, Arizona and New Mexico down there.

Rocky Point Mexico | Puerto Penasco Mexico | Hotels & Resort Rentals

I highly recommend staying down there for a weekend. My only complaint, no internet in our condo but I guess it was good to be disconnected for the weekend.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:28 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
We drove down there for 4th of July 3 day weekend this year, we stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom large beach front condo on the 8th floor of the Sonoran Spa Resort for about $650 dollars (3 nights-holiday weekend rates). The condo was very nice and comfortable with a full kithchen (dishes, pots and pans), and 3 tv's with cable television in the living room and one in each bedroom. The pool was nice (kid friendly) and the sea water was nice and warm. It was hot and I was cuaght off guard by the humidity, I thought it would be desert dry heat. The beach sand was very coarse, alot thicker than what we are used to.

Before thinking about buying a place, stay down there a couple of weekends. Here is a website where you can see all of the hotels/condos for rent. Lots of tourist from California, Arizona and New Mexico down there.

Rocky Point Mexico | Puerto Penasco Mexico | Hotels & Resort Rentals

I highly recommend staying down there for a weekend. My only complaint, no internet in our condo but I guess it was good to be disconnected for the weekend.
Thank you for that feedback. Very helpful. When you said unexpected humidity that caught me off-guard as I too thought the desert setting would override the fact it is next to the "ocean". I hate humidity. That combined with isolation makes me decide to scratch it off my list. These House Hunter shows can really paint lipstick on a pig sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico