Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,047,999 times

Advertisements

No Byland, I realize that. The car is intended for the city, not the highway. I stated that clearly. It is relatively safe for its intended use.

What irks me is folks look at it and automatically say, it is unsafe.

Did you know that the large american sedans of the 60's had a tendency to launch the transmission into the passenger compartment in a front end collision. Yet most posters here thing those cars were 'safe'.

Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,520,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
No Byland, I realize that. The car is intended for the city, not the highway. I stated that clearly. It is relatively safe for its intended use.

What irks me is folks look at it and automatically say, it is unsafe.

Did you know that the large american sedans of the 60's had a tendency to launch the transmission into the passenger compartment in a front end collision. Yet most posters here thing those cars were 'safe'.

Not so much.
I've seen quite a few Smart cars on the highway. You may want to pass that message along then.

Let's be honest, most people call the Smart car unsafe because...in comparison to what else is out there, IT IS. Yeah, my 03 F150 may have been among that design that the IIHS decided to slam into a block of cement or whatever and call it unsafe, but I guarantee you it fares a ton better against a Smart car.

As for the 60s, that's what was around back then. And? Well, I agree with you there. About the only ones who think highly of those cars are the ones who think carburetors are God's gift to automobiles.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,377,993 times
nm

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM

24,521 posts, read 33,392,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
As for the 60s, that's what was around back then. And? Well, I agree with you there. About the only ones who think highly of those cars are the ones who think carburetors are God's gift to automobiles.
Hey, carburetors sound great at WOT (wide open throttle)!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 PM

24,521 posts, read 33,392,715 times
Quote:
Did you know that the large american sedans of the 60's had a tendency to launch the transmission into the passenger compartment in a front end collision. Yet most posters here thing those cars were 'safe'..
I have seen quite a few collision pictures of '60s cars and some in person and from what I've seen, the transmission intruding into the passenger compartment was a quite rare occurrence.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,929,048 times
Quote:
You do realize that this crash with a Smart you posted isn't really a good one to show how safe they are right? The conclusion is that the passengers would have died in the collision due to the forces involved (about 5:10 - end). Car isn't totally destroyed, but anybody inside is. That doesn't make it Safe, it just makes the EMT's job easier to remove the bodies without having to cut the thing into pieces. Plus I don't see the concrete moving at any speed at all toward the Smart like another vehicle would in a real head-on collision. All this proves is that you are probably going to die if you have a head-on in a Smart and both vehicles are only traveling 35MPH.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,199,502 times
hilarious photoshop job

Very Cool Car, by the way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,199,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You do realize that this crash with a Smart you posted isn't really a good one to show how safe they are right? The conclusion is that the passengers would have died in the collision due to the forces involved (about 5:10 - end). Car isn't totally destroyed, but anybody inside is. That doesn't make it Safe, it just makes the EMT's job easier to remove the bodies without having to cut the thing into pieces. Plus I don't see the concrete moving at any speed at all toward the Smart like another vehicle would in a real head-on collision. All this proves is that you are probably going to die if you have a head-on in a Smart and both vehicles are only traveling 35MPH.

I have known personally people who have taken some unbelievable G-Forces and survived, relatively unscathed. I have also known personally, people who have been involved in extremely minor collisions that have resulted in unexplainable fatalities.

The point being that I would rather have a car that will withstand a collision than one that will not. It will increase the possibility of survival. In the event of a crash, I want ALL THE ODDS I can possibly get.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM

Remember that I said relatively safe. And it is, compared to similarly sized cars.

I also said that this car would not work for me, I drive mountain roads, freeways and avoid cramped cities.

My point is that it is safer than many who have posted here may think at first glance, without knowing much about the car. I am trying to offer information, but I knew that talking some sense here would be wasted on the biased.

Happy New Year everyone!

And may all of us continue to be free to choose whatever works best for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart